Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Just thinking loud

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

HeltinoPRO InfinityMember since 2020
Well, I purchased the Infinity Pro this weekend after a few tests within the testing period.
Guys around me told me that it is a little strange to buy a hobby software for the price that is even higher than the professional ones.
(everybody should know which competitors they are meaning)

I disagreed, as I have used the competitors (at least the big three for in total +15 years) and ended up at VDJ. SO VDJ was not the amateur starter for me, it was the result of many years of experience. There are plenty of reasons, I will not repeat them again....VDJ users know what is the added value.

FInally I told them, far away from any personal opinion if VDJ is pro or not pro, that the pricing is high, but ok due to the fact that VDJ comes with a lot of stuff out of the box to be paid additional at the competition....so far, so good.

BUT: This discussion showed me something, Atomix should think about.
The major blame was the price for the hobby software....WHY?
In my point of view due to the fact, that the difference for a lot of guys is to small to point out the value.
The pro version of VDJ seems expensive just due to the fact, that the difference from the free version is for a lot of guys much to small.
I guess >90% (even me) go for the pro just to have the controller option.

A suggestion from my side to Atomix is:
Think about to remove features from the free version (or make them a 30days trial) to differenciate it more from the pay versions.
I don´t think the pay versions are too expensive (maybe a little "high end pricing", but not way too much), I think the free version can do nearly the same what makes the pro version just looking ridiculous expensive.

If I would be Atomix I would remove instant stems and video from the free version (or better limit them to 30 days) just to make the pricing more serious.
I´m convinced if somebody is testing VDJ with the stems....he like to keep this and will become a paying customer. (what is as well good for all other customers as this gives budget for further development)

Just my 2 cents...

Inviato Sun 04 Oct 20 @ 10:53 am
VDJ costs exactly the same as Serato with all options - of course VDJ can do lot more than Serato (and IMO it's a lot more pro than Serato), but still that is probably what you should be looking at when comparing prices

The main difference between the free version (after the trial period) an the pro version is hardware
You simply can't use the free version with hardware. So if you use the free version it will be mouse and keyboard only, which will not make sense for 99% of DJs who are actually doing gigs.
So I think the current way is just about the perfect way of separating them. You can test and try anything you want for as long as you want with the free version. But when you want to use VDJ as a DJ who is actually DJing, you need to pay for the software

Inviato Sun 04 Oct 20 @ 11:04 am
klausmogensen wrote :
VDJ costs exactly the same as Serato with all options - of course VDJ can do lot more than Serato (and IMO it's a lot more pro than Serato), but still that is probably what you should be looking at when comparing prices

The main difference between the free version (after the trial period) an the pro version is hardware
You simply can't use the free version with hardware. So if you use the free version it will be mouse and keyboard only, which will not make sense for 99% of DJs who are actually doing gigs.
So I think the current way is just about the perfect way of separating them. You can test and try anything you want for as long as you want with the free version. But when you want to use VDJ as a DJ who is actually DJing, you need to pay for the software

I´ve purchased an paid, so I don´t complain at all.
Just seen the fact that 99% of the discussions is based on the fact, that (in functionality) the free version can do the same as the pro version.
So you have a 299$ gap that is just closed due to the hardware option.

For me fine, but I could follow the argumentation a little as it is not totally wrong.

By the way, for the "pro" attitude:
I left Traktor due to the strange hardware decisions. I´m a DJ, not a producer....
I left Serato due to the fact that this "ultra pro" software was not reliable at all. I had not a single gig (Controller was NS7II) without a full connection lost of the controller. (support unable to fix >12 month)
I left Rekordbox as it seems to be the mix up of the other both...but for me...no idea. Working, but the fun was missing. Something like "no soul".
I went to VDJ as it is pro due to: hardware support as no other, full function package as no other.....and I HAVE FUN AGAIN!

So I agree 100%, VDJ is for me pro, in fact, based on non emotional and objective technology, as well.

