Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Those with large libraries, what software do you use for media management?
Just curious what others are using.

I have around 5 million tracks over 30 TB. My library increases by 300-500 GB each month as I get promotional music from the labels.

Up until now I've used MediaMonkey on my storage server but it takes several hours to load the full library and become searchable. Ideally I'd like to cut this time down or eliminate it altogether with some kind of an indexed database.

What software do you use to manage a large media library?

Inb4 someone mentions iTunes. 🫠

Inviato Fri 14 Jul 23 @ 8:17 pm
VirtualDJ has the best library management in the business, why would you need something else?

I have a library of 48,7500 which includes over 36,000 mp3s and over 12,000 music videos. Searching is virtually instantaneous. Moving files around is simple and quick.

If you haven't got it yet get the My Library pluggin from Settings/Extensions/Other/Database Filters/My Library from within VirtualDJ.

Inviato Fri 14 Jul 23 @ 9:54 pm
Virtual DJ's environment is great, but I'm looking for something that will run in a server environment so I can have it on my storage machine and that I can access remotely.

I admit you've piqued my curiosity and I may have to give it a try. Curious if VDJ will even run in a headless machine with no GPU.

Inviato Fri 14 Jul 23 @ 11:47 pm
MediaMonkey

Inviato Fri 14 Jul 23 @ 11:52 pm
I tried to install My Library on my main VDJ machine to try it out and it's not available on Mac. 😭

Will try it on my storage server later.

Inviato Fri 14 Jul 23 @ 11:53 pm
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
MediaMonkey

MediaMonkey has all the features I need, but it takes ~12 hours between when the program opens and when I'm able to search and get full results. After going back-and-forth with their support, they have determined that this is due to the sheer size of my library.

Inviato Fri 14 Jul 23 @ 11:54 pm
christianwheel wrote :
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
MediaMonkey

MediaMonkey has all the features I need, but it takes ~12 hours between when the program opens and when I'm able to search and get full results. After going back-and-forth with their support, they have determined that this is due to the sheer size of my library.

You will run into that with most software with a library that size. Especially if you have it set to scan library folders with every start up.

Inviato Fri 14 Jul 23 @ 11:57 pm

Inviato Sat 15 Jul 23 @ 1:30 am
you might try something like plex most people use it for video but it also does music

also there is jellyfin similar to plex ...... https://jellyfin.org/

Inviato Sat 15 Jul 23 @ 2:05 am
FOOBAR2000 might be worth a try. But I feel it will take a minute to scan millions of tracks every time its started.

Inviato Sat 15 Jul 23 @ 5:28 am
djles.co.uk wrote :
christianwheel wrote :
I tried to install My Library on my main VDJ machine to try it out and it's not available on Mac. 😭

Eh??? You must be doing something wrong, of course it's available on both Mac & PC. I have 3 Macs and it runs on all of them.

https://virtualdj.com/forums/191770/addons/My_Library.html?page=1

I was, in fact, doing something wrong. Found it, thank you! Going to give it a go.

Inviato Sat 15 Jul 23 @ 5:37 am
You may find that there are one or two minor mistakes that are easily rectified in the blue Filter folders.

Right-click to see the menu and use the edit to see the logic.

Very soon you will be making your own additional Filter Folders to it as I and many others have.

The whole of My Library works on your Tags for each file so obviously you need a good Tagging regime.

Here are some of mine;

Inviato Sat 15 Jul 23 @ 6:46 am
So I'm finally testing this out. I installed VDJ on my NAS machine and it took 12 days to scan my whole library. Unfortunately when I search for something, VDJ chugs along and doesn't return any search results for about 20 minutes. The library is too big and the computer is not powerful enough. It does eventually find everything, but it's not a great experience. The XML library format is very powerful but it's not as efficient as some of the specialized database formats (mediamonkey uses sqlite I believe?) so search is a bit more taxing on the machine.

Inviato Wed 26 Jul 23 @ 8:19 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
What's the size of the database and number of tracks?
Xml shouldn't matter much, since it is read to memory on startup

Inviato Wed 26 Jul 23 @ 8:46 am
Between audio and video about 5.5 million tracks. Database.xml is 4.6 GB.

Just checked and VDJ is using 9 GB of RAM. Between that and the other services on the machine, it is forcing the system to use the swap file. I fear this will be true of any music management software I try and this hardware just isn't capable of handling a media index that big. Unfortunately I'm stuck with it because it's what works in my legacy 45-bay NAS.

Inviato Thu 27 Jul 23 @ 1:54 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
If it's swapping that would indeed explain it. Any chance to add more memory?

Inviato Thu 27 Jul 23 @ 3:58 pm
No media manager will scan that large library quickly even a threadripper cpu with 128gb ram will take days.

Inviato Thu 27 Jul 23 @ 11:16 pm