Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: MY PC CAN'T OPEN MY USB HD

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

my usb hd can't open up,the pc see it but every time i clik on it to open it says this drive is not ac/ble i test the hd this went ok but can't acc my music,and got a big gig to play got none of my music back up so i have no songs,just trying to understand why westerndigital soft/w could not test hd now can test it but my pc won't open the data in drive,any one can ?.thank you

Inviato Fri 09 Sep 05 @ 5:03 pm
What happens when you plug the drive in? Anything? Does the drive icon show up in my computer? Are the plug and play services running? What operating system are you using? Does the drive show up in disk manager? Not a whole lot of information here. It could 1 of a thousand things from bad power supply on your hard drive, bad usb cable, virus on your pc, etc.

Inviato Fri 09 Sep 05 @ 7:26 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
usb hard drives have got to be about the worst thing ever, this is what put me over the edge in my hate tword laptops, windows decides one day it doesn't like your hard drive and your screwed what if that were to happen at a gig. No back up? That's crazy why not even if you have to back up to cd its better then nothing! Firewire hard drives are by far better in my opinion since they don't require software to work. My advice its to take the hard drive out of the case borrow someone pc and make the transfer (if you can) to another hard drive

Inviato Sat 10 Sep 05 @ 1:53 am
I've seen my share of USB weirdness, plug in a drive and it's not recognized, etc. It has always been a PC problem. 100% of the time. I carry 2 USB hard drives, 2 laptops, 2 sets of USB cables and two power supplies so I hope to never be hit by this problem at a gig. I do have a handful of firewire/usb cases but here is the problem with firewire - not all PCs have them. Just about every PC has USB ports.

Inviato Sat 10 Sep 05 @ 1:57 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
they make pcmica cards with firewire ports, they also make pci cards with firewire ports. I don't think there are many places that don't sell these things.

Inviato Sat 10 Sep 05 @ 2:01 am
Yeah I know, I have probably 8 or 9 of these firewire cards. They sell PCI firewire cards at Fry's for $9.99 and I bought my Adaptec PCMCIA firewire card at compgeeks.com for $29.99. But both of my newer laptops have only 1 PCMCIA slot which makes it a pain to use these cards, since I can't do WiFi and firewire at the same time. So I'm not saying that it's a major pain, but it can be a bit inconvienant.

Inviato Sat 10 Sep 05 @ 4:06 am
the problem started with the firewire yesterday when i try to open hd drive to put some mp3 in there,it's telling me can not accessi drive unreadadle and corrupted so i try usb which i have been useing over 7 years,so anyone know of any soft/w i can get back my files ?.thank you

Inviato Sat 10 Sep 05 @ 4:57 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
what kind of external is the drive? Could you remove it from the case and hard mount it in your desktop PC so that way you could at least back up your data?

Inviato Sat 10 Sep 05 @ 9:59 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Phil,
So this is an external drive that is in a usb/firewire chassis that has been in service 7years.
And now you see it listed but can't access it.

My guess is the enclosure may have a problem or the drive has scrapped itself out.
Like Chris said, open up the machine, providing it is a desktop or another machine all together, and plug the drive in with the IDE cable and try to access it again.

This will isolate the drive from the enclosure/chassis.

I see you are on Verison east, what area are you from?
I am in SE Mass if you wish to contact me, hit my blog I will get my phone # to you.

BTW, it has become my practice to use a drive no more than 2 years.
Then I retire it as a backup drive, as they fill up anyway.
Don't buy the cheapest drives you can find, it doesn't pay, particularly when your whole collection is at stake.

Inviato Sat 10 Sep 05 @ 3:11 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
It's a very good advice mp3jrick. I don't use more than 2 years my hard drives either. If you see the specs of a HD they are made to have a life of 5 years, and many could do this.

If you want to now if the problem is in your HD or in his enclosure, you must to open it and put it in a PC. This drives are PATA HD so, you don't have any trouble doing this. BUT, if your hard disk sounds estrange (not like the other HD in your PC) the Hard Drive is dead and you couldn't do anything by yourself.

In CA I remember a company that could recover your hard disk information (in a hard disk with hardware problems; the job is make it In a LAB and they replace some hardware of your drive in order to make it run) and give it you back in a DVD or in another HD. This procedure isn't cheap, but they got 98% of your info back.

You have to be sure of the problem is before take this as an alternative.

Good Luck!

Inviato Sat 10 Sep 05 @ 4:30 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)