Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: DJs who use white label "pre-mixes"

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

I want to get you guys' thoughts on DJs who use those white label "pre-mixed" records, and if you ever use them yourself at your gigs. I personally think it's a rip-off to play someone elses pre-mixed stuff at your gigs but almost every single hot club and dance spot in L.A. have DJs who use these type of records.

I personally like to mix everything myself, LIVE, using only standard versions of the songs, or instrumental / accapellas.

In fact, at one gig (that I was trying to get into) I explained to the manager that their DJ was using records that were all pre-mixed. I explained that I mix everything LIVE. The look on his face was like,.. uhhm, what's the difference? As long as the people a grooving to it,... anyway you get the point.

So what's your thoughts on these white label pre-mixes?

Inviato Sat 06 Aug 05 @ 1:01 am
One exception here,.. Fatman Scoop - Be Faithful (Featuring The Crooklyn Clan). That track is just dope!

Inviato Sat 06 Aug 05 @ 2:02 am
i would never use them, but if ur a club manager, i dunt think i would care less, the people in the club dont care a bit bout the dj'ers skillz, they just care bout the music, and what songs hes playing, and the manager, could care less too, he doesnt care if u do ur own mixes, he cares that his dj's are playin wat the crowds like, and that the crowd is as happy as possible

Inviato Sat 06 Aug 05 @ 2:28 am
Honeslty I think theres nothing wrong with using a pre-mix aka a remix...A club dj's main job is to fill the dance floor and keep it moving...So in that case i wouldnt care how they did it or with what record/cd/mp3 as long as the end result was the dance floor was krackin (hopefully with the ladies)...

One rule of thumb is play what the ladies want to hear/request...As long as the Ladies are there the guys will be there also reguardless of music...my thoughts...

Musically,
WizzKidd

Inviato Sat 06 Aug 05 @ 12:56 pm
I think that it is all relative...What is a remix or pre-mix anyway?
Just about everything is a remix now and days. It all depends on the DJ and what he is doing. I think that if a DJ is in a club then it shouldn't matter if he is playing a White Label record. BUT, if a DJ is playing THIS record and wants to either call it his own creation or add IT to a production that he is working on and calling it his own. Then that's not right. But we all use remixes all the time. I enjoy playing Dance remixes of Hip Hop in my VDJ Radio sets. Also like Anewsome I love to mix acapellas with instrumentals whether its a Hip Hop, House or R&B set. All those that here me know this, but remember one thing...the DJs that create these remixes or pre-mixes all do it so that thier stuff gets played. Not just in your IPOD but in your sets...whether its in a club or not. Just give them thier due respects for it.
So if you play them or not just do your best at it.

Also Anewsome I feel for you. Just about everytime I play on the Radio at least four songs are my own remixes that I made. I guess we just love the whole creative part of MIXING...but its all relative.

MS

Inviato Sun 07 Aug 05 @ 1:22 am
Well these white lable records I am talking about are not a remix made by the artist. They are not accapellas blended over instrumentals in realtime (I love to do that too). These are basically pre-made mixes that use a bunch of different songs from different artists. Usually, they sound like they were tracked with a multitrack in a studio and not something done by a remixer who only has access to accapellas and instrumentals.

The thing that annoys me most about these pre-mixes is everyone uses the same ones. When I mash something up or whatever, I'm usually trying to keep it fresh. I may come around on this someday and just decide to get lazy and spin other people's ready made mixes,.. but for now I maintain my stance that as a DJ, I should be making my own mixes when I am working.

Inviato Sun 07 Aug 05 @ 2:43 am
Well....when playing in a club (earning money) a DJ or CJ has to play the tunes that fills the floor. If the DJ or CJ is just a platter flipper then he/she will beat mix everything. If the DJ or CJ is any good at all they will not beat mix all night nor will they depend on other peoples mixes.

If you are in the groove you can play just about anything and have the crowd go koo-koo. But that involves mic work and a degree of confidence that most people don't have. Its something that has to be learned. You learn by trial and error and watching someone who knows how to do it.

The bottom line is, if you do your own mix and the dance floor keeps hopping, then you are doing it right.

Raw-Bear

Inviato Sun 07 Aug 05 @ 3:22 pm
I'm with Anewsome on this one... Its lazy to use the white labels. Since they dont know any better, people on the floor will give the dj playing those records credit for the great mix even though he didn't do any of it.

I have spoken to people who say "this guy is a great dj" and bla, bla, bla... then I tell them about the fact that he uses so many white labels, and they rethink their statement, or at least are not sure anymore. I would not use them, but to each his own.

