Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Type of controller/mixer with VDJ

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Hi
I am not an expert and i need to clear up all my doubts. I use my laptop as the only music source with virtual dj to mix my music. In case I would like to buy a controller, which one shall I go for, USB or analogic one? The experience I would like to have is to load tracks in virtual dj and mix them using either the crossfader or the gainer of each channel on the mixer. Basically whatever I do on the mixer should reflect on Virtual dj. I want a simple mixer, 2 channels + EQ. No console.
Thanks in advance

Inviato Tue 17 Aug 21 @ 1:07 am
If you want the software to reflect what you're ding on your mixer then you need a USB MIDI capable mixer.
Most of the mixers I know that offer MIDI support are not cheap though. Therefore it would be cheaper for you to get a controller instead even if you're not going to use all it's bells and whistles.

Inviato Tue 17 Aug 21 @ 6:38 am
Thank you. Even if 100% does not reflect it is OK too. It is important that I can do what I described in my message. What's the practical difference between a USB mixer and an analogic one? I found cheap quality mixers in the market like numark M2 and M101USB. What's the difference between those when the music source is a laptop on which virtual dj is running?

Inviato Tue 17 Aug 21 @ 9:04 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
M2 is a 'old fashioned' analogue mixer, there is no communication between the pc & the mixer. To even use this device with vdj you would also need an Audio Interface [or a multichannel soundcard, ... or be creative with audio config, make your basic stereo out from your laptop into a mono source from each deck]

m101usb is a bit of a Frankenstein device, it is pretty much an analogue mixer but it can accept a single digital stereo input from a computer. Being a single source it isn't all that useful for working with vdj.

If as you say, you only use your pc as your music source then you don't want either of these devices.

First suggestion that comes to mind is
Reloop Mixtour DJ Controller
simple layout, full communication with vdj [plug & play], decent build quality, close to your price range.

Inviato Tue 17 Aug 21 @ 9:57 am
Thank you.
I had a look at the product that you suggested and I do not need the majority of functions there as I do everything on vdj. My choice to go on M products is because there is exactly what I need such as cross fader, EQ and track pre-listen. It is quite strange that I cannot do what I described with numark as they claim that their products can work with vdj. My understanding is that if I plug my laptop with M2 as an example (by using a 3.5 mm jack with 2 RCA) , my music will go into one channel of the mixer only hence I cannot do any mixing unless I do it on vdj itself. I am sure though there must be a work around to split the signal coming from the laptop in two so I can have a sound track per each mixer channel. Any suggestions?

Inviato Tue 17 Aug 21 @ 11:07 am
yeah sure you want to be creative with audio config.
You'll lose stereo but nothing you can do about that.

you want to set mono_mix on inside vdj [it's a script]
[@ devs shouldn't this be a setting?]

Then you want to assign 1 channel to deck 1, another to deck 2 in audio config
you will need a analogue [or pro] licence for vdj to do this.

Then you want [optional but recommended] 2 wires like this, to feed both channels for each "deck" of the mixer

Inviato Tue 17 Aug 21 @ 11:43 am
As others said above:
You either need a mixer that offers a MULTI channel USB audio bus (4 or more audio channels via USB connection) or an analog mixer AND a MULTI channel USB audio interface (still you'll need 4 or more channels on that interface)

Any other "solution" is not really practical. Audio quality will be degraded, and most likely latency and/or phasing issues can occur.

Finally:
Yes you can go really cheap with some splitter cables and stuff.
But in 2021 that stuff belongs only to your bedroom, not even on your living room.
A splitter cable will provide "half range" mono sound to each mixer channel.
This means that you'll have to raise your gains really high, you'll introduce more hiss noise on the master audio signal, and most likely you'll still won't have enough volume on your headphones.
So please avoid doing that..

Inviato Tue 17 Aug 21 @ 11:43 am
Thank you Locodog - that's what I thought. Do you mean that I need to write a script in the audio config? Does the basic vdj allow me to do that or I need a licence anyway? I guess I need a 3.5 mm jack extension to plug into the cable that you put above.

Thank you for the advice Phantom. Why 4 usb channels? USB mixer is a digital device which has sound card in it therefore it should be the one closer to my needs I guess. There must be a nice mixer with EQ, cross fader and track pre-listen only (the same features that M2 offers) in the market that makes me reproduce the scenario I want.

Inviato Tue 17 Aug 21 @ 12:28 pm
no need for the script [as per adion's post]
but you will need an analogue or pro licence to have such a audio config.

I had a rethink, the M101USB could be suitable if you route 1 deck thru the usb input and the other deck via your inbuilt soundcard. However it's not ideal, there can be sync issues when using 2 soundcards like this, and there may be a noticeable sound quality difference between the 2 soundcards.

And you'll still need an analogue or pro licence to have the right sound setup.

Inviato Tue 17 Aug 21 @ 12:55 pm
user24022989 wrote :
Basically whatever I do on the mixer should reflect on Virtual dj. I want a simple mixer, 2 channels + EQ.

If you want the physical controls to manipulate virtual dj you definitely want a usb controller like everyone else said. The Reloop Mixtour is going to give you the EQ controls you want. Anything with less features would be something like a Hercules Starlight, but you will miss having those extra knobs.

Inviato Tue 17 Aug 21 @ 1:24 pm
Thank you Locodog - I am sure my post will be useful to many not expert like me to navigate into this world. Is there any main difference between M101USB e M6USB? Could the latter be closer to my needs?

Inviato Tue 17 Aug 21 @ 2:01 pm
same thing really, only a single stereo input via usb, so same issues as described before.

Inviato Tue 17 Aug 21 @ 2:28 pm
:) you must understood that I like numark. I just checked once again the portfolio and I did spot C3 USB with 2 USB ports as input/output. May any mixer with 2 USB ports be ideal for me?
Sorry to be a pain :)

Inviato Tue 17 Aug 21 @ 3:14 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)