Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: is it possible to start DJing just with MP3 files ??

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

frank79Home userMember since 2008
Hi DJs!

I would appreciate if you could give me some advice.

My idea is to start DJing just with the MP3 files I have already on my laptop (legally dowloaded).
Can I do this ?

If so, which software do I need to install on my laptop and/or which equipment should I buy?

Thanks in advance.

Inviato Sat 07 Jun 08 @ 5:46 pm
khr0nicHome userMember since 2005
Yes you can.

Make things easier, you may want to purchase a Numark Total Control. Its just like a controller to a video game, only its made primarily for Virtual DJ (and some other DJ'ing software, but works extremely well with Virtual DJ) and other software. It already comes with some software that is similar to Virtual DJ, but not better (so you will want to purchase Virtual DJ). Also you need 1 free USB plug, and about <=10MB of space.

To make things even more easier, you may want to purchase some turntables along with the Virtual DJ time coded vinyls and Numark Total Control.

(Optional - To use headphones in a production environment, you would want to purchase a Numark Dj|iO. Check for Virtual DJ hardware page for more information. => http://www.virtualdj.com/products/hardware.html <=)

So heres the rundown;

+ Virtual DJ 5 (software)
+ Numark Total Control (hardware)
+ Turntables [doesn't matter what brand] (hardware)
- Virtual DJ Time coded vinyls.
+ Headphones / Microphone
- Numark Dj|iO

(This is my setup, but I don't use the turntables unless the genre of music makes it critical for me to use them to scratch, but all and all, I don't scratch too much. So what do I use to scratch then? My high precision mouse. When I DJ people are like, how are you doing that without a turntable. I just tell them, its virtual. They stand around for a second at the DJ booth, and are amazed at how well I utilize my mouse.)

Hey I hope this helps.

Inviato Sun 08 Jun 08 @ 3:15 pm
Opps, forgot to mention, the Soundcard, and various types of audio jacks...

Inviato Sun 08 Jun 08 @ 3:48 pm
Hi Khronic!

Thanks a lot for your reply.

The Numark Total control seems quite interesting but the problem is that I dont'have any Sound card and audio jacks.

On a website I have seen a cheap digital mixer ( NUMARK DXM01 - USB) which I should be able to connect to my laptop without buying any other hardware. Is that correct?

Should I buy a NUMARK DXM01 - USB, which software should I need to install on my laptop?

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards

Inviato Sun 08 Jun 08 @ 5:45 pm
You have no sound card? Lmao, thats a bit of a problem.

And you say you're using a laptop?
You need a sound card of some sort, unless somebody knows another method around that...

This is how I vision it;

[LAPTOP]->[NO SOUNDCARD]-> <-(No audio jack?) <--(USB CONNECTED)[NUMARK DXM01] --> [SPEAKER1]_[SPEAKER2]

Although its connected though USB on the computer, still, theres no type of audio connection from computer to mixer to ?...
I don't think you can stream audio though a USB cable.

I was also trying to see what the NUMARK DXM01 looked like in the back and the ports in the back, I couldn't find a picture.
Until I see a picture of the cables in the back of it, I can't do anything. I'll try to find one.

Inviato Sun 08 Jun 08 @ 6:53 pm
Sorry Khronic.

In my previous post, I meant that I don't have any professional sound card, but actually I have a sound card in my laptop.
In fact, I am able to listen music from my laptop (both with headphones or external speakers).

The thing is that, for what I have understood, with Numark Total Control I need to buy an additional sound card and additional plugs.

Is that correct?

Best regards

Inviato Mon 09 Jun 08 @ 3:22 am
No, you don't need any additional plugs or hardware (only one USB port available) to run the Numark Total Control. Like I said, its like a controller to a video game, only you use it on the computer and its for Virtual DJ (or any other compatible software.)

Then you would need to configure Virtual DJ (or any other VDJ compatible software) to use the Numark Total Control (sort of like when you press the PS button on the PS3 controller to let the PS3 know theres a controller present).

I removed a lot from my table so I could show you my setup;
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z91/officialrap/DSC00931-1.jpg

As you can see theres the Numark and a computer. I didn't open up any VDJ software, but I'm just showing you how easy it is.

Also,
Take a look at the back of the Numark DXM01 -> http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z91/officialrap/71cc4243.jpg

You'd need two USB ports.

Then you'd need to plug in both USB plugs to your laptop.
Then you would need to configure Virtual DJ (or any other VDJ compatible software).
Then thats it you're done!

