Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Using Axis 8 and 9 like MIDI controler

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Is possible use Numark Axis 8 like midi controler? There is MIDI in and out, so it can be possible. Does anybody test it? There are many usefull buttons and big wheel.

Inviato Fri 19 Jan 07 @ 12:59 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
if it has a midi out yes you can mapp funtions

you will need a midi to usb adaptor

Inviato Fri 19 Jan 07 @ 1:46 pm
Although these players have MIDI IN/OUT, they cannot be used for controlling VDJ. The CD player itself can be controlled with a MIDI controller (E.g: Keyboard), but it cannot act as a MIDI controller itself (It doesn't send MIDI commands when buttons are pressed, etc.) The MIDI OUT is used to link two players together for the interlock function (A beatlock-type function using the BPM of the song.)

NOTE: You may need to upgrade the firmware of the player to use any of the MIDI functionality (See http://www.numark.com/updates/AXISupdates.html)

However, you CAN use the Axis 8 or 9 with timecode CD's to control VDJ, which works very well. You will be able to use the scratch wheel, cue/pause/play/pitch and the two sets of hot loops.

The built in effects will not work (With the exception of scratch and reverse) and master tempo/key lock built into the player cannot be used (Use the keylock in VDJ instead.)

Inviato Fri 19 Jan 07 @ 7:53 pm
Are you shure about it? I know, that i can use timecode CD, but it isn´t so good like use MIDI in this case.... when Axis 8 will be midi controler, i can use any of CD button with VDJ. Using TC-CD is not so stable like using controler and there is many other problems (looping is not perfect ets.)

In original manual of Axis 8 is just information, that midi out is midi output for midi instruction. Nothing else... on Numark side isn´t anything about MIDI.

Are you skilled with Axis 8? Coz there is another output for second CD player (small mono jack ... similar like for fader start). I don´t know why Numark gave Midi OUT to Axis 8 for interlock. About interlock isn´t nothing in manual.

In CDX is same situation?

Thank U realy much... I can´t buy usb midi just for test.

Inviato Tue 30 Jan 07 @ 5:50 pm
Miky_lbc wrote :
Are you shure about it? I know, that i can use timecode CD, but it isn´t so good like use MIDI in this case.... when Axis 8 will be midi controler, i can use any of CD button with VDJ. Using TC-CD is not so stable like using controler and there is many other problems (looping is not perfect ets.)

I've not tried the latest firmware, but this was the case when I last tried. I originally had the same idea when I first started using VDJ, but quickly discovered this wasn't possible. Since then I moved on to XP10's and then the DAC-3, both of which are USB controllers natively supported by VDJ.

I found that timecode CD worked well with these units even in VDJ 3.x. The timecode in the latest versions of VDJ is superior to VDJ 3.x and works even better. If you are having problems, you may need to update the firmware in your players to the latest version (http://www.numark.com -> Support -> Software Updates -> Axis8/Axis9/CDN90)

Make sure you turn off master tempo/keylock on the CD players and do not use any of the built-in effects (Apart from scratch and reverse) - These will interfere with the timecode signal and stop it working correctly.

Also, make sure you use an ASIO soundcard and set the buffer size as small/fast as you can (Set buffer to Auto in VDJ's Performance tab.)

Quote :
In original manual of Axis 8 is just information, that midi out is midi output for midi instruction. Nothing else... on Numark side isn´t anything about MIDI.

The Axis 8 had no MIDI support when I first bought mine and was probably still under development. They may have also originally had plans for MIDI output too. Technically it should be possible because the firmware in the players can be upgraded. However, I doubt they will add this feature now that they are releasing USB/MIDI controllers specifically designed for controlling DJ software.

Quote :
Are you skilled with Axis 8? Coz there is another output for second CD player (small mono jack ... similar like for fader start). I don´t know why Numark gave Midi OUT to Axis 8 for interlock. About interlock isn´t nothing in manual.

Yes, I own these players. Besides the MIDI, the players have fader start inputs and a relay link (Starts one player automatically when the other finishes.)

I've never used the interlock feature, but from what I've read, it's a bit like a basic version of beatlock in VDJ.

I own a MIDI interface and have tried hooking up the CD player to this to use as a MIDI controller, but it sends no MIDI commands, except for what looks like a sync pulse (Used for the interlock feature and also for the players to negotiate which will be master and slave.)

I haven't updated the firmware in the players for a while now (I mainly use DAC-3 now, which is a native supported USB controller), but looking on the Numark site, it doesn't look like there's been any major changes to the firmware since I've last updated.

Quote :
In CDX is same situation?

Not sure - You would need to check the manual, but I expect these are CD players only, possibly with MIDI input/syncronisation similar to the Axis 8/9.

iCDX is a very different story - These will work as native controllers of VDJ, standard CD players, or USB media players.

Inviato Tue 30 Jan 07 @ 7:47 pm
socrossPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I've tried hooking up a CDX to use as a MIDI controller, and it doesn't work. It just sends a midi pulse, but no midi commands. Your best bet is the ICDX, although its scratch capabilities when used as a midi controller have been called into question.

Inviato Tue 30 Jan 07 @ 9:38 pm
Thank U realy much...

I´m afraid that newest firmware can´t change anything (on Numark side isn ´t information about new MIDI function with new firmware).

Thank for your time...

Inviato Wed 31 Jan 07 @ 12:38 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)