Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: VirtualDJ -- Any Output Sound Improvement If Using A DAC (Digital-Analog Converter) ?

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

I am wondering if VirtualDJ's sound-engine 'decodes' the music before the sound-card,
or if there's a benefit using a DAC, to get a 'better' decode of the music ?

I don't know if I framed the question correctly.

Currently, I use a dual-channel dual-output sound-card,
but I'm wondering what if I used a dedicated DAC for the Master,
and the PC's audio-output as the Cue ,
will the DAC give better sound (or does VDJ's sound engine process the music files _before_ the output stream hits the soundcard/DAC ? )

Inviato Mon 12 Jul 21 @ 11:58 am
All sound interfaces have a DAC built inside them.
So, the simple answer is, "the better the DAC, the better the sound" or to be precise, "the better the accuracy of the sound output between what you hear and what you were meant to hear"

However, VirtualDJ is a DJ software. It has a sound engine that it's job is to process the sound (in order to apply pitch, master tempo, effects, bend, scratch, loop e.t.c.) before sending the result of the process on your sound interface.
Your computer always sends the audio in digital format on your sound interface, and then the DAC of your sound interface creates analog sound out of it.
I hope this clears up things a little.

PS:
DAC= Digital to Analog Converter.
ADC= Analog to Digital Converter (basically the other way around, used for recordings :P )

Inviato Mon 12 Jul 21 @ 12:57 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :

However, VirtualDJ is a DJ software. It has a sound engine that it's job is to process the sound (in order to apply pitch, master tempo, effects, bend, scratch, loop e.t.c.) before sending the result of the process on your sound interface.

Thank you for your informative reply, PhantomDeejay.

So, VirtualDJ will 'manipulate' the bits/bytes of the music-file (pitch, tempo, effects, etc.), using its sound engine,
and then this 'manipulated product' is sent to the DAC, for output as Analog sound to our ear-holes ?

That means, whatever DAC is at the end of the signal chain, will influence the quality of that sound.
Change the DAC and 'change' the sound :-)

Inviato Tue 13 Jul 21 @ 12:07 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Technically yes, practically even a $1 DAC chip from 15 years ago was already 'perfect' in terms of what the human ear can hear. (Beside the DAC itself there are still differences in design that mostly affect sensitivity to noise, electrical isolation etc, ... but compared to amplifiers and speakers the DAC is hardly affecting sound quality anymore)

Inviato Tue 13 Jul 21 @ 1:29 pm
xylumePRO InfinityMember since 2015
I have a Hercules DJControl Inpulse 200 and I run the headphone output into a Yamaha MG06 Mixing Console (it gives Gain, High EQ, Low EQ, Levels L/R, Phones Level), and Stereo Level. I then output the phones through a noise-isolator, then into a Samson QH4 Headphone Amplifier (564mW x 4 stereo channels). The MG06 converts unbalanced to balanced with XLR output for big rigs and offers +4dBu.

My DJ Controller was only $97 when on sale and it has a 4 channel 24 bit audio interface built-in, and I'm very happy with the sound quality. I keep the EQ flat and gain to -6, but this routing chain helps me achieve clear audio for DJ Mixing. In the software, I run -1dB for recording loops and edits, for mixing live I'll use -6dB, but for production multi-track mixing, I use -12dB and let my Ozone iZotope mastering plugins set my final level when not in a live environment.

Inviato Tue 13 Jul 21 @ 7:23 pm
and the other side of the coin is the quality of your tracks,
use the better quality for your tracks or videos,

GK

Inviato Tue 13 Jul 21 @ 8:42 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)