Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: BEAT MATCHING - Page: 2

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

dj ziiHome userMember since 2009
yeah big ups to those using VDJ the, VDJ is the BOMB.

Inviato Thu 05 Mar 09 @ 8:38 am
I think to really learn to beat match is to do it the right way!!! 2TT and mixer with some vinals like most old DJ's (like me :) ) have done!! No read out's No numbers just your feel for the music and your ability to listen. That to me this is what seperates the good from the great. Also I think why most tradional DJ's don't like VDJ?? IMO Not to say that VDJ is BAD!! I love this program need to save up for pro though!!! But When its just you and the music a good DJ will feel the music and let flow through him!! ...LOL ok master yoda!! :) but seriously if you truly want to learn how to beat match do it the right way!! Like I said I love VDJ but I still mix my wax every now and then!! :)

Inviato Fri 06 Mar 09 @ 12:36 pm
Does anyone have the problem with your forward and back beat skip +1 and -1 when i use it it jumps to the beginning of the song then to the middle then back to the beginning but it stop playing when i press the buttons whats wrong with the settings?

Inviato Mon 16 Mar 09 @ 9:00 pm
Allways use sync
If you have a hardware-controller for VDJ use beatlock.
BPM must be at same hight.

Inviato Wed 25 Mar 09 @ 2:28 am
ALWAYS SYNC YOUR MUSIC

How do you set it for beat matching?

Inviato Fri 17 Apr 09 @ 1:49 am
hi,my first time posting.were can you find or download good oldschool and newschool music (hip hop,disco,dance)

Inviato Sat 18 Apr 09 @ 2:13 pm
so you can still BEAT MATCH two songs even though one song has 88bpm and the other song is 125bpm...how'd you do that with out using the sync button and not sounding like a weird one song on top of the other....

Inviato Sat 25 Apr 09 @ 2:34 pm

Inviato Sun 26 Apr 09 @ 2:33 am
dj3b wrote :
Its not just SYNCing your music. Some wierd tempos still don't match well even WITH SYNC enabled. You still have to have _some_ skill to beatmatch :)

this is very true, you get alot of that when mixing r&b tracks

Inviato Sun 26 Apr 09 @ 4:31 pm
Djmadman73 wrote :
I think to really learn to beat match is to do it the right way!!! 2TT and mixer with some vinals like most old DJ's (like me :) ) have done!! No read out's No numbers just your feel for the music and your ability to listen. That to me this is what seperates the good from the great. Also I think why most tradional DJ's don't like VDJ?? IMO Not to say that VDJ is BAD!! I love this program need to save up for pro though!!! But When its just you and the music a good DJ will feel the music and let flow through him!! ...LOL ok master yoda!! :) but seriously if you truly want to learn how to beat match do it the right way!! Like I said I love VDJ but I still mix my wax every now and then!! :)

man, u took the words right out of my mouth.

to know where you're going, you have to know where you've been. all about dj history.

You have to feel the track beneath your fingertips, feel the beat in your chest, count in your head and let it drop!!

Inviato Sun 26 Apr 09 @ 4:37 pm
I just have one question about Numark CUE and the DMC 2, I am a DJ, and I know how to beat match, but on the DMC 2 is it that easy to line up the beats like the CDN 90 and 95 was? Is that what the automix feature does on the DMC 2? Can someone explain?

Inviato Tue 12 May 09 @ 1:19 am
good

Inviato Thu 21 May 09 @ 3:28 pm
I am learning to beatmatch from my laptop (don't have TT or CDJ), just by playing my mouse up and down at the pitch bar at my laptop screen. But I find it is very hard to get the precise beat as the mouse movement is extremely sensitive. Just a slight movement on the mouse, the pitch has changed quite a lot.

Any advice?

I'll try to do it from my Hercules MKII later if this one doesn't work out.

Inviato Wed 17 Jun 09 @ 4:09 am
I'm thinking of making a beat mixing tutorial. Beat Mixing is a science. Once the fundamentals are learned, beat mixing will become very easy to do. Everyone should be able to beat mix by ear. Your ears will never let you down. You can’t learn to beat mix by ear while looking at a video. You must train your ears and hands to sync the beats. However, VDJ does make beat mixing easier.

OO

AMEN, i just started using vdj, ive been djing for a decade, learn by ear and to do it manually otherwise your just equing and damn near anyone can do that, the only reason i started using vdj is cuz my cd decks need new lasers, but now that i do i think i may keep it around... awesome piece of software, but even if my pc crashed i always have my tried and trusted 1200's

static

Inviato Mon 06 Jul 09 @ 9:21 pm
djstaticburn wrote :
Beat Mixing is a science.

I would Agree!!

After reading some of the other post on here I still see people asking how to beat match in VDJ or just beat match....

I know some of you are either just starting out or don't have the funds for SLMK 1200 TT's or CDJ's I know I didn't....

But if your going to be a DJ and I mean a real DJ and respected your going to need to look like one! Sorry thats just the way it is...

