Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: SkinMaster VU Meter/Limiter Expectation with Controller
I've noticed that the master VU meter on the skin doesn't display when my DJM S11 is plugged in (M1 MacBook Pro running MacOS v2023 b7831 and early access b7847).
It works when using the computer audio as the output. Is this normal/expected (the manual doesn't really explain much here)?

I normally check there to see if the Limiter is being engaged or not.

Inviato Fri 02 Feb 24 @ 1:14 am
if your running as external mixer no point displaying a master output that wouldn't even do anything

if your running as a software mixer then maybe is a issue i would say

Inviato Fri 02 Feb 24 @ 1:21 am
It does make sense (the DJM S11 is an external mixer setup I think), especially as the VU's are front and center on the hardware, but then it does make the skin VU mostly useless for a external mixer connected setup (and the deck VUs still display correctly on the skin). Does the limiter indicator display though? I would be more interested in that.

Inviato Fri 02 Feb 24 @ 1:34 am
The limiter can "work" (and it will be shown on skin) in this case as well.
But it's somewhat harder to hit it.
When you're using external mixer audio setup, the limiter protects each output individually.

Usually since mixers have their own gain stage, it is "fake" on VirtualDJ and adding gain won't result in VirtualDJ adding extra gain and hiting the limiter. Same applies for EQ.
With external mixer audio setup you can hit the "deck" limiter:
1) If you're playing without any headroom and the specific track dynamics have forced autogain to be somewhat high (limiter will engage on some peaks here and there)
2) If you overload a deck effect like echo (for instance setting feedback to 90% and letting it run for some time

In those cases limiter will engage and it will be shown on skin, even with external mixer audio setup.

Inviato Fri 02 Feb 24 @ 7:58 am
Thank you @PhantomDeejay for that explanation and I'll keep that in mind. It might be good info to add to/clarify in the Master VU Meter and Limiter section of the User Manual or is this described somewhere else already?

Inviato Fri 02 Feb 24 @ 1:12 pm