Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: The DOMINATION begins! MWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA... - Page: 2

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Most of the plugins are Windows DLL's, so they will not work on the Mac version.

The plugins will need to be recompiled on a mac and may need modifications (E.g: Replace any Windows specfiic functions with Mac equivalents.)

Inviato Thu 04 Jan 07 @ 7:46 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Mac is excellent, but you must buy what works for you. If you have all you needs cover in Mac; go for it, if your needs only run in Windows, stay in Windows.

It will be a real pain to try to have all that have already done for Windows (Effects or all DLL based applications). When VirtualDJ Mac Version is available there is going to be more work to do for all pluggins available now to make them Mac compatible. As jpboggis said, they need to be recompile.

All around Mac (or Apple) is more expensive for a very simple reason, 90% of the Personal Computing is in Windows. Now with all PC Hardware works for Mac and Windows becuase are Intel based both, the devices are going to cost the same (because they are the same) The only thing is going to be needed are the Mac OS X drivers for these equipments.

The best in Mac World is: MacOS X. Mac OS X is Unix based, so if anything works in Linux it could be done to work in MAC OS X theorically. But again, They are more Linux users than Mac users around the world, if Mac OS X could be buy it without a Mac Computer, then I bet Windows will be out of the picture, but that is not going to happend.

Good Luck!

Inviato Thu 04 Jan 07 @ 8:04 pm
I switched and never looked back. I got the G4 Powerbook over a year ago and its more stable than my girlfriend. Had it for a year and not even a hiccup! I was sick of my PC crashing!

They do cost a little more though. One of my best friends just spent 3 grand on the MACbook Pro...ouch...

Heres a horror story: My brother also DJ's...He started getting paid to play around a year ago. This New Years I invited him to play with me at my gig. He uses stricly Serato and has a crappy Dell. We had to be at the bar @ 9pm. At 8:30 he went to do a disk clean up and the computer CRASHED! A half hour before he was going to play on one of the most important nights of the year. Luckily it was my gig and I went on as normal. He had to reformat...ouch.

Inviato Thu 04 Jan 07 @ 8:08 pm
CHARL1E F1VE wrote :

I switched and never looked back. I got the G4 Powerbook over a year ago and its more stable than my girlfriend.

hehehe ;)

Inviato Thu 04 Jan 07 @ 8:11 pm
TexZKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
jpboggis wrote :
Most of the plugins are Windows DLL's, so they will not work on the Mac version.

The plugins will need to be recompiled on a mac and may need modifications (E.g: Replace any Windows specfiic functions with Mac equivalents.)

Hmmm... there's one thing I don't understand in Windows VC++ headers: WHY THE HELL THERE'S A "#ifdef _MAC"??? Does it mean that we can compile it for Mac? This would be cool! I don't know this because I don't have the right knowledge about it...

Anyway, if it will happen what you're saying, and I'll have my own money, I may switch. Anyway, I'll keep a PC, because I can't loose what I've already got on Windows... I've still got my old P2 400MHz with Win98 SE just because I want to start old applications which worked 100% or somewhat on it! (And old DOS programs)

Inviato Thu 04 Jan 07 @ 8:13 pm
Charlie Five,

Anything is more stable than a girl :-D even Windows :-D

Mac Powerbook G4 is now like a slow old car... Try the new Powerbooks with Intel Core 2 Duo inside... You are not going to believe how fast it works. But I'm agree with "why change what it's already working good for me?", but if you like the best, then the new Intel based Mac are for you.

Inviato Thu 04 Jan 07 @ 8:17 pm
TexZK wrote :
Hmmm... there's one thing I don't understand in Windows VC++ headers: WHY THE HELL THERE'S A "#ifdef _MAC"??? Does it mean that we can compile it for Mac? This would be cool! I don't know this because I don't have the right knowledge about it...

Many compilers allow (Or have the capability to allow) cross-compiling for other operating systems, so it may be possible to compile a Mac compatible plugin on a PC. This would be very useful for PC plugin developers who want to compile a Mac version of their plugin without having to buy a Mac.

Inviato Thu 04 Jan 07 @ 8:37 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
skyfxl wrote :
oh no

they are compiled as exe for easy install the actual plugins should on the whole be ok :)

thats exactly correct skyfx, im impressed, the exe is just an unpacker with a different payload

but then the plugins are all 'dll' files, wonder how OSX will like those beauties

i hope you take all of your share options ConQuest (if they give you any over there in the states)! youre going to be a very rich man

is Apple an IT company or a cult?

Inviato Fri 05 Jan 07 @ 2:15 am
acw_dj wrote :
All around Mac (or Apple) is more expensive for a very simple reason...

T.C.O. = Total Cost of Ownership. THAT is why windows users are switching by the hundreds of thousands [looks like it may be over a million for 2006 though, we'll soon find out... we weren't expecting to cross that number until this year, but the sooner the better... for Apple and them].

Introductory price point [cheap pc's where Apple does not compete because it doesn't have to nor does it want to be associated with them] are no longer as important as owning a stable, reliable and secure computer because the masses are entrusting their computers with so many more important things that encompass many different aspects of their lives.

