Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: 21st party - Lights or Not?

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

radiofcPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Just got asked about doing a 21st party and I am interested in doing it. I don't have a set of disco lights (personally I think they are a little cheesy and consider the music to be most important aspect) but can people on here share their experiences.... Thanks.

Inviato Fri 16 Feb 07 @ 12:44 pm
I supply a light show to ALL my gigs. weddings, birthday parties. the DJ scene has changed drasticly in the years. first we only needed music. then lights came out and we needed to give the crowd a decent or wicked light show as well as music. and now we're starting to get into video mixing wich includes all the above with videos.

I'd supply a lighting show even if its a basic one (3 semi intelligent lighting (just lights moving to the music automaticly or strobe) with a fog machine) you don't need to go all out but at least to give a good show.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Inviato Sat 17 Feb 07 @ 4:24 am
Cheers for that.

Inviato Tue 20 Feb 07 @ 10:33 am
Just my belated 2C. I think most people expect a mobile rig to have some lights. Maybe they might be cheesy, but people like a sprinkling of cheese at most events.

If you want to make money as a mobile you've just got to buy some lights.

A

Inviato Tue 20 Feb 07 @ 10:52 am
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Agreed! Even cheesy lights are better than no lights.... (see blog!) If you dont have any lights whatsoever, it'll probably be too dark in the room to turn the house lights off, in which case you're left with a room that's too bright, which can be a real atmosphere killer...

Inviato Wed 21 Feb 07 @ 6:11 pm
djsherz wrote :
Agreed! Even cheesy lights are better than no lights.... (see blog!) If you dont have any lights whatsoever, it'll probably be too dark in the room to turn the house lights off, in which case you're left with a room that's too bright, which can be a real atmosphere killer...

I see where you're coming from guys and will invest. Must check the blog.

My aim is to play some club appropriate to my music but will have to do some mobile gigs in the meantime so need to get them I guess.

Inviato Thu 22 Feb 07 @ 1:23 pm

Inviato Mon 26 Feb 07 @ 3:18 pm
DJ ELPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I have 3 chauvet lights, myself: Oceana, Color Bank and Mini Line Dancer. I was told recently the myriad of problems a strobe and fog machine might cause, so I'd consider not getting those. Many around here recommend a hazer instead of a fog machine, so look into that. One thing that I'd like to see, here or elsewhere, is a nice in-depth tutorial on lights. I, especially, would love to know more about DMX and other type of controllers. I use a switch bank to just turn the lights on and off, for now.

Inviato Tue 13 Mar 07 @ 5:03 am
...after discussing lights with a local sound equipment shop I decided to hire a mushroom light from him for my 2 gigs this week.. the gig on sat went fine and I have another tomorrow. I decided to avoid the fog machine altogether in case it would set off the smoke sensors and/or annoy punters...

Inviato Wed 14 Mar 07 @ 6:34 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Yeah always best to check with the venue before plugging the smoke machine in! Friend of mine managed to evacuate an entire hotel at 2 in the morning doing that...

He didn't get booked there again. ;-)

Inviato Thu 15 Mar 07 @ 5:05 pm
djsherz wrote :
Yeah always best to check with the venue before plugging the smoke machine in! Friend of mine managed to evacuate an entire hotel at 2 in the morning doing that...

He didn't get booked there again. ;-)

LMAO

Inviato Thu 15 Mar 07 @ 5:21 pm
Here's my point of view:
- one freakin big discoball (make sure you can suspend it strongly)
- 4 spots - shines from 4 corners on the discoball
- one Globo of choice
- the old classic red-green-yello sound-steered light.

I started buying second hand material.
Try to find light things from the 70's and 80's era as they tend to be unbreakable.
My experience with those brand new DMX controlled stuff is: they tend to be
made of cheap plastic or you pay ridiculous prices.

Hope my advice helps

Inviato Wed 11 Apr 07 @ 12:24 am
Thanks for the advice IronLunatic. I am with you on the secondhand front. With so many other things to buy as a mobile DJ - this is one area you can (hopefully) get a bargain or two as used items.

What do you think of these?

Lytequest Illuminator 4 (powerful twister style light)

Abstract Twister II

I have been offered them second hand at the following prices: 120 euros for the illuminator 4 and 100 euros for the abstract II.

He has also offered a stand for 50 euro or the whole lot for 250. Reckon I will get the whole lot for 200 if I bring the Johnny Cash...

Are they any good and do you think those prices are correct if condition is good?

Inviato Fri 20 Apr 07 @ 5:41 pm
Hi Radiofc,

It's difficult to say. It depends on the country you live in.
I suppose for instance that Germany, France and UK might for instance be slightly more expensive than Belgium (where I live).

When I started up I did 3 different stores and checked 2 hire centers prior to making any buy.
It got me a pretty good idea of local prices of new and sometimes old material.

Checking a rent center is a good investment for the future. It gives you an idea for how much you could rent your stuff on times when you got spare on money and need to lay low on the dj for a while (like when you got an ear infection for instance or the holidays).

I would go for a second hand stuff with prices approximative at 30-60% of the value of a brand new system. Then I check out the material at the store or seller's place. For lights, I ask the vendor to switch it on so I can see it. Besides that I locate where you need to unscrew the light system for bulb replacement.

Just as an example of why it is important to check out different stores:
I bougth one stand, brand new for 17,00 euro's over here. It wasn't the lightest stuff, but i have it now for 5 years and I never got problems with.

Also:
Here in belgium the sound and light business (for the sellers) is difficult.
Most of the DJ's are low on money (as buying music is expensive, especially if you buy vinyl). On the other hand you have this brand new generation of young dj's working with mp3's from wich most are downloading their stuff for free or copying from friends, library etc.) Those younger people tend to get more money for material. So a lot of shopkeepers tend to get dollarsigns when young people enter the store and tend to rip you slightly off by talking about 'best quality' 'lifetime bla bla' and then proposing slightly expensive prices minus for instance 10%. Then a week later, checking another store you find the same stuff at 20% of the first price you heard.

So be informed and check another three resellers prior to going for the proposition you made here.

Let me know how it worked out,
Ironlunatic

Inviato Tue 24 Apr 07 @ 9:52 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)