Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: swap_decks including swapping volume fader position?
Hey community!

I have added a command "swap_decks 3 1" to a button so I can quickly swap decks 1 and 3.

The problem is, if the volume fader of deck 1 and 3 are at different positions, I get sudden in/decrease in volume.

Is it possible to add a command so that swapping decks also swaps the actual volume fader positions? It should be easy, but I am struggling finding the solution.

Thanks!

Inviato Fri 09 Feb 24 @ 1:47 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
you need to get to grips with param_cast to send a value to from one thing to another

save one of the dial values to a variable, cast the other dial to the dial you did save, then cast the saved value to the dial that hasn't been changed.

swap_decks 2 4 & deck 2 select & set $tempVal `deck 2 level` & deck 4 level & param_cast & deck 2 level & get_var $tempVal & param_cast & deck 4 level

Inviato Fri 09 Feb 24 @ 2:23 pm
While you can script a volume change of the decks while swapping, personally I think it's a bad idea.
It will only create more issues for you and make you more prone to bad habits (if it's actually possible to script it in the first place*)

1) As soon as you change the volume of the decks via script, your controller volume faders will become unlinked. This means that you'll have to use "soft takeover". You'll need to move the volume sliders of your controller to the position that the software volume sliders are, before you are able to control the volumes again.
Even if you're willing to adjust your workflow to accommodate this, it's not ideal because of the next reason:

2) What happens if tomorrow you play with a controller that features an external audio mixer setup, or even an actual external mixer ?
In this scenario the volume swapping script won't work as it's the actual hardware that controls the volumes, and not the software.
Therefore, if you develop the muscle memory and mentality of having the software "adjust" the volumes for you, you will be completely lost in this scenario.

My advice to you is to treat the problem at it's root cause, and not at it's symptoms.
In other words, to learn to make sure that the mixer channels are set "equal" before doing the swap.
If you learn this instead of having the software altering the volumes, then you'll be able to swap decks no matter the gear you use.

Just my personal take on the matter..

PS: Reason 2 is why I said on the asterisk sentence above "if it's possible at the first place"
If for instance you're using DDJ-1000SRT, or Rane Four, that feature "hardware mixer" audio setup, it will be impossible to script the swap volume change via software.

Inviato Fri 09 Feb 24 @ 2:55 pm
Thank you Locodog and PhantomDJ for your thoughts and grips. This is helpful.
I will try this and see how this feels.

Inviato Fri 09 Feb 24 @ 5:39 pm