Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Re analyze question/suggestion - Page: 2

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

Increasing storage capacity it's a lot cheaper than buying a new laptop. And from deal with traitor stems the file is a bout the size of a good quality video.

Inviato Sun 21 Jun 20 @ 3:34 am
Yh well let's see how this will progress...it's early days at the moment

Inviato Sun 21 Jun 20 @ 3:52 am
No issues with the CPU peaking momentarily for me.

I've tested on several machines and only one is incapable, but then it's an Intel Atom and very low powered.

Both my Macbook Pro 16" and Lenovo C940 use CPU calculation, and load the video files with stem calculation in a couple of seconds.

There's no issue with a CPU maxing out, they're meant to do that. I edit video files all the time and encode them and the CPU maxes out and the machine gets hot during the processing. They are meant to do this.

Inviato Sun 21 Jun 20 @ 6:21 am
kradcliffe wrote :
I edit video files...........the CPU maxes out

But do you do this while you're DJing? That's what he's concerned about - if the CPU maxing out causes an issue with playback.

Inviato Sun 21 Jun 20 @ 8:12 am
Well when I tested the GPD Pocket the CPU was maxed out for probably a minute while creating the stems but no dropouts.

Inviato Sun 21 Jun 20 @ 8:17 am
I mean if you're fine with CPU peaking at close to max while live...but you are certain it will not hamper your performance...that's up to you..but I am not ready to take that jump yet lol

Inviato Sun 21 Jun 20 @ 2:35 pm
the official answer from Atomix is:
it is totally fine for the CPU to jump to 100%.
computers are designed that way.
100% cpu doesn't mean your computer is overloading. it just means that there are no processes spending time doing nothing.
but there's still plenty of room for all the important processes to start doing whatever important they have to do (like play your sound uninterrupted).
so yes, your CPU is expected to jump to 100%. if it wouldn't, it would mean we didn't do our work correctly and are under-utilizing the resources at our disposal.
If you buy a 500$ laptop, it's not to use only 100$ of its power all the time ;) (otherwise, buy a 100$ laptop)

Inviato Sun 21 Jun 20 @ 5:52 pm
Ya but its everytime you load a track...and constantly maxing your CPU has its known long term trade offs...

Inviato Sun 21 Jun 20 @ 6:54 pm
Well it's a matter of opinion. I'm not concerned at all.

Back when I started using a laptop to DJ in 1999 it was slow, CPU's maxed out etc. and I have never had a PC fail or burn out.

Inviato Sun 21 Jun 20 @ 6:57 pm
its totally normal to run 100% .. (or in other words as much as the computer allows at any given time).
Like said above, the cpu is not there for decorations :) its there to be used .. extensively

If I remember correctly, all versions of VirtualDJ use 100% at track load, to make sure the track loads as fast as possible, why wouldnt it ;-)
Now 2021 might use a few seconds more on the load process, but that should be all ok ;-)

https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-system-monitor/stable/cpu-mem-normal.html

The only "problem" would be if it was 100% all the time for long long time, and the computer would get hot (potentially)..and sluggish. But that is not the case here ;-)

Inviato Sun 21 Jun 20 @ 7:02 pm
Yh agree...to all their own....but I applaud the feature...but it not for me in its current form

Inviato Sun 21 Jun 20 @ 7:03 pm

And speaking from other computer use, rendering out a video, doing heavy work etc, the computer uses full powers during the process ;-)

Inviato Sun 21 Jun 20 @ 7:05 pm
He's convinced something will go wrong, so there's nothing else we can do. :-(

Inviato Sun 21 Jun 20 @ 7:27 pm
Lol things may improve in the future in terms of CPU usage...I know some may not understand...but I'm from the Caribbean and sometimes we mix in songs even after 4 seconds at times...is those type of situations I'm worried about...yes I can test it before going live...but I guess what I'm trying to say is that virtual DJ or the laptop itself is more likely to give in under higher strains compared to that of when the option is disabled...ps vdj has never crashed in normal use on me..so kudos to the team always!

Inviato Sun 21 Jun 20 @ 8:13 pm
I'm sure you could set a custom button to switch the feature on or off instantly.

If I'm just at a function playing old crap I would probably just disable it but if it's a gig where I can be creative mixing it would be enabled.

Any idea what the script would be to switch it on and off?

Inviato Sun 21 Jun 20 @ 8:33 pm
setting mathEngine 'disabled' ? setting mathEngine 'automatic' : setting mathEngine 'disabled'

Change automatic to GPU or CPU if that's your preference

Inviato Sun 21 Jun 20 @ 9:03 pm
yh or to 'fool' the custom button to be lit when your desired engine is selected

setting "mathEngine" & setting "mathEngine" Automatic ? setting "mathEngine" Disabled : setting "mathEngine" Disabled ? setting "mathEngine" Automatic

Inviato Sun 21 Jun 20 @ 9:18 pm
setting mathEngine 'disabled' ? off & setting mathEngine 'automatic' : on & setting mathEngine 'disabled'

This will light the button when the mathEngine is on.

Inviato Sun 21 Jun 20 @ 9:24 pm
Dj Pari M wrote :
I guess what I'm trying to say is that virtual DJ or the laptop itself is more likely to give in under higher strains compared to that of when the option is disabled...

Everybody can have their own opinion of course.
We're just saying that we, the developers of this application, are telling you that virtualdj will not have more chances to crash because the cpu is at 100%
And we're probably in a better position to know, being, you know, the guys who wrote this ;)

Inviato Mon 22 Jun 20 @ 5:06 am
Ok ok...point taken...the thing is that there are other things running that may be affected...but from what I gather..the feature is designed to utilize all 'spare' CPU power...so I assume if virtual DJ alone is running..it will use x CPU power..and If i open an internet browser for example and it uses 30% CPU on it's own...vdj's max cpu 'appetite' should now be x - 30.
Correct???

Inviato Mon 22 Jun 20 @ 5:19 am
73%