Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Fatal Crash - Show All (version 3.01)

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

DJ RazPRO InfinityMember since 2004
VDJ Crashed on me live.
I had 'Show All' Activated and was quickly clicking from folder to folder to figure out what to play next.

A couple of the folders had a lot of songs in them (recursively), about 3000.

Within a couple of seconds VDJ Crashed and I clikced recover but nothing happenned. VDJ just closed up.

I successfully reproduced the crash a few times.

Just have show all activated and repeatedly click on folders with a lot of songs in them.
Sooner or later VDJ Crashes.

Inviato Mon 19 Sep 05 @ 8:45 pm
So you want to see all the songs, but don't want to wait the few seconds it takes VDJ to compile that info? How about waiting until it gets finished getting the info you requested? You asked it to show all 3000 tracks, how long do you think it should take? How fast is your machine, & how much ram do you have? We all want everything instantly, maybe that's asking to much? It's like telling the Dr. "when I do this, it hurts". The Dr. says, "don't do that". A solution may be to have smaller groups, so it does it's job quicker. Or this could be a bug in the software, and they are working on it. Either way requires patience.

Inviato Mon 19 Sep 05 @ 11:29 pm
Umm no.
When you're live at a gig, and you got 2 minutes to pick and mix the next song, you don't have time to think of things like this.

Having us adapt to the bugs of the software makes no sense for anyone.

Eitherway, this is a bug forum, and I'm reporting a bug.

If you have nothing better to do than to come here and try to start something with people reporting bugs, I could use help categorizing my mp3s.

Exactly how much free time do you have?

Inviato Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 12:54 am
Yes. happens to me also on 3.01 on my karaoke folders if you don't wait. My other folders are smaller.

Inviato Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 2:40 am
Vdj is falling a sleep for some time now,too much time on this video thing i lke the video but it look you all trying to make music last it will not work,100% of ppl come to a club and dance!.

Inviato Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 6:47 am
I have no time to help you with your mp3's. Not for free anyway. As a pro, I get paid for my time. I was getting paid when I wrote that post. I work 7 days a week as a DJ. When I'm performing "Live", It's my job to be prepared. To have my machine look through multiple groups of 3000 files, is not efficient, and taxing. It also takes time. As I said before, if this is a bug, hopfully, they are working on it. Has anyone confirmed this to be a bug? Even if it is, your client does not want to hear about your problems with your software. I say this about all the things we use to perform. If you are not sure about your equipment, don't use it. Our clients are not test subjects. When you have been in this business long enough, you'll realize anything can malfunction, and does. When your Rane, Technics, or Pioneer equipment fails, what forum do you go to?

Inviato Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 10:10 am
@A Man and His Music

This is a BUG forum, set up by Atomix for us to report BUGS.
A crash, is a BUG.
A crash that doesnt recover when we click 'recover' and that gets triggered by the normal use of the software during working conditions is quite an important bug.

Atomix set up these forums so that we could help them identify bugs.
What you are doing is hindering their work.

Why you are trying to start a fight over a bug report is beyond me.

Inviato Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 3:33 pm
that's true, it does not matter if I wait for the operation to finish or not. Program cannot crash.
It may take some time to complete, maybe some operations are not interruptable and you have to wait.
But again crash is a BAD thing.

It's NOT SIMILAR to say "don't wonder you had a car accident while driving 200MPH on a frozen road".

Inviato Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 5:36 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
DJ RAZ,

This is a bug, sure is. If it isn't we don't have any notice that we could not handle a list with 3000 songs in it... Maybe the computer crashes because the RAM o anything else, but you find a crash and it will be repair or advice what CAN we do, and what can not do...

In the meantime you could make directories with less songs in them, and see if this problem repeats... Only for test of course, and if you find a crash again, let us know.

Good Luck!

Inviato Wed 21 Sep 05 @ 1:56 am
Yeah, in the meantime i'm going to be using playlists instead of show all directories.

It has nothing to do with RAM though, as I got 1 Gig and a top of the line IBM.
That plus the fact that an indexing algortihm is very standard stuff in computers.
Databases have over 1000000 records and their indexing doesnt cause crashes ;-)

It's a bug that only gets triggered by mistake...
I never click on my root folder when show all is enabled because it takes too long.
But I clicked it by mistake and since I couldnt wait (because the playing song was nearing its end), I clicked one or two other folders and it went 'boom'

And yeah, I'll always report bugs :-)

Inviato Wed 21 Sep 05 @ 2:51 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
DJ Raz -- Did you click 'Stop' on the recursing before you clicked the other folders? Also, I am under the assumption that the folders you were clicking on have mp3s broken out into other sub-folders? If not, then don't use the show all unless you are wanting VDJ to recurse an entire sub-structure. On another note, I don't know how many total files you have, but with 50,000+ files it only takes about 25 secs for my system to recurse my entire structure. I have 2Gb RAM and SATA drive with 7200RPM speed.

Inviato Wed 21 Sep 05 @ 10:04 pm
I'm not sure if I clicked stop or not.
It happened pretty fast, and my focus was on picking and mixing in the next song.

When I have show all enabled, I only click on folders that dont have a lot of songs in them.
This time I clicked on the root folder by mistake and didnt have time to wait 5 seconds. (cuz the playing song was ending soon)

Quickfix Suggestion: Make showall folder based.
This way we can only select for foldes that dont have too many songs in them.

But eitherway, the bug should be looked into.
The program shouldn't crash just because it's building 2 indexes a the same time.

And RAM wise, an index smaller than 10000000 files doesnt even take up 1 gig to build.
With 3000 songs we're talking a few megs of RAM at the very most.

Inviato Fri 23 Sep 05 @ 2:11 pm
In this you have to count in the hardware of the computer but you are correct, it is a bug. You have operated the program, much alike beta testers are doing to discover flaws in a program.
This isn't a beta though, but still a weakness in the program. The issue should be brought to attention by dev team. However, the hardware has a part in this. A weaker system is easier to cause a crash than a better system. And ofcourse the END USER has a part too.

Inviato Sun 25 Sep 05 @ 10:06 am
Hi All - I am new to VDJ and I have had a lot of crashing while running karaoke. I don't know what the Show All is (I guess I need to read the manual a little more), but I do have karaoke in folders that have more than 3,000 files. What I have to do to see everything in that particular folder is click on it and then wait for it to load in the VDJ screen so I can view the files. I get to my gig early so that I have time to open all the folders, but even though I do that, sometimes the program just crashes while a song is playing and I'm not even trying to view a folder and then I can recover (sometimes). Sometimes the whole program just freezes and I can't recover, and I still am not clicking on anything. I'm not sure how to try to minimize this and thought maybe some of you could suggest something? I have 2g of RAM and a brand new Dell machine I am using for this. It's just so embarassing when this happens.

Inviato Tue 30 Dec 08 @ 2:16 pm
Why are you opening a thread 3 years old and is related to version 3 of the software?
Are you truly still using that version? And if so, then why have you not registered you software?

Inviato Tue 30 Dec 08 @ 2:40 pm
I'm sorry - I didn't notice the date on the thread. I just purchased and downloaded the lastest version of VDJ pro. I didn't put in my registration information yet for I am at work and do not have access to it here, but I will update my profile when I get home.

Inviato Tue 30 Dec 08 @ 3:12 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
jellybeandawn wrote :
I just purchased and downloaded the lastest version of VDJ pro.... but I will update my profile when I get home.

Kewl;)

Hope to see u with us soon:)

Regards.

Inviato Tue 30 Dec 08 @ 3:50 pm
And start a new thread on your issue....

Inviato Tue 30 Dec 08 @ 3:56 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)