Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Is my external hard drive too old for VirtualDJ 2023 or Stems 2.0?
I have been using a WD My Book Essential 1 TB USB 2.0 external hard drive since 2010 for my music.
I haven't noticed any issues, except sometimes it takes some songs longer to load.

I have a Lenovo Legion Pro 5i with these specs: 13th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-13700HX Processor, Windows 11 Home, NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4060 GPU 8GB GDDR6, Memory : 16 GB RAM.

Do I need to upgrade the hard drive?

Inviato Mon 31 Jul 23 @ 3:51 pm
I would never trust mechanical hard drives and they're really out of date now. You can get a 1tb Samsung T7 for hardly anything and it uses USB3 so will be far superior.

As far as stems you're talking about precomputing, because the RTX should be able to process them in real time so the external drive won't be required?

Inviato Mon 31 Jul 23 @ 3:59 pm
I wouldn't worry about it, I have a WD Passport Ultra 2tb that will be 11 years old in September and still works fine and is NOT slow. I also have a WD Passport 2tb that is 7 years old, I use it as a clone backup for the other drive. The 11 year old is my main music drive containing 49k mp3s and mp4s. They used to be NTFS until last year when I formatted both drives to ExFat so that they could read/write on both Macs and PCs. I have currently used 1.5tb of 2tb, so, still plenty of room. I've looked at SSD drives, but, I'm not ready for one yet.

Incidently, it has been used on a Dell Vostro, 2010 MBP boot camped with Windows 7, 2018 MBP boot camped with Windows 10 and currently on an M1 Silicon MBP. 😊 Maybe I'll donate it to the Technology Museum on day.🤣🤣🤣

Inviato Mon 31 Jul 23 @ 7:38 pm
OK I will stick with what I got for now. Thanks.

Inviato Mon 31 Jul 23 @ 8:03 pm