Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: USB vs. Internal sound card quality

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Do USB cards always sound much better than internals, say a nice internal one (around 100 bucks, maybe x-fi or sumpin), would it sound better than an inexpensive external?

Inviato Thu 07 Dec 06 @ 12:00 am
dont think so, usb would sound better, correct me if i am wrong guys!
and, if u are trying to get a soundcard, go with: u46 dj, they can be found at about $200.00, just go to http://www.googl.com, and search u46 dj soundcard.

Inviato Thu 07 Dec 06 @ 1:02 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Your sound card is the single most important piece of equipment you will buy.
Absolutely love my M Audio Fast Track Pro, in fact I love everything M Audio does with hardware.

Inviato Thu 07 Dec 06 @ 1:58 am
abnormPRO InfinityMember since 2003
USB, PCI, PCMCIA are all interfaces. They have nothing to do directly with the sound quality. The type of interface will have more impact your latency.
Sound quality depends on things like DACs (Digital to analog converters).

Inviato Thu 07 Dec 06 @ 4:01 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
yes basialy u get what u pay for :)

Inviato Thu 07 Dec 06 @ 11:28 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
The main problem with USB is the slow transfert of data compared to PCI
So as said above, it will influence latency

Inviato Thu 07 Dec 06 @ 9:58 pm
What does latency really mean and affect, and what problems does it cause and what can be done about those problems?

Inviato Sun 10 Dec 06 @ 9:53 am
latency is the time bettween the sound being generated and played if its a large amount of time on a poor card , it sounds terrible

the best solution is to get a good card and use guides to configure it to its best ie

u46dj

Inviato Sun 10 Dec 06 @ 11:23 am
@djcel
Actually the USB speed itself has little if any negative effect on audio. USB1.1 is fast enough for 8 audio streams (4 stereo) so not really an issue here..

@skyfxl
Latency can mean a number of things. It has nothing to do with sound quality however. In general outgoing latency is of little consequence unless you are mixing it with an incoming signal.

Inviato Sun 10 Dec 06 @ 2:48 pm
paulheu wrote :
@djcel
Actually the USB speed itself has little if any negative effect on audio. USB1.1 is fast enough for 8 audio streams (4 stereo) so not really an issue here..

@skyfxl
Latency can mean a number of things. It has nothing to do with sound quality however. In general outgoing latency is of little consequence unless you are mixing it with an incoming signal.

in my personal experiance
on larger systems
it becomes very aparent
the effect latency can have
it makes sound become destorted
or in very fast action sound engering work , its imporant to be able to reflect changes asp

aslo Acording to the Course im doing A+ dj cel is right
pci has a much faster transfer rate , now even more so with pci express 32 and possibly is more desirable depending on what aplication your system is for

Inviato Sun 10 Dec 06 @ 3:26 pm
alx2kPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I agree with you all,

of course PCI has larger bandwidth than FireWire and USB; but I also agree with the fact that you also don't need a PCI soundcard since a good (I repeat, good) USB or FireWire soundcard can be used with VDJ and have impressive results.

In terms of usage/price, a good USB soundcard can do, such as the U46DJ mentioned above.

Also, don't get me wrong, even when USB 1.1 could handle 4 stereo channels... I would never use it. Go for USB2 port and soundcard (u46DJ is USB2).

(if you have a computer without USB2 support, your computer probably won't have also other specs for smooth DJing)

Inviato Mon 11 Dec 06 @ 12:20 am
a very wise post:)

Inviato Mon 11 Dec 06 @ 12:32 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
But for me the main problem is not the USB but the way the USB is managed on the computer (motherboard, chipset, power saving, ...), conflict with other devices (LAN,wireless, ...) and as we can see it on this forum all the time, it causes a lot of problems (because of bad manufacturers). That's why i advise PCI if you can.

And if you make tests, you will see that you can reach sometimes lower latency with some PCI audio card than USB audio card (with audio pro hardwares of course )

Inviato Mon 11 Dec 06 @ 4:37 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
My main concern with internal vs external is that an internal card is closer to alot of other noisy electronics (CPU, GPU, power supply, etc.)
An external card (USB/firewire) can be placed further away from these and/or shielded manually, giving potentially better sound, or at least less EMI based noise.

Another concern is bus management. If storage drives and audio are on the USB together, then one can potentially interrupt the other. audio interrupting storage acces for a split second is not noticeale, but storage access interrupting audio for a split second is unacceptable. For that reason, I have a USB sound card and firewire for storage.

DJ Cel has a good point with the hardware conflict isues, but once you get all that settled, then if you use the same USB port for your sound device everytime, then you shouldn't have any more conflict issues than you could potentially have with a PCI device.

Inviato Tue 12 Dec 06 @ 5:01 pm
My real question would now be changed to: Will I get pretty near the same performance with a good internal such as soundblaster X-FI extreme music as withan ext. u46DJ??

Inviato Tue 12 Dec 06 @ 6:13 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)