Now if your a DJ then you know other DJ's ask them to let you practice? I did when I was 12 and mind you that is hard to let a 12yr old touch your 1k worth of equiptment!!! and that was 86!!! Yes SLMK1 1200 still costed 350 - 400 each back then!!!

Hell I had a pair of SLBD1's for my first gig the summer of 86!!! yes belt driven...

SO you want to learn to beat mix? That is the only way?? I can garentee you if you ever DJ at a REAL club there going to either have TT's or CDJ's and then what? yeah you will have your laptop but they are going to want you to hook up to what they have? If you use just your laptop and mind you at a small gig I just use my laptop and my RMX its cool but at a club not cool and you will not get the respect you deserve. Like I said before I love VDJ best out there IMO but as I said and has been stated before VDJ / Sync button are all just tools!!
DJ'ing comes from within that is why I say let the music flow through you and feel your crowd then use the tools infront of you to express your feelings through the music you play!!!!

Good luck.....

Inviato Fri 10 Jul 09 @ 11:28 am
craighPRO InfinityMember since 2008
I totally agree with Madman and Staticburn and would recommend learning on analogue hardware before using VDJ.
I have been DJing for about 4 years. I started when computer software not much better then Itunes then bought the cheapest second hand turntables I could get and learnt to beatmatch. I have now upgraded to Technics TTs and Numark Virtual Vinyl / VDJ and have noticed my mixing by ear skills have rather lapsed. I use the VDJ readout extensively and still check by ear.
I would recommend anyone starting out get a second hand pair of Direct drive turntables (not necessarily Technics but well worth it if you can afford them) and a mixer then buy some real (second hand) vinyls and practice, practice, practice. Try to get music with a fairly constant beat like dance music (pop, house, etc) as long as you can dance to it, you should be able to beatmatch it. Get 2 copies of a track and learn to sync a song to itself first then move onto mixing different songs. Do a search on Youtube for "DJ Tutor".
I think you get the best feel for mixing from using turntables or CD players with platters (like the Pioneer CDJ). Players with jog wheels are also good but I think a platter (Turntable or CD player) gives a better feel for what your doing. I'm not going to argue this any further. Choice of player is largely down to personal preference.
If you have and use a VDJ hardware controller / MIDI controller put a piece of masking tape across the waveform readout of VDJ and over the BPM readouts. If you have BPM readouts on your controllers or mixer, put tape over them too then follow the instructions in the stickys at the top of this forum or from DJ Tutor on Youtube.
Above all, practice until you can sync songs so that they sound like they do when you hit sync on VDJ. Then you will be able to work out when VDJ is not reading BPM correctly and your mixes will sound a lot more professional.

Good luck and have fun.

Inviato Sat 18 Jul 09 @ 3:41 am
Ok I have an issue. When I am trying to mix to song or beat match them it tends to automaticall sync the song on the wrong beat. Is there any want to set it to manual or something?

Inviato Fri 19 Feb 10 @ 2:05 pm
Hello Any DJ here looking to sell or give out a old mixer ? maybe u upgraded and u wanna sell ur old stuffs.. i just need a mixer to move ahead... my YH swissbobo pm me if you have any turntable mixer any hardware for DJ i am seriously interested. thank you.

Inviato Sun 28 Feb 10 @ 12:48 pm
Great advice from all especially in practicing on TT's.

Another important aspect is knowing the music. KNOW YOUR MUSIC inside and out.

My music is always in the back of my mind and when I hear something new I'll run it in my mind against what I already know.

Some music is great back to back, some have great breaks in the middle of the song that you can mix in and out of and others blend perfectly.

You'll learn to apply a variety of styles to get what you want depending on the songs you play.

Also look for similarities in songs that match other songs.

Sometimes I like back masking a vocal clip from a song that I'm going to play a few songs out to kinda tease a crowd before I finally get to it.

Sometimes I'll lead out of a break to the next song then at it's break will lead back to the song I started with.

With some songs I also like making the transition so smooth that people aren't even aware of the song I'm leading into until the vocals start BUT that comes from knowing all my music and what works and doesn't work and how similar the songs are to each other. It is one among many styles I use. But it only works with some music and not necessarily with all songs.

Sometimes I'll use a combination of styles between two songs.

Inviato Sun 28 Feb 10 @ 7:59 pm
craighPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Helpdesk09;
You can drag a track backwards and forwards on the screen where you see the beats going past but it is quite difficult to beatmatch this way. I would recommend that you buy an external controller (turntables and a soundcard, cdj400s, an EKS Otus or XP5s, or one of the cheaper MIDI controllers out there). I own a Numark Virtual Vinyl soundcard which comes with timecoded vinyls and a copy of VDJ (Virtual Vinyl - Virtual DJ under the Numark brand), this is a good option if you already own turntables. I understand that some of the Hercules MIDI controllers also come with a VDJ license.
If you have a controller, you can beatmatch by air if VDJ gets it wrong.
If you want to know more about controllers, check the Wiki, search the forum or ask.

Inviato Mon 01 Mar 10 @ 4:07 am
98%