Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Accuracy of pitch slider & BCD2000

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

OK, I'm almost ready to part with some cash and buy VDJ :-) , but I need just one last niggle sorted out or answered beforehand ....

Basically the pitch control does not seem as acurate as I would like it - I'm used to using conventional pro CD decks where the pitch is adjusted in 0.1% increments/decrements (ie. it goes from 0% to 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4 .....)

With my BCD, a tiny nudge of the pitch (like you would do on a CD deck) does not seem to do anything, you need to nudge it a bit more, and get a change of about 0.25% - therefore pitch changes go from 0% to 0.25%, 0.5, 0.75, 1% .... etc
Its not always exactly 0.25% - but its always about that value (0.22, 0.2 etc), but its never 0.1%

At first I thought it might be the BCD not being as responsive as I might like - not sending MIDI data as acurately as I like, but then I tried simply using the mouse to drag the pitch slider onscreen, and that does the same (ie. increments/decrements by ~0.25%)

Can VDJ be configured to be a bit more acurate in this respect ?

Thanks in advance

JD

Inviato Thu 04 Jan 07 @ 3:34 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
i think you can adjust this using the bcdmapper :)

for pro users

can any one confirm this :)?

regards

simon

Inviato Thu 04 Jan 07 @ 3:36 pm
Simon - whats the 'bcdmapper' ?? I think you've mentioned in a previous post of mine that it is available to pro users (that will be me hopefully soon :-) ), but can you post a screen shot of what it looks like so I will have an idea as what to expect ?

Back to the main question - the acuracy of the pitch slider - given that I'm finding it goes in ~0.25% increments when simply using the mouse, that suggests to me that its not to do with the BCD, but with VDJ ???

Cheers

JD (looking forward to the screen shot !)

Inviato Thu 04 Jan 07 @ 4:35 pm
the bcd mapper (any mapper)is a tool to alow you to adjust the config of what buttons do and the sensitivity of them

you can find more about it here

http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/tools.html

il aslo try and find a picture for u ;)

Inviato Thu 04 Jan 07 @ 4:46 pm
The BCD2000 is a MIDI device, so the pitch will only have 128 unique values (Or steps), which at 8% pitch range in VDJ will give you increments of 0.125%.

With a mapper, it's possible to have a 'fine pitch' function where holding down a button and moving the pitch slider causes the pitch to increase/decrease in smaller increments (Ignoring the current pitch range.) It's up to the programmer of the mapper plugin to implement this function.

My DAC-3 mapper (For PCDJ DAC-3 controller) has this function, although it's less necessary (The DAC-3 has twice as much precision as the BCD2000 (256 steps rather than 128.))

If the BCD2000 mapper doesn't have a 'fine pitch' function (I don't own a BCD2000, so I can't confirm this), you can always make a request for this function to be added via the Plugins forum.

NOTE: This is not a limitation of VDJ - Internally it has 4096 pitch steps, so even at 34% range you will get 0.017 increments! The precision of the on-screen pitch sliders depends on their length (Number of pixels.)

Inviato Thu 04 Jan 07 @ 7:09 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
@skyfxl

Don't answer to questions that you don't know. You don't have a BCD and certainly you have not used tha BCD Mapper.

The answer is no. Tha BCD Mapper (so far) does not have tha abillity to assign buttons in your own way. Moramax has assigned some of them but you can not change them as you like. Fine pitch is not assigned to any button(s).

Inviato Fri 05 Jan 07 @ 9:57 pm
moramaxPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
@djdad foe now i've make an optimizated mapper but it's in my planning to make one custum by the user
but i confirm that in the BCD2000 mapper is already available the function asked ( fine pitch function)....that permit to increase or decrease the pitch of very low value.
the mapper is available only for professional user and there is a pdf manual that expplain how do it.

BAND - Pitch Bends the track forward while being pressed.
If pressed with ANALOG INPUT A/B adjust fine pitch

BAND + Pitch Bends the track back while being pressed.
If pressed with ANALOG INPUT A/B adjust fine pitch

Inviato Sat 06 Jan 07 @ 4:44 am
djdad wrote :

Moramax has assigned some of them but you can not change them as you like. Fine pitch is not assigned to any button(s).

@djdad i'm sorry but you said wrong, the function is available!!!

Inviato Sat 06 Jan 07 @ 5:12 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Yes it's true i did not notice that, but still the user can not change the buttons functions, correct?

Inviato Sat 06 Jan 07 @ 11:48 pm
;)

Inviato Sun 07 Jan 07 @ 12:49 am
@djdad
the notice is available in the manual(pdf) ....it's important to understand what mapper do read it so well!! if you have some question it' s not a problem for me to ask!!!
i repeat that:
the fine pitch function is available starting from 1 release of my mapper....
When i decided to assign the function of the keys...the decision was maked consider my 20 years experience and other virtual dj that works a lot in live....
And i repeat that in the FUTURE it's in my planning to make a mapper like you are saing!!!
in this time if you want others functions please leave your comments in the plug-in forum..
thank you...see you soon:)

Inviato Sun 07 Jan 07 @ 1:18 am
djdad wrote :
Yes it's true i did not notice that, but still the user can not change the buttons functions, correct?

It would be great that bcd mapper worked in the same way than hercules mk2 or xp10 , with those mappers you can configure the functions with all the buttons and values as you want.

Inviato Sun 07 Jan 07 @ 7:05 pm
How about an alternative solution to this problem ?

OK, I understand what jpboggis is saying about there only being 128 steps on the pitch slider of the BCD - the maths behind this is simple:
128 steps = 64 steps to handle the 0 to -8% range, and 64 steps to handle 0 to +8% range
8% divided by the 64 steps = 8/64 = 0.125
Therefore, each step of the slider represents 0.125% pitch change

I know that I cannot increase the number of steps of the pitch slider, but can I decrease the pitch range that VDJ is managing ?
I know that we can change the pitch range in the config screens - we can choose either 8% (which is what I currently have), 12% (I think), and one other that I cant remember.

If we reverse the maths, I want to acheive 0.1% pitch changes:
0.1 = pitch range / steps
0.1 = pitch range / 64
0.1 * 64 = pitch range
0.1 * 64 = 6.4

Therefore, if I could set the pitch range in VDJ to +-6%, I would be happy.
I know that this would give me a limited pitch compared to a pro cd deck, but I would have the acuracy which is what I'm really after.

Is there an ini file or xml file, or some other config file which I can hack to give me a 6% range ?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for a lively and informative discussion :-)

JD

Inviato Mon 08 Jan 07 @ 2:46 pm
Currently you can only choose from 8%, 12% or 34% pitch ranges from the options in VDJ.

An update to VDJ itself would be required to allow a 6% range (And possibly other ranges too, such as 10%, etc.)

Inviato Mon 08 Jan 07 @ 4:08 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)