Killabee44

Inviato Sun 07 Aug 05 @ 6:11 pm
Exactly. I am not in dispute with Anewsome at all. I agree with ya on this. I don't think that it is right for a DJ to call a White Label remix his own creation. As for me I can't do that whole DJ Jukebox thing. I can't just play song after song for hours at a time without creating a MIX. I need to be creative. Every set is in fact to me a creation and it needs to be thought out. When I bring it...I bring it! I have always said on this forums that I want people to say as they finish hearing one of my mixes...Damn that DJ made my day! But again I am not a club DJ and I understand that the patons want to hear good music. The club owners don't care that these kinds of records are being played. But as a DJ code of ethics every DJ should strive to be the best. Believe it or not there aren't many DJs out there that do strive to be the best and that is too bad. Because as technology progresses then the need for a person spinning the records will fade out. With such things as "automix" functions that these jukebox DJs enjoy so much, it will be the end to those of us that want to be creative. But I do hope that there will be those that enjoy a DJ throwing down! So...Anewsome keep bringing the originality and don't worry about those weak ass DJs that enjoy calling someone else's creations thier own.
There is nothing like dropping some dope acapella on a dope instrumental and knowing that quite possible the listeners have never heard that combo before! Could be the first combo of those two in history! Damn that gives me goose bumps. Now that's DJing!

MS

Inviato Sun 07 Aug 05 @ 9:24 pm
who cares... you guys are spending too much time critiziesing others instead of improving your own... its not like they are going to take your job anytime soon... its an art form that comes from with in and if you cheat your way to the top you WILL fail when put on the spot.. simple as that... be confident and know you are who you are... after all a good dj doesnt just mix music... they crerate an atmosphere and that is something you cant learn or teach... either you got it or you dont...THATS what MAKES a DJ period....and quite honestly evry mix shouldnt even be thought out.. they should be spurr of the moment as it should be an extention of your soul/mood... if you plan too far ahead its not from the heart.. besides you can spend lots of time planing something and blam the dance floor could completley change and your "plan" will all of a sudden fail... now what?.. thus the spontanius "in the moment" mixing...hence the atmosphere.... keep it real...its still an ART form

Inviato Sun 07 Aug 05 @ 10:06 pm
Damn I didn't mean to strike a nerve or anything. While yes I do understand that DJing cannot be overly planned, it does however take some planning. One cannot simply play a song WITHOUT knowing a few songs in advance what one will do next. I mean if you are playing in a House Music style gig, I don't think that you would bring some Salsa or Polka? What I mean by planning is knowing what style of music and style of mixing you will bring to the party. Knowing what songs are popular, where the breaks are, knowing what outro songs good with what intro. Just stuff like that. One cannot just simply hope for the best. That's all dude.

MS

Inviato Mon 08 Aug 05 @ 1:24 am
I would just like to clarify something here. I for one would never put a white label mix on and call it my own. However if a white label mix is part of an hour long recorded set that you mix, then it should be stated as such. Any recorded mixes should give credit and honour to the original artist that recorded the tune. White label mixes as far as I know don't do that, and should not be used in a mix that you want to call your own.
There has been so much stated here that is so true:

I personally like to mix everything myself, LIVE, using only standard versions of the songs, or instrumental / accapellas.

Club managers like to see the dance floor full and people hopping so they don't care what mix you use.

Theres nothing wrong with using a pre-mix aka a remix...A club dj's main job is to fill the dance floor and keep it moving.

If a DJ is in a club then it shouldn't matter if he is playing a White Label record.

I maintain my stance that as a DJ, I should be making my own mixes when I am working.

Its lazy to use the white labels.

I don't think that it is right for a DJ to call a White Label remix his own creation. Every set is in fact to me a creation and it needs to be thought out.

A good dj doesnt just mix music... they crerate an atmosphere and that is something you cant learn or teach... either you got it or you dont...THATS what MAKES a DJ period.

One cannot simply play a song WITHOUT knowing a few songs in advance what one will do next. One cannot just simply hope for the best.

For those of us that like to do live mixing and creat the mood, all I have to say is "Keep spinning."

To those of us that just like to see a crowd dance to white label mixes and are happy with that...well......thats cool too......just don't call it your own.

And to those of us who like to keep the crowd guessing on what the DJ will do next...all the more power to you...

If by doing your own mix, you see the crowd start to leave the dance floor only to come rushing back to party even more when they recognize the tune...well...there is no feeling that beats that...to see people dance to YOUR mix. And thats something the White Label DJs will never understand as long as their main mix is white label.

But thats what some club managers want. If you are working such a club where they supply the tunes but they do not give you creative license to fill the dance floor move on to a club that allows a DJ to be creative. Your creativity will shrivel up and die where creativity is not allowed.

By the way, I have been in and out of this line of work for 32 years now. I was a DJ BD (Before Disco).
It does my heart good to see so many DJs that want to be ARTISTS and not platter-pancake flippers and who love this line of work.

Its not about getting the girls, its about getting people to have fun.

Inviato Mon 08 Aug 05 @ 1:51 pm
Well said.

MS

Inviato Mon 08 Aug 05 @ 11:12 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)