Inviato Sun 04 Oct 20 @ 11:20 am
Heltino wrote :

So you have a 299$ gap that is just closed due to the hardware option.

Just? That is really everything :)
If you plan to DJ with it, hardware is not an option. It's a necessity

Compare it to a car:
The VDJ (car)engine is free to use at home. It can sit there in your living room running idle as long as you like
But if you want the surrounding parts that make it become a car, then you have to pay

Inviato Sun 04 Oct 20 @ 2:03 pm
klausmogensen wrote :

Just? That is really everything :)
If you plan to DJ with it, hardware is not an option. It's a necessity

Compare it to a car:
The VDJ (car)engine is free to use at home. It can sit there in your living room running idle as long as you like
But if you want the surrounding parts that make it become a car, then you have to pay

I´m still convinced that it is a little strange to open all functions (except hardware and broadcasting) in the free version.
a) as mentioned I think a limitation of the instant stems will move guys to buy it. (even if just 2%....that is gained income with no invest)
b) even if I don´t think so, I can follow guys that blame VDJ as "non pro" just due to the fact that it is, basically, free. (what is by the way as well a strange definition of being pro or not...just pro due to payment?)

To your car comparison:
Let´s take a Porsche.
a) you can have it 100% for free, just the gate key of the garage is charged 100k Dollar
b) you buy it for 100k Dollar and drive

Would be strange to get it for free, even if not with the last little feature to use it full.
That is why I think it is strange to make no further limits to VDJ in the free version.

Inviato Mon 05 Oct 20 @ 11:51 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Heltino wrote :
To your car comparison:
Let´s take a Porsche.
a) you can have it 100% for free, just the gate key of the garage is charged 100k Dollar

Even if you can go to the dealer and sit in the car every day, I think people will still like to pay 'just' to be able to drive it on the road :p

Inviato Mon 05 Oct 20 @ 12:07 pm
Adion wrote :
Heltino wrote :
To your car comparison:
Let´s take a Porsche.

Even if you can go to the dealer and sit in the car every day, I think people will still like to pay 'just' to be able to drive it on the road :p

The point is that the car will be delivered at my home in this comparison ;)

What I like to say is:
Of course the Porsche is a little useless (maybe not 100%, impress guys, listen to sound, sit in or whatever is possible in a garage) without a key.....but looking the other way around: 100k Dollar for a key! The car is already here! Terrible expensive...

Strange world, but I believe a lot of guys are looking like this to VDJ.

Inviato Mon 05 Oct 20 @ 12:33 pm
Grok32Home userMember since 2019
I use the free version as I no longer DJ. If I should return to DJing I would certainly purchase the pro version. Were it not for for the free version, I would never have tried VDJ and probably would have went with Serato as it seems to come with a lite version for most entry level controllers. A limited time trial would not have sold me on VDJ either as I was initially very dissatisfied with VDJ's sound quality. It was not until I learned how to install the 10 band EQ and make my my own skins that I came to love this software. (that took months of tinkering).

Inviato Mon 05 Oct 20 @ 3:06 pm
RanikiPRO InfinityMember since 2018
Hi Heltino,

Presumably it is a marketing decision.

a) Show potential customers every fabulous bell and whistle on the product but with some major limitations on functionality for free. And even let them have a full time limited test drive. And then charge a premium price for full access to everything..... for ever.....

b) Charge less for a fully functioning entry level package.... then charge for any additional features [ i) access to full functionality with laptop only; ii) Full pitch and tempo control; iii) Video; iv) Extra Fxs; v) Announce "Big updates and huge new feature drop including - allowing Laptop speakers as master output"...]..... and also charge full wack everytime there is a version update.....

Which of these two products any one will want to buy is of course down to personal preference and the success of the marketing strategy....

It looks to me like both marketing strategies work as both companies are still with us and seem to be doing well.... :-D

Inviato Thu 08 Oct 20 @ 9:05 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)