Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Sound on VDJ 2018 with Reloop Beatmix isn't high quality

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Hi,

While moving to a new computer, I've also installed the new VDJ 2018 (previously I had the VDJ7).
I am working with Reloop Beatmix.

It seems that the sound coming out of the controller now isn't high quality and sounds vague.
Issues are most distinct when the gain is too high and the song gets into distortion.
Previously it wouldn't cause any issues.
Now it makes the song's volume go up and down erratically.

I've checked the Reloop Beatmix drivers between the 2 computers (both running Win 10) and they are the same.
Might this be an issue with VDJ 2018 not working well with the controller?
I'm afraid to install VDJ 7 on the new computer for comparison, because I don't know how it will affect my current database or other things VDJ 2018-related.

Any thoughts?

Inviato Tue 04 Sep 18 @ 2:57 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
When you turn up the gain too much, in VDJ7 you would get clipping distortion.
In VDJ8 the limiter kicks in to prevent this distortion by temporarily lowering the gain.

To preserve quality in either case, it is better to increase the volume on your amplifier, instead of pushing the gain in software.

Inviato Tue 04 Sep 18 @ 3:19 pm
Adion wrote :
When you turn up the gain too much, in VDJ7 you would get clipping distortion.
In VDJ8 the limiter kicks in to prevent this distortion by temporarily lowering the gain.

To preserve quality in either case, it is better to increase the volume on your amplifier, instead of pushing the gain in software.

Thanks!
Is there a way to know beforehand if a song will reach distortion during the song (anything I can see on the waveform or something like that?)

How would you recommend handling songs that have very low volume intros?
I saw people writing about LoudMax here.
Is that a good solution? any other solutions?

Inviato Wed 05 Sep 18 @ 10:18 pm
The CORRECT way to handle this is:

1) Set autoGain option to "Auto" (not Auto+Remember)
2) Set zeroDB option at -3db (personally I use -6db most of the time)
3) Adjust gain only if you have to do and only for the parts of the song you have to. Adjusting gains IS part of the mixing procedure since a lot of songs (depending on genre of course) are not written as "dj friendly" with constant RMS values from the beginning to the end. Instead they use a higher dynamic range (which generally is good and makes sound sound more natural) that makes a dj's job more difficult.

Quick note: If AutoGain is set to "Auto+Remember" at first all is good. But as time passes by you end up with most of your songs playing at different volumes because of adjustments you made manually. And since VirtualDJ remembers only the last adjustment, the last adjustment of a track may have been an adjustment made to match another manually wrong adjusted track, which gives 2 wrong adjusted tracks.... Soon your entire collection has wrongly configured manually gains...

Inviato Thu 06 Sep 18 @ 7:07 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)