Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: VirtualDJ 2023 for IPAD(ios)? - Page: 1
JirSimPRO InfinityMember since 2021
PioneerDJ Recordbox is comming to IOS:
https://www.digitaldjtips.com/2022/11/major-rekordbox-update-will-bring-the-dj-app-to-ios-android/

Davinci Resolve (Profesional Video Editor) is comming to IPAD(ios):
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/de/media/release/20221020-02

Affinity Suite - the best alternative to adobe products run on IPAD too:
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/ipad/
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/designer/ipad/
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/publisher/

DJ apps for ios exist already:
https://www.algoriddim.com/djay-ios
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/traktor/dj-software/traktor-dj-2/

I think, now is the best time to make IPAD(ios) version of VirtualDJ.
What do you think about it? Do you have it in Plan?

Inviato Wed 07 Dec 22 @ 8:20 pm
It is not the first discussion here about this topic. In another discussion here I have found following text, why it is not possible:

No Multitasking
No replaceable battery
No camera
No HD resolution

But today is the situation different:

MULTITASKING
No replaceable battery - I dont need it ...
No camera - I dont need it...
HD RESOLUTION

Inviato Wed 07 Dec 22 @ 8:23 pm
no, no, and again for the love of whatever you believe in NO!
the last thing the dev's need is yet another operating system to have to deal with, let alone the headaches involved with trying to support three separate operating systems.

Inviato Wed 07 Dec 22 @ 11:52 pm
Yes, yes and yes :)))))) Why not?

Who wants - look for the possibilities
Who does not want - say no, no, no ...

Another companies with "bigger" software than virtualdj did it without problems. The CPUs M1 and M2 are strong enough. I think , this is the path to find new customers ...

I am able to pay 300$ for FULL version of VirtualDJ on IPAD, because of:
Mac does have touchscreen
Win does not have "stability"

IPAD Pro,+Air M1 , IPAD Pro M2 have both (+enough performance)

Inviato Thu 08 Dec 22 @ 11:58 am
I'm torn, as I can see it being the future.
But it is lots more development work for small additional revenue but would provide an update path to the full product.

I wonder how many DJs start on iPads and move to full controllers and products?

As the Android app needs more love from the reviews I read, it does show their focus is rightly on the core product and it's stability. Stems V2 shows the benefit of this focus.

I hope the mobile apps do get evaluated/ improved again in the future, once work is over and VDJ stems can separate every instrument of course! (J/k)

Inviato Thu 08 Dec 22 @ 3:58 pm
I say yes its needed. As great as VDJ is sometimes I (we, many of us) have small venue gigs where we may be providing background music or just need to provide music without all of the bells & whistles that require bringing a laptop & controller. I use my ipad for these smaller gigs and for me it works very well. Ive used both Traktor & Djay for the ipad and for me, the Traktor skin (UI) is better than Djay, but Djay has better features (dvs, stems). If Vdj could release an app giving us features, a good looking skin, and the ability to sync to our laptops, it would be amazing

Inviato Thu 08 Dec 22 @ 6:19 pm
There are small laptops like the GPD pocket (which I used this afternoon) so you get the full fat VDJ experience at a fraction of the size.

Inviato Thu 08 Dec 22 @ 6:41 pm
Ipad is ipad. Did you tried already one?

Inviato Thu 08 Dec 22 @ 8:10 pm
I've had various ipads over the years, but they're a tablet with a less functional OS so not of any interest really. And apart from the base models (which have gone up in price significantly in 2022) they are not value for money considering what they are. The storage is a total rip-off and can't be upgraded by the owner unlike a lot of laptops.

The Pocket 3 above comes with a 1tb Samsung SSD and is considerably cheaper than any ipad equivalent.

Inviato Thu 08 Dec 22 @ 8:15 pm
Krad the ipad becomes another tool in the arsenal. My 256 gig M1 ipad was probably about the same price as your mini pc.

Inviato Thu 08 Dec 22 @ 8:41 pm
What CPU do you have in your Pocket3?

Inviato Thu 08 Dec 22 @ 9:17 pm
Intel i71195G7

Inviato Thu 08 Dec 22 @ 10:10 pm
One of the issues is the closed echo system of ios, and of course greedy apple

So you want an ios version?

Your happy to pay 30% more for the same program that runs flawlessly on a surface pro?

And of course any any music subscriptions (as you can manage them directly in VDJ), apple would thier cut of that money too as its an in app purchase

New version deployment

I work for a software company and we have an app, which we support in both android and ios versions, like VDJ we are always making updates, the difference in the platforms means that our live version (and even the public beta) lags way behind on ios, due to the time it takes for the apple to approve the next version, and to be honest if we want to deploy an android version we can sidested the play store and side load it directly

And what would you actually gain?

You would probably lose stems due to GPU performance?

where are you going to plug your controller and your charger (at the same time) is this going to need an adapter?

What about song storage, do they do a 1TB ipad?

What about ugging in a USB stick?

And which controller manufacturers support drivers for ios?

How do connect your second monitor or karaoke display?

