Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Distortion (not due to performance problems but for music that is very loudly mixed)
SepatroPRO InfinityMember since 2019
Hello,

I have the impression that VDJ sounds more distorted than other sound programs whenever I am using music that has been very loudly mixed. For instance, Kanye West's "All of the Lights" is mixed very loud (those damn loudness wars...) which is clearly visible from the saturated waveform.

I do know that somehow this music is meant to sound a bit distorted, but it sounds way worse in VDJ.

Would it help to turn off autogain or so?

I am using sound card/controller Roland DJ-808, with their latest ASIO drives.

Any help appreciated!

Inviato Sun 04 Feb 24 @ 4:42 pm
IMO that song is poorly mastered and sounds terrible on any system

that being said with a hardware mixer be careful of clipping outside the software by pushing lines or master too far. Oh and turning off autogain will not help would probably make it worse.

Inviato Sun 04 Feb 24 @ 6:32 pm
wickedmix wrote :
IMO that song is poorly mastered and sounds terrible on any system

that being said with a hardware mixer be careful of clipping outside the software by pushing lines or master too far. Oh and turning off autogain will not help would probably make it worse.

Thanks! You are probably right... the song sounds like it was not mastered at all and mixed on a cheap tablet...

Inviato Sun 04 Feb 24 @ 6:42 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
You can also check what auto gain is doing by looking at the tooltip of the gain slider.
In the case of this specific song though, at least the version from Tidal actually lowers the volume by about 2dB, so the song should just play identical to the source. (and that should sound the same in other software as well)

In the case auto-gain would boost the volume, there's a small chance that the loudest parts of the song might hit the limiter. If that would be the case you could use the zeroDb option to add more headroom to ensure this wouldn't happen.

Inviato Sun 04 Feb 24 @ 6:52 pm
Same issue with Say It Right by Nelly Furtado. The distortion in the production process is impossible to get rid of.

Inviato Sun 04 Feb 24 @ 7:06 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
Same issue with Say It Right by Nelly Furtado. The distortion in the production process is impossible to get rid of.

Thanks all!

Inviato Sun 04 Feb 24 @ 7:52 pm