Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Laptop installation troubles ... won't even open!

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

John CPRO InfinityMember since 2005
It's an IBM A21P / w98se 4.10.2222a / pt3 850 mhz 384 ram "media machine" with ATI Mobility 128 @ 16m, decorder Philips 7114. It's a dual monitor version and that works very well.

I knew I wasn't going to be running video on this laptop and was hoping just to DJ with VDJ on it.

I can't even open VDJ on my old system even though everything seems to meet the requirements.

When attempting to launch VDJ the first error was a missing DLL file ... D3D9.dll which I installed into window system file.

Then the error was a missing D3D8THK.dll

I simply installed these from files in my main computer which uses w-2000 nt (IBM 1.6mhz pt4)

The GDI32.dll in my laptop is much older than the same file from the w-2000 system.

I now get the "D3D9.dll is linked to a missing GDI32.dll GDI entry13". I've attempted to update the GDI32.dll but it's being used and I can't get a newer version to load.

The other error is that "a device attached to the system is not working", however everything is functioning perfectly.

I loaded Direct X9c (per the first service response) and installed all the machine updates available and still can't even open VDJ.

Reinstalling VDJ after the updates didn't help?

Responses and followups are slow through e-service.

Perhap I can get some help from the users on these boards to get this running?

Inviato Fri 07 Oct 05 @ 10:18 pm
BTW I am a Licensed User ...not certain why the site ID under my name says I'm not???

Inviato Fri 07 Oct 05 @ 10:19 pm

Inviato Fri 07 Oct 05 @ 10:24 pm
Thanks for that assist.

Now to solve the big headache ... My home system works just fine with VDJ ... I've been attempting to get the laptop up and running VDJ since last Saturday!

Inviato Fri 07 Oct 05 @ 10:44 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
My friend you need to get lastest DirectX, that's why VDJ don't work.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?na=0&p=1&SrcDisplayLang=en&SrcCategoryId=2&SrcFamilyId=&u=%2fdownloads%2fdetails.aspx%3fFamilyID%3d0a9b6820-bfbb-4799-9908-d418cdeac197%26displaylang%3den

First you have to erase or put another files, Windows 98 isn't compatible with 2000. When you copy that files to Win98 you do a mistake. Rollback, put the original files in place, and if you couldn't do that, then put and older date in that files, so when you run the update, rewrite this files...

You have to uninstall DirtectX9c and reboot. Then install DirectX9c again.

Inviato Fri 07 Oct 05 @ 10:54 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
John,
Maybe if you had answered Jasons last question we could have continued with the problem.
We are not sure exactly what is wrong with your system, but we do discuss these and other problems to help solve problems with each other.
Don't take delayed replies the wrong way please.
You can look and see that the message has been read.
You have direct contact with us if you want it, you know that.
I'd rather you contact us through those last resort means than post it in another forum.

Hope you got that the right way.

Inviato Fri 07 Oct 05 @ 11:07 pm
Rick,

The operating system was posted on the service report just one post above his question.

I didn't realize my problem was so complicated?

Did I need to download from the website to my laptop, or is a copy of the download moved to the laptop considered to be a correct method?

Inviato Fri 07 Oct 05 @ 11:21 pm
I attempted to ask this question on the service area. Twice.

When I loaded Direct X 9C (per the first suggestion) and got more errors I was at a loss and asked what was next ... it was awhile as you can see by the report times, and the second request (I can give you the file number) never was responded to.

I get the feeling that my inquiries have taken a turn that is creating an uncomfortable situation.

Let's take a step back here and I'll reload w98se and restart my laptop. I'll take the 4 hours (3xs now) and download another direct x 9c install.

I felt I was adding the drivers it needed. Never new that the same drivers in 98se and 2000 were so different, just felt they were the latest updates.

Inviato Fri 07 Oct 05 @ 11:29 pm
Follow up:

The 2 week curse has been lifted.

A friend of mine (thanks goes out to Trevor), had a location for the driver I needed and simply placing the original D3D9.dll driver back into the folder solved the last issue. BTW it's located in C:\\Windows\system. The correct one for my issue was v 4.09.00.0901 dated 12/12/02 and was 1,592kb.

I mentioned having downloaded DX9c twice before. The odd thing was in checking, it had not installed. Turns out it just delivered an .exe file to send me back to a website for another hour. Then the install window appeared.

Also my discovery of lack of support since 2003 for w98se from it's builder left me searching through tons of search engine results. The only clear answer was to ask around if anyone had a site to look for it.

Let me help the next person that has difficulties by having done what I did. Hours of researching got me to this solution.

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/download.php?d3d9download0UEkWIbJeS

By the way I really appreciate the analysis that I could not use w2000 drivers in w98se, even if I did think I was just updating the same file. That was the answer, and it started with an outdated DX.

Inviato Sun 09 Oct 05 @ 10:26 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
John C, I'm glad you could make it. Thank's for the replay.

Inviato Mon 10 Oct 05 @ 5:07 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
John,
Very glad you were able to straighten it out with Trev.

You are always notified by email of notice of reciept.
Feel free to bump it with another comment or post instead of opening up a new folder.

Not all of these problems are simple, as you said, "hours".
Results vary based on able Windows installs, I found that out myself this weekend.
Trying to make a program as intensive as VDJ run on a 6+ old OS is a lot to ask particularly if it's not a fresh install and so on.
It's going to get to the point where some of these problems are going to require a fresh install as I found out this weekend.
Wrong drivers, well what can I say.
We go from needing the latest to needing specific non current ones, that is asking a lot.

But I am glad it is working, that is all that matters.

Rick

Inviato Mon 10 Oct 05 @ 9:20 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)