What about all the third party skins and plugins, these will probably have to be re written?

I would take the money you would save in apples cut and by a nice surface pro,

Inviato Fri 09 Dec 22 @ 7:47 am
Sureview, Have you tried djay or traktor for iPad. Both work impressively well. One is free one is a subscription I have a surface pro It's larger and heavier than an iPad And yes you can access usb on an iPad . Yes there is 1 tb storage with a surface pro you need a usb hub With iPad my controller plugs into my iPad and the charger for the controller will charge the iPad And if the iPad has a full charge it'll run for at least 5 hours with my controller ( maybe longer) without being plugged in

Djay supports most controllers and it's mappable Traktor only works with native instrument controller No one really uses skins anymore ( my opinion ) I believe with the new iOS update you can use a second monitor

Inviato Fri 09 Dec 22 @ 6:24 pm
I had
- MS Surface tablet
- HP Elite X2 tablet
- DELL All in One Laptop
- IPAD M1
(All touchscreen devices)

For profi work in the office is Laptop(or Windows tablet) better, but on the Journey IPAD wins.

I find the touch performance, size, stability, ... by IPAD the best.
I am not apple fan. The company Apple are assholes (It is another story). But VDJ+Ipad I find like a good combination.

STEMS PERFORMACE
------------------------------------
"IPADs" M1 and M2 CPUs are in MAC laptops too

SECOND MONITOR
------------------------------
I did not try it, but the second monitor can work:
https://appletoolbox.com/how-to-use-your-ipad-with-an-external-monitor/

CONTROLLERS
-------------------------
It is no problem by DJAY ... Why should it be problem by VDJ?

STORAGE
----------------
No Problem ...

SKINS
----------
No Problem ... (you have to change the resolution only ...)

Inviato Sat 10 Dec 22 @ 11:45 am
Nice to get feedback on my post but no one had addressed the elephant in the apple room

The extra cost involved by going through the apple store!

And as for the second monitor, yes you can probably get it to work, with an adapter, to a hdmi or USB c monitor, but I would rather have an out of the box solution that just works

I don't really see the benefits of running it on an ipad or even a touch based windows tablet, the tactile feedback, precision etc of real buttons will always bee far superior to a touchscreen in my option....

Inviato Tue 13 Dec 22 @ 6:26 am
I can give you my thoughts on "the elephant": in the room

The Apple Store sells thousands of apps , people are spending the money, lots of it, or the App Store wouldn't exist. I'll mention this again, Traktor for iPad is free, Do I think VDJ should be free, No , there are cost involved to make & maintain the app , we as dj's make money using the app, charge a fair price and everybody wins.

The iPad has something called airplay, you can wirelessly stream. Djay works with video and it can be sent wirelessly.

As I said in earlier post, VDJ on IPad is another tool in the arsenal. For me, I'm not looking to replace my laptop, but for a small show or even to carry as a backup, the iPad size perfect.

Denon & Pioneer have had all in one controllers with touchscreens the size of an iPad for a few years now. It's a growing market, otherwise they wouldn't keep releasing newer versions of the all in one.

Inviato Tue 13 Dec 22 @ 9:24 am
I mention the costs as there are often posts on here about how expensive VDJ is, does not bother me, i am a pro infinity user and I think vdj is a bargain, but I would be concerned that all subscriptions, this could be the app, and any music, video and karaoke subscriptions would be subject to apples charges

Would you seriously use air play for video out?, its streamed and they would be time lag, there is no way I woukd consider this

I really feal there is a lack of professionalism in this industry these days...

I think it all started with active speakers......

...... And go. Lol

Inviato Thu 15 Dec 22 @ 6:33 am
I have the Bose F1 (active) system and it's a hundred times better than my previous Peavey rig. Far more compact, less weight and far less to go wrong. No separate heavy amp racks and it sounds just as good if not better.

There are good active solutions out there but many cheap ones too. Social club I was working at the other week had a DJ in the other room with a Pioneer controller on a table, a cheap Maplins type laser and Turbosound speakers that sounded awful.

Its all about perspective.

Inviato Thu 15 Dec 22 @ 8:15 am
sureview wrote :
I mention the costs as there are often posts on here about how expensive VDJ is, does not bother me, i am a pro infinity user and I think vdj is a bargain, but I would be concerned that all subscriptions, this could be the app, and any music, video and karaoke subscriptions would be subject to apples charges

Would you seriously use air play for video out?, its streamed and they would be time lag, there is no way I woukd consider this

I really feal there is a lack of professionalism in this industry these days...

I think it all started with active speakers......

...... And go. Lol

Ive used airplay from my mac a couple of times, sent to my apple tv and then into the clubs video system matrix. It worked ok ,there was a lip sync delay but barely noticeable It did cause my mac to run really warm. I have not used my ipad for video over airplay in a club. And to be honest, I dont think id want to use the ipad for video. For me its more about a small, reliable, easy to use music source for small venues and to carry as a backup.

Inviato Thu 15 Dec 22 @ 7:54 pm
53%