Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Moving the VDJ Directory
So in OSX, VDJ writes all the files int the/~user/Documents folder... but is there a way to specify a different location?

Obviously I can manually move the VDJ Folder, but the next time I open the app, it'll look for the files in the same place, and if not there, create new ones.....

Inviato Fri 07 Apr 23 @ 5:10 pm
There is on Windows but not on Mac

Inviato Fri 07 Apr 23 @ 6:22 pm
You can technically move the VirtualDJ folder in Application Support to anywhere you want and make a symlink of it or the majority of its contents (which you do if if settings need to be different) back to Application Support, but you have to make sure that the new location is accessible to your user before starting VirtualDJ (esprcially if you moved it to an external drive). I actually did this when I wanted to share the database + settings with another computer (there was a database export/import bug that didn't restore virtual folder hierarchies correctly).
I don't know if VirtualDJ devs recommend this at all though.

Inviato Sat 08 Apr 23 @ 1:10 pm
It's probably best to rely on their backup functionality, which they document, and keep the settings file saved for reference in new installs.

Inviato Sat 08 Apr 23 @ 6:59 pm
Curious.
so when you mention the Application Support folder, I guessing you mean the /~users/Me/Library folder. Just checked and what is in the VDJ folder pretty much mimics what is in the /~users/Me/Documents/Virtual DJ folder... but the files in the App Support are more "current"... meaning more recently modified than the ones in the Docs folder.. Don't even know what that means, but it would SEEM that on my desktop, which is the computer I'm writing this on, VDJ is putting ALL the files it needs in the app support folder...

On my laptop, most of the files are in the usual Doc folder, but there are some cache files(I assume from some libraries I subscribe to) in the user Application Support folder.

Again... no ideas what this means.... but find it curious that files are stored in different locations.

And while I'm firmly in the VDJ camp now, Traktor, which was the first platform I used, made it pretty easy to put all the files on an external drive and move to computer to computer. You'd have to change a few settings on the computer you were going to use, but they were easily changed back, at least as far as I recall....

Inviato Mon 10 Apr 23 @ 5:55 pm
Since the release of VirtualDJ 2023, all new installations now use the "Application Support" folder instead of the "Documents" folder.
That was done in order to comply with the new guidelines of Apple to where applications should store their data.

It is possible under some weird combinations of user actions to end up with having data in both folders.
However, if the data inside "Application Support" folder are newer, then only "Application Support" folder is used. Not both.
The only exception is if you have set VirtualDJ to automatically create database backups inside the Documents/VirtualDJ folder. In this case, the backups will get saved inside Documents/VirtualDJ, but everything else is stored / used from "Application Support/VirtualDJ"

Inviato Mon 10 Apr 23 @ 9:03 pm
Hey Phantom

That is really good info to have. I'm sure I started with a version of VDJ in 2022 on my laptop, so everything is/was in the Documents folder. I just recently upgraded to a new laptop and used the Migration Assistant to move everything, so it's all still in the new Documents folder, which is perfectly fine. Funny thing is I created a new user on my laptop and all of the VDJ files are in the App Support folder for that user. Guessing a VDJ update sooner or later will put everything where it belongs. Doesn't matter, the program runs perfectly on the M-series chips and the support is GREAT!!

Inviato Mon 10 Apr 23 @ 9:57 pm