Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: House "sub genres"

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003

If there is any house dj's here, how is that you organise your music?,

There are sooo many sub genres.., need less to list them all here, but there are many (deep, proggresive etc),

which of these genres do you guys seperate?, and how important do you consider seperating these styles of house music?

At the moment i can understand the reason for seperating:
House
pop house
progressive house
Latin house
Hard house
..., and maybe disco house...

can you please list a few song examples of each style too please :)

thanks...
( i do have a great unerstanding of house but now it comes to sperating these styles i'm finding it difficult because i never subjected my music to any particular style of house, i just seperated hard house because of the complete sound and tempo difference.)

Inviato Fri 20 Aug 04 @ 12:40 am
I wouldn't separate the sub genres of house into different folders. I like the blending sound of different sub genres. It's innovating and interesting to mix sub genres together.
Eg: I mix deep, progressive, disco, tech- and funky house in one set.
That doesn't mean that I always play all sub genres during a set but it shows that it's possible to create an all-round 'house' feeling.
This is how I like to mix and this method gives me my own "dj style".
As you know, there are too many dj's out there! Especially when you look at all the DJ's who limit themself at one specific sub genre, eg tech-house. When I go out to a club, I'm expecting to hear creativity and that's not going to happen when you limit yourself in any way.
Some DJ's are mixing different sub genres in a creative way since a long time and now they are getting noticed more and more!
Well, that's how I see it. Let me know how you think about it

If I had to seperate my files into different folders:
Chill (bit like lounge, not to many people, more background)
Medium (party is going on ...)
Hard (floorfillers, tracks to make them go wild, ...)
Don't mind the 'folder names' ;o)

Examples of those sub genres, well that's also a tricky one for me. The best way to discover the different sub genres is to visit an online vinyl shop!
Like this awesome one: http://www.decks-records.com/
There you will find a house section with all different sub genres. Pick a track, listen to it, read what sub genre it belongs to and try to remember the sound. After a while you'll know what you are looking for.
For the moment I'm really into Funky, French, Filter, Disco House. ;o)

Inviato Sat 21 Aug 04 @ 11:33 am
"....I like the blending sound of different sub genres. It's innovating and interesting to mix sub genres together..."

totaly agree ;) its ALOT more interesting to hear a dj that mix styles.... change moods, move the dancefloor...

thats the way i play too ;)

Inviato Sat 21 Aug 04 @ 1:14 pm
thanks for your replies..

And after a bit of research it seems that these many many sub genres are merely used to descripe a track...

i'm sure you could have a successful system of house music that breaks it up a little without the stuff being too different in each folder...

a house track is best described by saying - deep, latin, vocal..., for example, but the of course that track would be better to keep in just one folder...

So again people how do you organise your house music?, or do you get all specific and have 20 sub genre folders?...hehe

Inviato Sun 22 Aug 04 @ 2:31 pm
wyworgPRO InfinityMember since 2003
funky house
deep house
happy house
techno house.... etc.. :)

Inviato Sun 22 Aug 04 @ 8:56 pm
arjunaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I've just readed an article on the goa trance, and the writer said that all of the various distinctions (the example was "goa trance" vs "psychedelic trance" and other "academic" distinctions) are made - generally by english djs, "wich have to put a label on anything" he said :) - on very little (and sometime contradictory) definitions; so I'm with you when you say that "these many many sub genres are merely used to descripe a track"...

I organise my house music like the Hed Kandi's compilations (http://www.hedkandi.com/) there are in total about 6 major subgeneres.

I tend to organise music than by years, that means for ex. house, eurodance, techno of '90-'95 and '96-'00. Finally inside every sub-group i look for bpm ;).

Ciao!! :)

Inviato Sun 22 Aug 04 @ 11:58 pm
Yes :),

I tend to do the same, and collect the head kandi & MaW collections..

many of the "sub sub" genres that many mention aren't actually credible enough to be given a new genre...

there are probably few, and their is a slight conundrum when it comes to the anthem, because they are laid out differently, the hook comes in early and present to the end, unlike most house and trance.., where it's used more effectively for breaks, builds, and all....

If you try to have all the sub genres ever listed then you'll struggle, that's the way i see it :)

this is the way i'm going to try it:
1)Deep, Soulful House (warm-up)
2)Disco House
3)Funky House
4)Latin House - sub genres too
5)Tech-House
7)Hard House
8)Anthemic House

p.s the headkandi system is very nice, although they don't as far as i know do all styles of house,

Inviato Tue 31 Aug 04 @ 12:04 pm

thinking about it gnoedel's idea is a very safe and a good one, as with sub genres you'll never be right..

There will always be someone who can say "actually m8 i would say it's deep house", for example...

So inside house it could be nice to just see different moods and times of the evening, each folder for a different purpose....

and cross genre mixing is good, it takes the listeners on a journey accross house music.., rather than punish the people their who don't like "funky house" for example...

and each of those mood folders could have brackets of style they betray too...

This is the way i'm leaning towards now..

p.s happy for moe people to share their ideas here :), all is interesting ;)

Inviato Thu 02 Sep 04 @ 6:52 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)