Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Need to move my 'Documents' Folder on Windows Laptop without affecting Virtual DJ Operation

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

karz10PRO InfinityMember since 2010
Hi all,

I have a brand new system on Windows 10 mainly used for DJn which has a 512G SSD drive + a 2TB internal, but that's not the system I currently have a question about.

The machine I'm asking about used to be my main machine, now it's my backup machine. One issue I'm having with it is the C drive getting overused while the D drive is mostly empty. A PC repair guy told me to move my documents and related folders over to my D drive, freeing up my C drive to run programs etc., and there's a way to do it where all your programs that use or save things to your 'Documents' folder will find it on the D drive, instead of on the C drive, so I want to do this, but want to make sure it doesn't mess up VDJ.

On this machine, running Windows 8.1, I have a 2TB system built as 1TB x 1TB internal. I keep all my MUSIC and VIDEOS on an External Drive, but some VDJ related files and databases are kept currently on the C Drive, which is under C:/Users/Username/Documents and there is a process to 'MOVE' all the contents from this to D:/Users/Username/Documents, which I need to do in order to free up space. Since this is now my 'backup DJ' computer, it's kind of my all around computer now and has other files on it.

Since other programs will know that my 'Documents' folder is on D now instead of C, will VDJ also automatically realize that, or is there something I need to do in order to make VDJ still access and save database entries and updates to the proper folder? The reason I want to do it this way, instead of manually moving all docs, pics, vids etc and leaving the official 'Documents' 'Pictures' 'Videos' etc folders on the C drive is so that with other programs that may access these folders through a backend link instead of a file path link, it will be easier to manage and backup etc., so I was hoping VDJ would act the same way, but if it only follows a filepath route and now the Windows location for 'Documents' folder, then I figure I'll have to tweak something.

The process I'm using is similar to what's linked here: https://www.pcworld.com/article/2079571/move-your-libraries-to-a-second-drive-or-partition.html

Thanks for any insight here.

Inviato Mon 03 Sep 18 @ 10:12 pm
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
..All media files should always be moved within VDJ with the move command, as far as the default program folder, I believe this also could be done too, but not 100% sure in version 8.

Inviato Mon 03 Sep 18 @ 10:43 pm
You can move the home folder in the Windows registry.

Think it's local machine, software, virtualdj.

I have my home folder on SSD (D drive) and it works perfectly.

Inviato Mon 03 Sep 18 @ 10:44 pm
karz10PRO InfinityMember since 2010
So to be clear, I'm keeping all my programs, including VDJ on the native C drive. However, I'm trying to move all my 'Documents' and other related native Windows 'User' folders to the empty D drive internally.

So things like the 'Virtual DJ' folder that contains databases for history, playlists etc. will now be physically located on the D drive, but its location will be considered the new Windows directory folder for 'Documents' via the process I pasted above, as I'm not just merely copying and pasting my Documents folder from one drive to another. Does that make sense?

Inviato Mon 03 Sep 18 @ 10:53 pm
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Best thing to do is copy c:\ Virtual Dj Folder to new location D:\, then move media files within VDJ once done, Use the registry tool to change the default program folder and save...
Rename the VDJ folder in Drive C:\ for just in case, then start VDJ and try it out... Good Luck..

Inviato Mon 03 Sep 18 @ 11:09 pm
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
And back everything up beforehand. I believe you said your media was mostly on external so that will take care of itself.

Inviato Tue 04 Sep 18 @ 2:18 am
If you're using NTFS, you can also use hard links, junctions and symbolic links.

I've done this on my tower PC, which has a small SSD for OS and two striped drives for storage.

Inviato Tue 04 Sep 18 @ 7:40 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)