Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Licensing & purchasing needs clarfication for customizable software & hardware.
2ificControlleristMember since 2023
Short version.

I'm working on a guide & skin with Virtual Dj for the tape loop community & I anticipate many complaints & confusion as to what license is required for user defined midi control.

Please clarify what license is required for user defined midi control or customisable devices.As anyone can mock up a controller to replicate keyboard control for free which is unfair.

Staff are welcome to message me.

Expanding.

Dj's are evolving into producers & dj software is part of many studio workflows.Physical hardware & controllers are not flexible to accommodate all the innovative ideas , workflows & skins.

Users are destined to integrate touch screen software or customisable hardware as they grow..

Example.

A qwerty keyboard can be used to operate dj software. But software or customizable hardware can easily be customised to mimic a keyboard but resemble a pad controller.

Many of the touch screen apps are inexpensive & can combine & convert OSC (open sound control) midi & qwerty keyboard macros. They also have essential features like

Bi-drectional midi
A channel fader can be automated to revert back to it's original position.
Midi pickup or takeover.

Pricing licensing & usage for user defined midi or stream deck type tools etc needs clarification as this will influence what software is chosen.

Inviato Sat 20 Jul 24 @ 1:14 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
User-defined controller definitions require a Pro license

Inviato Sat 20 Jul 24 @ 1:32 pm
Re: Midi
I understand why midi is restricted as a user can freely assign their controls. But the restrictions , exclusivity & pricing is very high in comparison to your competitors.

Some context.

I purchased a Hercules motorised controller which came with two brands of software.A virtual dj pro upgrade to access midi (which is over 40 years old ) cost 3 times as much as upgrading a license.

It will be difficult to showcase innovative uses & attract users. When the version with midi costs more than rival dj software.Or entry level Daws. Eg Cubase elements , Reaper , Studio One Artist etc which it can complement.

I hope you can evaluate.

Final question.

Is it ok for a user with plus Controller license to use touch screen software which can simulate a qwerty keyboard as indicated in my previous post?

Ive been using digital media since 2003 with OtsLab OtsTurntables then Mix vibes
I had a Ion I cue , Numark Total control & Virtual Dj Le version in 2007. I encourage everyone to invest in their Artistry & tools but I think there's an imbalance of features & pricing. Eg Stem separation is free but midi is restricted to the top tier.

Inviato Sat 20 Jul 24 @ 5:15 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
No problem using a touch screen.
The only limitation of the free and controller/plus licenses is that they are not for professional use.
So if you earn money using VirtualDJ, you need the Pro license no matter which way you control it.

Inviato Sat 20 Jul 24 @ 5:47 pm
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
2ific wrote :
Re: Midi
I understand why midi is restricted as a user can freely assign their controls. But the restrictions , exclusivity & pricing is very high in comparison to your competitors.

Some context.

I purchased a Hercules motorised controller which came with two brands of software.A virtual dj pro upgrade to access midi (which is over 40 years old ) cost 3 times as much as upgrading a license.

It will be difficult to showcase innovative uses & attract users. When the version with midi costs more than rival dj software.Or entry level Daws. Eg Cubase elements , Reaper , Studio One Artist etc which it can complement.

I hope you can evaluate.

Final question.

Is it ok for a user with plus Controller license to use touch screen software which can simulate a qwerty keyboard as indicated in my previous post?

Ive been using digital media since 2003 with OtsLab OtsTurntables then Mix vibes
I had a Ion I cue , Numark Total control & Virtual Dj Le version in 2007. I encourage everyone to invest in their Artistry & tools but I think there's an imbalance of features & pricing. Eg Stem separation is free but midi is restricted to the top tier.

I disagree. I think it’s amazing that so many features are available at the free tier (for non-professional use). Virtual DJ still offers one and done pricing which is affordable. It’s a performance product first and the fact that it has other uses is a benefit.

Inviato Sat 20 Jul 24 @ 8:45 pm
PhilW wrote :
[quote=2ific]Re: Midi

I disagree. I think it’s amazing that so many features are available at the free tier (for non-professional use). Virtual DJ still offers one and done pricing which is affordable. It’s a performance product first and the fact that it has other uses is a benefit.

sigh.

I have a plus Controller license however I never use the controller or log in. Atomix have my support.
because of a feature you can find in my post history.

I have other options as indicated in my previous post. But I would rather pay more for midi but not at the maximum price. Someone can purchase two complete versions of rival software & still have change left over. Midi is all in & nothing in between.

I was a member here in 2007 & anticipated this. I'm not going to participate any further as everything has been clarified.

Mods are welcome to lock or delete the topic.

Inviato Sat 20 Jul 24 @ 9:59 pm
It's your choice. If the price doesn't seem value for your needs then use something else.

Inviato Sat 20 Jul 24 @ 10:19 pm