Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: backing up cues on external hardrive?

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

dydy1PRO InfinityMember since 2006
How do you back up your cues on external hardrive to use later on with my other backup pc?

Inviato Mon 11 Dec 06 @ 10:26 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
copy mp3database.txt

virtualdjdatabase.xml

virtualdjdatabase(yourname).xml

Inviato Mon 11 Dec 06 @ 10:31 pm
skyfxl, Explain it to me better with baby steps !

Inviato Mon 11 Dec 06 @ 10:33 pm
PuttePRO InfinityMember since 2004
All the cues, bpm etc are stored in the "VirtualDJ Database(Your logon name).xml" in the program folder .
Just copy it to your other backup PC ,you need to rescan the file because you probably dont have the same drive letter ,right mouse click on the local database in the skin if you want to use your backup pc as a backup pc or even better take the whole Vjd folder then you get all the eftects , samplers , skins, plugins

Inviato Mon 11 Dec 06 @ 10:33 pm
skyfxl, thank you. I will try just that!

Inviato Mon 11 Dec 06 @ 11:03 pm
i woudlnt take the whole folder if u do dont copy the actual program

the .exe is rendered inert with out the registry settings

Inviato Mon 11 Dec 06 @ 11:13 pm
PuttePRO InfinityMember since 2004
Yes you need to have VDj installed on your backup PC first before you can copy the the whole folder . you can always fix the settings in the registry later , i think it was an backup dydy1 asked for.
I use a synk software to take the backup both on c program vdj and on my server .if something happen when im working a can alway get a copy of the xml database

Inviato Mon 11 Dec 06 @ 11:26 pm
:)

Inviato Mon 11 Dec 06 @ 11:28 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Still reckon it would be soooooo helpful if in a future version of VDJ, they could add an option to the config to keep the recordcase data in a user-defined place, a la PCDJ.... (yeah I know I'm always going on about this one, but it just seemed relevant! ;-)

Inviato Tue 12 Dec 06 @ 1:27 pm
pcdj works by having all the files in one folder which can be cumbersome for some but i get what ur saying

Inviato Tue 12 Dec 06 @ 2:58 pm
gracais pana

Inviato Tue 12 Dec 06 @ 4:26 pm
djsherz wrote :
Still reckon it would be soooooo helpful if in a future version of VDJ, they could add an option to the config to keep the recordcase data in a user-defined place, a la PCDJ.... (yeah I know I'm always going on about this one, but it just seemed relevant! ;-)

I agree with you, serato saves it's files in any hard drive connected to it. That way anyone who plugs in a hard drive to a scratch live pc will have their data their.

Inviato Tue 12 Dec 06 @ 11:10 pm
ashlarPRO InfinityMember since 2006
So you guys are saying youll still have to rescan the entire new hard drive? Isnt there a way to simply edit the xml file and enter the new drive letter? Or does each cue point call out the drive letter and folder heirarchy? I lost both my laptop and plugged in the wrong power adapter for an external and lost everthing. I do have the original files on a backup but fear the worst...

Inviato Fri 15 Dec 06 @ 1:57 am
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
No, it's not a case of having to rescan every time. If for example I want to move my music drive from my gig machine to another computer, I firstly have to go into the virtualdj folder on the gig machine, and copy the database onto the music drive. On plugging into the other computer, I then move this back into the virtualdj folder, overwriting the original database. At the end of the night, it's more copying and pasting, doing the same thing in reverse in order to keep the database up to date on both computers.

My point is that this is a lot of messing around. It would be so much simpler if the database could live permanently on the removable drive, and it was possible to point the software to it yourself. The problem is that the location of the database is set as c:/program files/virtualdj, and there's nothing you can do in the config to change this.

Inviato Fri 15 Dec 06 @ 5:34 am
ashlarPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Actually the xml file was very easy to move and re-edit within a text program such as word.

For instance my old drive was G and the new was J, found it in the xml file and renamed.

The old faves had different names for their folder so all I did was named them according.

Fired up the fresh install with the old xml file within the directory and worked unhitched. Awesome!

Inviato Fri 15 Dec 06 @ 9:34 am
good to hear :-)

Inviato Fri 15 Dec 06 @ 10:24 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)