Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: bpm mixing: hi bpm with low bpm tracks

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

rayjHome userMember since 2006
hi, this is a question to the more professional dj's out there...

tracks with similar bpm are very easy to mix, its then just a mtter of having the sense of when, and how, to crossover from one track to another....

my question is, however, what is the best way to mix tracks of varying bpm? for example, one track has a count of 125, and the other 135 or 140? whats the best way to do it effectively?

thank you very much

Inviato Sat 02 Dec 06 @ 3:55 am
um, well, i guess u could go in to config and click options and put pitch range to -34+34 and mix it that way, but make sure u have keylock on, padlock looking thing left right of vdj and this can be done by having the pitch slider at 0 and turning keylock on for both decks. Other wise if u dont have keylock on and u slow it down it will sound like a screw tape, for all u screw heads u know what im talkin about, let the man rest in peice, anyway make sure to have keylock on, hope that helps u a lot!!!!!!!!!!

Inviato Sat 02 Dec 06 @ 6:23 am
sorry it took so long to answer your question.

Inviato Sat 02 Dec 06 @ 6:24 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Press Sync to cut a long story short on that deck which your fading to

but if the jump is more that 4% id avise you do an fm style fade with out the matching or

adjust it to 4% only

Inviato Sat 02 Dec 06 @ 11:14 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
manualy aslo u can match the bpm by dragging the sliders until the values are the same

hope that helps :)

Inviato Sat 02 Dec 06 @ 11:15 am
Take into account that it's not always best to blend both songs together at the same BPM. With a bit of practice, you can do a lot of original and interesting mixes with different songs; it always depends on what songs you're trying to mix. For example, you could have a slow song playing in deck A. In deck B you can load a fast song with a vocal loop. You start fading the middle frequencies from deck A to deck B, so people start listening the vocal track (and start getting excited to dance it as well xD)... then, as the "bass" beat 1 is going to come in deck B, you quickly move the crossover from A to B, so people get a sudden "boost" of energy.

Other ways, a bit less "interesting", can be backspining, or just using "break" or "loop out".

Just listen to the songs and try to imagine a good way of mixin them... with a bit of practice, everything is going to be better and better...

Inviato Sun 03 Dec 06 @ 3:32 am
backspin but be quick

Inviato Sun 10 Dec 06 @ 2:40 pm
ktilakPRO InfinityMember since 2006
i dont... work your set climbing or decreasing bpm's...

if it's a request, hold off on it till it fits in the set (sometimes they love to hate/hate to love this and like go absolutely crazy when it does come on i've found lol)

or like was said, do a backspin or brake effect in beat with the song and start the new song on it's first large beat.

OR

do that and intro the new song with a sample of a boom. thats tight. use it sometimes within a set just for fun. i have like 15 different booms. all sounds tight when beatmatching.

Inviato Mon 11 Dec 06 @ 10:39 am
You might be trying too oddball of a spread. 20 bpm can sound strange to the listeners especially if you happen to return the song back to the origional tempo. (I do that alot).

I do this quite a bit though :

song #1 - 137 bpm
song #2 - 68.5

You'll notice if you use a calculator that song # 2 is exactly half speed of song #1. therefore song #2 can be beatmatched over song #1 perfectly but half the tempo. You can even perform your own mash-up this way.

Example - rhianna - s.o.s - 137bpm (aprox)
ahsanti (i think) my love is like whoa - 68 bpm

With some quick adjustments to your bpm in "my love is like whoa" YOu can kill the bass in this song , select a 16 beat loop at the end of "S.O.S" and then play with your EQ settings till the mid/highs of "my Love is like Whoa" so that her voice cuts out over the pumping bassline of "S.O.S"

Presto - instant mash-up and an oddball tempo beatmatch

Plus the benifit of this type of mash-up is that you can go either way- slower bump and grind or keep the bass pumping and mix out to another fast song - soft cell (the base track for S.O.S) or any other song around 132-145 Bpm.

I like doing this cause it's a great way to take two instantlly reconizable songs and get them out of the request queue.

DJ Marcel
Purple Onion Nightclub

Inviato Mon 11 Dec 06 @ 10:30 pm
rayjHome userMember since 2006
yep your right. if u have ever heard of guys like erol alkan, justice, soulwax, justus kohncke, etc - well thats the music i love. a fusion of eclectic rock and house beats. anyway, some tracks differ hugely, but yes mathematically some bpm is half of the other tracks, or close to anyway. sometimes its no even possible to mix these tracks if the syle of track is so different and bpm ranges so greatly, but if your track selection is smart enough, it can be accomplished to a degree. i asked this question to get some opinions, and maybe even some tricks to the job more streamlined and smoother.

another question, im looking at buying the latest version of virtual dj, but i dont like the way you control the high, mid and low graphic equaliser. in past versions sliders were used, now there are knobs. i find this a lot harder to be accurate with when using a mouse... is there a way to change this, a skin perhaps?

thank you

Inviato Sun 24 Dec 06 @ 6:11 am
some skins have sliders ...some have knobs...preference of choice is yours(or you can modify skin once you buy pro and download one you like

Inviato Wed 27 Dec 06 @ 4:59 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)