Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Hashtag Question
Are the hashtags saved to the ID3 tag? Or is it only visible inside of VDJ? Curious as to whether or not I will have to duplicate this effort in another field for use in other softwares, when necessary.

Inviato Fri 07 May 21 @ 2:22 am
No I don't think so
The ones in the comment field can, if you go into the tag editor afterwards, and click "write tag"

Inviato Fri 07 May 21 @ 6:17 am
That’s what I thought. I’m aiming for efficiency because I am having to go through my entire library doing this, and am hoping to write it to a tag field, as opposed to only seeing it inside of vdj. But the comment field doesn’t have a hashtag drop down either... Thanks for the reply. Let me figure out how to streamline this process.

Inviato Fri 07 May 21 @ 11:56 am
Does the user defined field get written to the track's ID3 tag?

Inviato Sat 08 May 21 @ 4:16 pm
DJ A S#arp wrote :
Does the user defined field get written to the track's ID3 tag?

To the VDJ database

Inviato Sat 08 May 21 @ 4:35 pm
Thanks. I'm working through a solution now that will fit what envision.

Inviato Sat 08 May 21 @ 5:34 pm
Hi. I noticed that VirtualDJ has some issues related to this. It has a quick (and dangerous) way to collect tags from files (click on folder, then batch, then reload tag command). Dangerous because you overwrite all your work already done within the platform, so do this only the first time with new files. As for doing the reverse (writing your DB's tags to the files) there are big problems. You can enable the "Set Tags Auto" option (or do this manually via the write tag button when this option is disabled), but this only guarantees that your work will be saved in the MP3 file when runs inside the TAG editor window. If your work is done by the INFO panel, forget it. That is, the work is all partial inside the MP3 files, sometimes with written information inside them, sometimes not, a mess. It simply doesn't have any command that do sync everything of your DB inside the MP3 files.

He should have a command like that. Also, the command to load the files tags should have an option for not to overwrite your work already done inside Virtual DJ.

Inviato Mon 03 Jan 22 @ 1:16 pm
That's NOT how exactly VirtualDJ works.
Anyway, VirtualDJ will read the tags and update the DB info only
1) The first time it encounters a new tracks and
2) When you batch reload tags
Also VirtualDJ will write data back to the tags only if
1) You press the "Write Tags" button inside the Tag Editor
2) You have the "setTagsAuto" option enabled and you edit/modify/update ANY of the tracks related info.

Finally, if "setTagsAuto" is disabled, all edits/mods/updates you perform on your tracks data (regardless from where you perform them) are done only inside the VirtualDJ database.

Knowing how VirtualDJ works can help you to set the settings according to your liking and therefore avoid having confusion over your tags.

PS: If you modify any info from the INFO panel and the setting "setTagsAuto" is enabled, then the changes get also transferred to the tags. They won't get transferred if the setting is disabled, but that also applies for the Tag Editor window as well if you only press the "Ok" button and you don't press the "Write to Tags" button as well.

Inviato Mon 03 Jan 22 @ 7:06 pm
It is true. I just checked that my star ratings have been saved to my files. Anyway, I also wish there was a more practical way to save hashtags to files. Virtual DJ should create a custom tag in the file to write User 1 and User 2 information. Or they should create a hashtag dropdown list for the comments field too, I would love that. As it is currently, we cannot have User 1 and User 2 hashtags saved in the files.

Edit: They could increase the number of common hashtags in the comment field, or better yet it would be a drop down list with all the hashtags similar to the User field.

Inviato Wed 05 Jan 22 @ 7:51 pm