Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Distorted Sound. USB conflict?

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
This one has me puzzled. Allow me to explain....

I recently built a system based on the DFI Lanparty motherboard.
I own 2 XP-10's that run to a mixer.
On my old machine, I run the XP-10 USB connections to a hub, then that hub into the PC and all is well.

On this new machine, I have an odd phenomenon. If I plug one XP10 in, all is well. It sounds and behaves normally. However, when the second is plugged in (be it a seperate USB port, or into a shared hub with the first deck, or with each using a distinct USB port) the sound immediately distorts. The sound is similiar to a guitarist stepping on a fuzz pedal. This distortion is for all sounds....desktop sounds, VDJ, mp3 player....any sound through the XP!) soundcard is distorted.

XP10 #1 works fine, if alone, in any of my USB ports. XP10 #2 does as well. Only when both are plugged in does the problem begin.

I first thought it was a problem outside the PC...groundloop...feedback, or what have you. However, if I plug in the second XP10 and the distortion starts, unplugging that XP10 does not return the sound to normal. The distortion remains and only a windows reboot with only one XP10 plugged in will return the sound to normal. Am I correct in thinking this would rule out any cause outside the PC? I have disabled my onboard sound with no effect.

My USB drivers are current. Windows updates are current. I'm at a loss. I'd appreciate any help at all, even if just pointers toward further info.

I should add that when both XP10's are plugged in and the sound is distorted, the platters and buttons all work correctly on both decks with VDJ running.

Inviato Thu 13 Apr 06 @ 6:30 am
same for me, but not with xp10.

My numark DXM soundcards were doin the same when plugged to USB hub,
but only sometimes, directly they were ok.

Also my c-media USB (stereo) soundcards, one was ok, but several of them were problem.
I figured out that with default driver in windows they worked even thru USB hub and there were 4 of them. After windows update suggested me newer driver, all was cool because I have one of theese cards always plugged into my notebooks "hidden" usb and you only see the connectors, but
when I came to gig and blugged another ones, sound was garbage.

I suspect drivers, or some "USB polling frequency" that you can setup, or IRQ sharing.
Also try to disable onboard soundcard in bios, and others like com ports and everything you don't use.

(at least to figure it out)

Inviato Thu 13 Apr 06 @ 12:25 pm
Thank you for the reply.

Mine is not a hub problem. I get the same symptoms whether the XP10's are connected directly or via a hub (or one on hub, one not...I tried every permutation).

Windows shows none of my audio related devices to be shared IRQ. I'd think it was feedback through the lines, if the problem didn't persist after the 2nd, problem-causing XP10 was physically removed. Changing/removing onboard audio has no effect.

Plug in Xp10-A: It works.
Plug in Xp10-B: It works.
Plug in either of the above followed by the other, and it does not work. Horrible distortion in ALL audio output. Even system sounds.
Remove the 2nd Xp10 and the distortion continues (I rule out feedback) until a reboot.

I can only assume there is some strange USB thing going on with my motherboard or Windows, but I can't seem to find it.

If anyone has anything come to mind, please speak up. At this point, I'll entertain any kind of wild idea. I'm at my wits end after finally building a rig worthy of this software and getting slapped in the face with this annoyance. Big gig in a month. I REALLY hope I don't have to build another machine. Gah!

Inviato Mon 17 Apr 06 @ 10:03 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Maybe irq conflict as you said before. I have problems with maya44. I have 8 things with the same irq :) have to correct it. you can try ;)

Inviato Mon 17 Apr 06 @ 11:28 pm
Update:

I found the problem. It seems that at some point I'd had a Logitech Gamepad connected via USB. Removing the Logitech software package did the trick.

Leave it to me to overlook the obvious.

Inviato Wed 19 Apr 06 @ 12:44 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
it might not be getting anough usb bandwith , go into device manager and see if you can change the alocations

Inviato Sat 06 May 06 @ 1:10 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)