Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Mic confusion

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Ok....I'm baffled. Maybe someone here has had a similar experience or can help me figure out what the heck is going on.
I have a new 7.1 soundcard. When I plug my headset or webcam mic into it, everything works just fine and dandy. I would rather use a regular mic for gigs though. When I plug one of my three regular mics into the new 7.1 soundcard, nothing happens unless I pull the jack out a tiny bit (so it's not all the way plugged in) in which case I can hear the sound but it won't stay partially plugged in. My three regular mics all have the 1/4" jack, so I have to use an adapter. I've tried two or three different adapters on each of the three mics. The thing is...they work just fine on my old soundcard. The mics all work, the soundcard works with other mics, I'm just really confused.
I would assume that it had something to do with the fact that both the mics that worked fine on the new soundcard have 1/8" jacks, but when I use the adapter with my other mics on my other soundcard, everything works perfectly.
:-( I'm really confused

Inviato Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 9:16 pm
your microphones are stereo and your mic-in is mono, or visa versa.

That means they only get contact when half-way in.

If the jack has two black lines, its stereo... one black line its mono.
There seem to be a stere/mono conflict, thats causing this. Either on the jacks, or the adapter.

Inviato Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 9:17 pm
That was what I thought, but I still can't figure it out. The two mics that work have stereo. The mics that don't work are mono, but I have used both stereo and mono adapters without any positive results.
Besides...shouldn't the signal just go through the left and right channel if it's mono and hooked to a stereo connector?

Inviato Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 9:33 pm
Wait . . . the ground would be going into the right channel. Wouldn't that just make the mono signal go through just the left?

Inviato Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 9:36 pm
the mono jacks connect to the stero-in when almost pressed all the way in...

Why you still get sound, is a bit over my head.. lol ;)

I've just ran into the same problem as you have a cpl of times before..
When having mono mics for stereo-in :)

Inviato Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 9:43 pm
I only get sound when I pull the connector out a little bit, so I guess the jack is touching the connectors for both the left and right channels.

Soooooo....is there an easy way to fix this or would I have to get a new mic or splice some wires in an audio cable? I've got a small gig in a few days and I won't have a mixer so I added a mic volume slider to my favorite skin and I'm trying to get everything ready...

Inviato Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 9:46 pm
I think you can get a mono to stereo adapter for your mics.
A small little adapter that you connect to the jacks.

something like this:
http://www.oselectronics.com/ose_p108.htm
(but did not see your needed adapter on that page, but think you can find in your local hi fi & radio store)

Inviato Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 9:56 pm
I may end up splicing up an audio cable anyway to save myself a trip to Radio Shack. Thanks a lot for the help. Whenever I have a problem, you are usually the first one to help me out.

Inviato Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 10:00 pm
No prob ;) I kinda figured you had a gig soon, or something like that... so tried helping you out:)

Hopefully the cable thing works out good, and you can go nuts on the mic, and give a good show;) hehe

Inviato Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 10:03 pm
lol I'm still pretty new to DJing and don't have my own mixer. I started helping out a dj friend of mine early last year and I'm trying to get my own gigs (not doing too well though....*sigh*) In September I'm going to have to take a break for two years and then I can really get going when I come back.

Inviato Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 10:07 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Actually a very few mics are stereo. They have stereo connector just because of noise. Because long cables accepting a lot of other different signals which are heart as noise. So let say mic is mono, it has one wire splitted to two wires and splitted into one again at the end of cable. That's because of noise which is self-killed at the end when wires goes to one again.
Many mics have XLR (Cannon) plug because it is the best and has 3 wires. (look at my blog for article of plugs).

Inviato Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 10:07 pm
nice blog;) VDJ forum... the best there is.. so many great people, and so much knowledge..

And keep it up Steven... we all have to start somewhere... :)

Inviato Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 10:11 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
thank you dj-in-norway :)

i am writing about speakers now. But i am at the begining :)

Inviato Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 10:33 pm
Cool ;) The blogs are for sure getting to be a good source of knowledge.. good thing you are adding some interesting info ;)

Inviato Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 10:40 pm
There we go. My soldering iron was happy to get a little attention. Now it seems to work just fine. Thanks again!

Inviato Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 11:32 pm
Xeon,
I miss the Neutrik Powercon. This plug looks like the speakon, but can handle mains power. I use it a lot the last few years and I am very happy with it. Much better than the euroconnectors, which could slip out easily.
Ewout

Inviato Wed 19 Apr 06 @ 12:05 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)