Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Stem 2.0 crashes VDJ on Mackbook pro with M1
djebouPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I have a mackbook pro with an M1 but VDJ crashes anytime i use Stem 2.0 . i had for 2 years now and never had problems using stems until lately. i try reset the computer and reinstall VDJ but still having the same problem. Can someone please help. this is driving me crazy

Inviato Tue 20 Aug 24 @ 7:03 am
I have used my M1 MacBook Pro 14" for two years and have no problem using Stems. Could you compare your settings to mine, particularly the Performance stemsRealtimeSeperation "Always" setting

Main System Specs
M1 MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2022), Apple Silicon M1 Pro, 16gb, 500 gb SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.6.1, VirtualDJ v2024-m b8280.
External 2tb Crucial X9 SSD formatted APFS containing 50k Music & Video databases.
Main Controller - Denon MC7000,

Inviato Wed 21 Aug 24 @ 12:26 am
Thank you for the quick response. i have the same exact setting as yours except. except my external storage device
which is a 4tb SanDisk

Inviato Wed 21 Aug 24 @ 5:15 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Try to update your VirtualDJ as well

Inviato Wed 21 Aug 24 @ 5:22 am
Thank you so much. i updated my VDJ and play stems for about 30 mins and no crash
i thought i updated the software when i reinstalled it

Inviato Wed 21 Aug 24 @ 5:55 am
I notice you have your SSD formatted ExFat. Mine was initially the same, however, I started getting lots of corruption i.e. loading a song into a player and when playing, it was a different song. Also it was not particularly quick at loading.

From November 2023;

"Quote"
I have been having a bit of a nightmare with my trusted WD Passport HDs, they were getting corrupted every time I connected them to Sonoma. I then bought a 2tb Crucial X9 SSD external drive which came pre-formatted for ExFat so interchangeable between macOS & Windows. I still had problems with corruption and being unable to 'mount' the SSD. Eventually, I had to 'bite the bullet' and reformatted the SSD to Apple's APFS filing system. The SSD is more responsive and much faster with Apple's native formatting and mounts instantly.

So, it appears that Sonoma works much better with external drives formatted to Apple's native APFS.😊
"Unquote"

Inviato Wed 21 Aug 24 @ 9:00 am
Personal opinion:
ExFAT is the most unstable filesystem ever.
Use NTFS or APFS, and if not possible, then there are tools that let you format large drives to FAT32.
It's still better than ExFAT in my honest opinion

Inviato Wed 21 Aug 24 @ 12:16 pm