Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: How best to adjust phrase?
For songs that change the phrase at some point, what is the best way to adjust that in VDJ? Here is an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJTmumMot1U
(around 0:29)

I know that you can insert a new BeatGrid anchor, but that requires you to manually drag/set it to the correct position. And I think that this means that VDJ think that the BPM might be different (it treats it as a multi BPM song). What I want is to use the same beatgrid and analysis that figured out what BPM we are at and where the downbeats are, I just want to change where VDJ considers the phrase is. Is this possible? Maybe I need to add an action in POI editor that uses adjust_cbg?

Inviato Mon 01 Apr 24 @ 1:03 pm
I've just been looking at this trying to figure out what's going on!

At first glance it seems as if the timing is out, because if the first acapella word is on the 'one' then the first beat is not on the 'one' - but (having looked at the sheet music to figure out the timing) the track tempo is 150, and when you set the beatgrid to 150 it all falls into place.

Inviato Mon 01 Apr 24 @ 1:59 pm
groovindj wrote :
I've just been looking at this trying to figure out what's going on!

At first glance it seems as if the timing is out, because if the first acapella word is on the 'one' then the first beat is not on the 'one' - but (having looked at the sheet music to figure out the timing) the track tempo is 150, and when you set the beatgrid to 150 it all falls into place.

The phrase definitely changes. It happens again at 1:34 (and maybe later, I didn't listen to the whole song). Think of it as an extra bar that is inserted in the middle of nowhere. I don't think changing the BPM will help with that...

Inviato Tue 02 Apr 24 @ 11:22 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
user28537963 wrote :
...think that this means that VDJ think that the BPM might be different (it treats it as a multi BPM song)...

It doesn't

I have a couple of apps for this problem, one app places a named coloured marker [I use white cues to mark a phrase break] and the other app places a beat anchor

used together with a bit of script, I do this.

Inviato Wed 03 Apr 24 @ 11:16 am
Quote :
The phrase definitely changes

I thought so too - initially. Then I checked the sheet music. There's no extra bar.

Set the tempo to 150, align the grid so the one is on the first vocal, and voila it all lines up.

Inviato Wed 03 Apr 24 @ 11:20 am
locodog wrote :

I thought that multi BPM is implemented exactly by placing different beat anchors to separate the songs. As for the video, thanks, this is great, you've given me some ideas, but I don't see the phrase counter being reset to 1 when the new section comes...

Inviato Wed 03 Apr 24 @ 8:22 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
My counter to goes to 64, so 33 or 1 and I'm back on course.

Inviato Wed 03 Apr 24 @ 8:53 pm