Users are no longer buying computers as glorified, overpriced typewriters or just for gaming. They are storing different types of irreplaceable and important information [documents, photos, music, videos, etc] for different reasons [home, work, school, etc.]. Games? I haven't heard that question for a computer purchase more than once every few months for almost 2 years now. When it does come up, "Get a console [Playstation, Nintendo, xbox, whatever]. You're computer is now too important to be compromised unnecessarily for silly reasons like gaming".

The majority of users want reliable and secure computers to manage all of that information for those different reasons. Macs provide that, windows pc's do not.

As applications and general use becomes more web based, security has now become the primary concerns for the vast majority of people. Macs provide that, windows pc's do not.

acw_dj wrote :
90% of the Personal Computing is in Windows.

Decline of the Roman Empire
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decline_of_the_Roman_Empire

All dominant, and seemingly "ever-lasting" [at the time] empires fall. The weaker ones obviously fall a lot quicker.

microsoft's windows "empire" will fall VERY quickly. It won't dissappear completely, EVER, but it's disproportianate dominance was a short lived one from the mid 90's until the near future.

acw_dj wrote :
Now with all PC Hardware works for Mac and Windows becuase are Intel based both, the devices are going to cost the same (because they are the same) The only thing is going to be needed are the Mac OS X drivers for these equipments.

True. Equipment compliance enables all manufacturers who use the same parts to buy at reduced prices because of higher volume purchases. Volume economics aka the "Taco Bell Theory" here in the U.S. It's the reason for success of all the big "MegaStores" where you can buy more of anything than you'll ever need for "cheap".

acw_dj wrote :
But again, They are more Linux users than Mac users around the world,

Hardly.

REPOST:
http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=2

Macs have more than 4x the marketshare of Linux because Macs are used in every environment, not just in IT and among Do-It-Yourselfers that make a minor part of the []ioverall computer market.

acw_dj wrote :
if Mac OS X could be buy it without a Mac Computer, then I bet Windows will be out of the picture, but that is not going to happend.

If you could buy Mac OS X and load it on any computer, then Macs would be just as unstable and insecure as windows pc's.

You're right, that's not going to happen.

[Although I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility that Apple may license Mac OS X to some pc manufacturers for "Apple Certified" [or something similar] hardware configurations that are approved by Apple and may be sold as the "HP Mac", or the "Sony Mac", etc.]

acw_dj wrote :
Good Luck!

If luck has anything to do with starting a mass exodus from a dominant platform to a rival one, the Apple is indeed the "luckiest" compnay in the world. ;)

acw_dj wrote :
The best in Mac World is: MacOS X. Mac OS X is Unix based, so if anything works in Linux it could be done to work in MAC OS X theorically.

Yes. That is why this is happening:

Macs crowd out Linux on corporate desktops
http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1264637162

Inviato Fri 05 Jan 07 @ 2:46 am
Dj Xeo wrote :
is Apple an IT company or a cult?

LOL!!!

A hardware manufacturer first, sofware developer second, and a company with an extraordinarily loyal user base for products that people used to refer to as "just a computer", because for most people windows pc's are something that they had to tolerate in the workplace, then ended up in their homes because of their familiarity with them at the workplace, but now the majority of people are realizing that just because their workplaces buy cheap windows pc's for them at work, that doesn't mean that it's the best option for them at home where they don't have an IT department and most don't know anything about fixing a computers' hardware and/or software.

THAT is why the masses are switching to Mac at home, and if they happen to be business owners themselves, guess what? They'll switch their companies computers to Mac when they realize how much money they'll save in the long run by having longer lasting, stable, and secure coomputers that don't need to be constantly managed by expensive IT people and/or departments.

It's like the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". windows is broken, and Macs are fixing it. Because with Macs, the saying changes to "If it don't break, you don't need to fix it."

T.C.O.

Here's an interesting read for you about the "cult" like loyalty of Apple users:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_of_Mac

Inviato Fri 05 Jan 07 @ 3:09 am
ConQuest,

I really know about Computer equipment, I live from that. Home Users are swiching to Mac, ok, in USA it's true, but in the rest of the world? How about China? there is a lot of people there... or maybe in latin-america? or in europe?... I gues in Africa then.... or in ASIA?? ooohh you ment USA , ok. But what happens in USA not always go well in other countries.

As an example, Did you now about Hip-Hop? How many radio programs or tv programs are in the States about this? Ask me for radio playing only hip-hop on latin-america? or in Europe or in other places in the WORLD?... Sure there is a difference.

The best is going to be on top, but it isn't clear right now. When Windows Server comes out, everyone bet that Novell Netware is going to die, but guess what, now owns Linux Suse and is getting stronger. Unix market share also seems to be out because of windows servers... they are less now and people get more troubles because of windows servers, but it stills strong Unix systems around the world.

In this matter, and seeing the history of those systems and people choices, anything could happend, but Mac haven't secure the Personal Computing in their pockets.

Inviato Sat 06 Jan 07 @ 4:55 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)