(And then theres the fact that if you actually get turntables, then you'd need a little bit more configuration.)

Inviato Mon 09 Jun 08 @ 10:03 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

Why don't you look at the Hercules mk2 or even better the new Hercules RMX, both are controllers and have soundcard built in, They both connect to your PC or laptop via USB, then all you need is a RCA cable from the console to connect to a Amp.

Also with these 2 console, you will get a free copy of the home version of VirtualDJ, it's limited, but it gets you mixing

Inviato Mon 09 Jun 08 @ 11:52 am
Thanks a lot guys!

I will think about Hercules controllers as well. They seem interesting

Inviato Mon 09 Jun 08 @ 12:17 pm
No problem.

Inviato Tue 10 Jun 08 @ 10:12 pm
jimmy b wrote :

Why don't you look at the Hercules mk2 or even better the new Hercules RMX, both are controllers and have soundcard built in, They both connect to your PC or laptop via USB, then all you need is a RCA cable from the console to connect to a Amp.

Also with these 2 console, you will get a free copy of the home version of VirtualDJ, it's limited, but it gets you mixing

thats da best way to go ...it will get u thryu the basics of mixing and stuff and then when u are ready then u can move on to more expensive stuff and vdj pro..keeep on practicing though

Inviato Mon 16 Jun 08 @ 12:57 pm
wmilesnHome userMember since 2011
Spinning your own music takes time, dedication, and a little bit of help from someone who's learned the ropes. Sometimes it's hard to find a clear explanation of everything you need, all in one place, so this is my best shot...Enjoy.

The 8 DJ Tools that I Find Most Useful:
https://www.brilliant.li/p/70a9c2f1

Inviato Mon 16 May 11 @ 6:32 pm
AircoolPRO InfinityMember since 2011
I started with my MP3 collection, a Mixtrack Pro (built in soundcard) and the 2.1 speakers that I use for my PC. With the full version of VDJ, there's not really anything else I need.

After a few weeks of practice, I'm ready to start doing friends parties as soon as I pick up a pair of powered monitors.

I spent a week or so with the free version of VDJ before buying the Mixtrack Pro, just to make sure I was interested enough to justify my spending (plus a week without a hardware controller game me time to pick up some skills and get to know VDJ better) on the full version of VDJ and the Mixtrack.

I play for several hours every day now, sometimes whole mornings/afternoons/evenings if I have the time. I don't count it as practice because I enjoy my music (and now mixing it) so much.

It's never been easier and cheaper to get into DJ'ing now that there's cheap controllers and MP3's are ubiquitous.

Inviato Tue 17 May 11 @ 8:08 am
hey all. i need some help. im nathan, 16. all i have is virtual dj free download on my laptop, have a mic, headphones, and thats all really. im startingg out. but eventually i want to dj for a living, at weddings, parties, clubs etc. can anyone guide me. what equiptment do i need to buy? speakers? amps? how do i get the sound from my laptop through a pair of speakers ?? and do i need to buy anymore equiptment to dj? or can i use virtual dj software and mp3 s?? please helpp! cheers.

Inviato Thu 06 Oct 11 @ 7:35 pm
So I need the Numark to start properly mixing. I plan on gettin some Pioneer CDJs. But I've heard they aren't compatible with Virtual DJ or have I heard wrong???

Inviato Sat 08 Oct 11 @ 8:25 pm
It's always best to start small
why not get a wireless computer keyboard, and use as a wirless midi controller, and mix from cue points

Inviato Mon 17 Oct 11 @ 4:04 pm
Hi Noob Here, so im have being using Virtual DJ for sometime already, im not good but im still trying to figure it out, and using only my laptop for it, and having to waveride since i dont know other ways to do so, and for that i was wondering if mp3s are really that good to DJ, since most of my files have different KB's im still trying to figure out how to get the best sound with a limited basic laptop, or is someone knows a way to get my mp3s to a higher kb, ffrom 96 to 256 minimum, why this? well I want to try to have all songs sound as good as the last one played so there is no distortion of sound and it doesnt sound like im playing it out of a cassette tape. XD so yeah , i'll hope to hear some good advices and techniques from the rest of the community so i can learn more and have my neighbors stop yelling at me for making noise instead of awesome mixes.

Mr. Beaner. _\,,/

Inviato Tue 18 Oct 11 @ 1:54 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)