Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Tips On EQ

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
EQ is one of the most accessible and easy-to-use creative features at a DJ's disposal.

Without doubt the best tool to control EQ is with a traditional mixer, the EQ of the Hercules DJ console doesn’t cut the mustard for professional use, but rather an ok solution for beginners, if you don’t have the luxury of a mixer I'd recommend you control the EQ of Virtual DJ directly with your mouse over the Hercules controller.

When the EQ is used correctly it can make a good set sound fantastic. It’s also very easy to use badly and for this reason I'll start off with what not to do with your EQ.

In short, the purpose of the EQ is to cut or boost certain frequency bands, either from the master output of your mixer via a master EQ or, more commonly, from the individual channels via each independent channel EQ. What the EQ is not is a volume control, a mistake sometimes made by beginners.

So whatever you do, do not set the EQ controls to their maximum (fully right), as this is the quickest way to overload and possibly blow up your system. Similarly, if a tune is too quiet in the mix the EQ is not the tool for increasing the levels; it will only change the character of the tune. Use your channel faders and gain controls to set the levels correctly.

So that’s a few pointers on what not to do with your EQ, but how about what you can use it for? In general, most EQs are three-band, with controls for low, mid and high frequency bands. Some mixers at the more affordable end of the market might just have a two-band EQ, and in that instance they will have controls for the high and low frequency bands.

Low end EQ first is particularly useful for cutting, fading and switching the bassline in a track, and done well can sound amazing in the mix. For some tricks a full kill is essential, but for general use it’s not necessary, and for many DJs low end EQ is an invaluable mixing aid as well as a creative tool. Just be careful if you’re boosting your basslines.

The high end EQ is a different kettle of fish and generally provides a tool for more subtle effects. For instance you can use the high end EQ to bring out a hi-hat or percussion line by rhythmically sweeping the high end control. It can also be used in the mix on its own – say, if you're coming out of a track and have taken out the low end and midrange. This leaves just the tops as a reminder of the track just gone, which you can then fade out to suit the structure of the incoming track.
Finally, the midrange band is probably the most difficult to use well, but by the same count, can sometimes be the most effective. This is because that in a lot of cases the midrange holds the meat of the tune: the lead lines, hooks and riffs.

So use this band with care because wielding it rashly can often kill a tune prematurely, because it’s harder to bring that riff back than take it out. Used thoughtfully and with clever timing, though, the midrange EQ can make the transition between two tunes that much smoother.

Good mix.

Inviato Thu 18 Aug 05 @ 11:24 pm
xaocineHome userMember since 2011
Hi i have a kind of bug with the equalizers, each time i touch one of them to reduce it or to raise it there is a kind of bug i hear a little "pop" who can i fix it ?

Inviato Tue 27 Mar 12 @ 4:05 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)