Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: 80's Pop Songs...BPM Calculations

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

mzackPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Im scanning a lot of popular american 80's songs, Im scanning with "Any Music" but most of them are coming up 130-165 BPM....is it safe to say I can edit BPM and cut them all in half??

Why does this calculate BPM so high??

Inviato Thu 08 Jun 06 @ 2:53 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
some 80's songs can actually be in the 130's are u talking about freestyle club songs? also some songs are not half of what they say ..u also have songs that are 2/3 of the bpm vdj has

Inviato Thu 08 Jun 06 @ 5:04 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
A quick visual on the waveform will tell you if the bpm is correct.
If the wave spikes and anchors (squares) line up, chances are good that the bpm is correctly read but doubled.

Inviato Thu 08 Jun 06 @ 5:21 pm
yeah but most time even when the bpm is correct the squares dont line up with the first beat or clap

Inviato Thu 08 Jun 06 @ 5:32 pm
mzackPRO InfinityMember since 2006
ok.....most of the songs I am scanning are not "club" orieted, for example...

Toni Basil - "Hey Micki" BPM = 147.2, the little square is before the first beat, another example...

Toto - "Africa" BPM = 134.3, now I know this is not true, I dont count beats but this song is slow

I read somewhere that a quick test is to try looping the song, if its not seamless, then the BPM need to be recalculated? Is this a valid point??

Inviato Thu 08 Jun 06 @ 5:55 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Definately going to show in a 4 8 or 16 beat loop.
The first big anchor square will be on the first tall spike which is usually a snare nor a kick drum beat, philly is correct.

Inviato Thu 08 Jun 06 @ 5:58 pm
my africa scans at 93 and after applying loop it seems to be correct so i guess on yours u should have subtracted 1/3 my hey micky shows as 147 ..but the loop works fine so im guessing it's exactly half
you can always tell if the bpm is off by twice if the loop still works ..if not the its off by 1/3 meaning subtract 33.3% and u should be pretty much on the money give or a take one or two or mulitply it by .666 (seriously) so ur version of africa is in the 89 to 91 range

Inviato Thu 08 Jun 06 @ 8:46 pm
my africa is 92.8, so the value mentioned by phillydj seem pretty ok to me. For older songs it is quite hard to determine if VDJ has the correct bpm value. Most songs are drummed by hand, and the bpm is fluctuating. VDJ is only capable of storing 1 bpm. Some songs also have bad cuts (try the start of michael jackson - Billie jean) Other songs have a slight faster chorus.
So mixing by "hand" will be needed in those cases.
Ewout

Inviato Fri 09 Jun 06 @ 12:15 am
this is what seperates dj's from pro dj's. i never counted on vdj's bpm ..just some pretty numbers to me ..so true about the older music , it wasn't looped so bpm's change whenever it wants, you just have to nudge away like on vinyl

Inviato Fri 09 Jun 06 @ 12:28 am
Also remember that real musicians can not stay on beat. I basically know about what the bpm is. I'm with phillydj, this is not a deal breaker for me. I was a mixer before there were beat counters.

Inviato Fri 09 Jun 06 @ 10:30 pm
Agree, for a lot of songs you know the beat globally, likle is between 110 and 115. So you know if it could or could not be used / mixed with the current song. If so, you just try. Sometimes the bpm is ok, but the key is not, or the beats are just not matching together, then you simply take another song. I still do beat matching manually (read by ear).
Ewout

Inviato Sat 10 Jun 06 @ 12:07 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)