Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: First night out..

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Tonight VirtualDJ went out for the first time. As this was a n 'informal' session I thought I could take a chance with software unknown to me 'in the field'.

My setup is this:

Acer Aspire 1801 laptop
RME HDSP Digiface running through my Behringer DDX 3216
using ASIO drivers.

First thing I noticed was the compression, my tracks are all well prepared, clean tags, MP3gained. I turned of the autogain and limiter which made thing a bit better, but still overall sound came out somewhat distorted. I took 6dB off of the digiface output and that made it still better, but I could still hear distortion. Tried some scratches (software, using the mouse) and they sounded _REAL_ horrible.

After about half an hour I went back to djDecks, same ASIO settings and sound cleaned up and the distortion went away.. during the live set I tried the WDM drivers instead of ASIO and that was a lot better for VirtualDJ.

I _REALLY_ have to get used to the (IMO rather) crude 'recordcase'. granted each app has it's own little ways, but I took to the djDecks case much faster. It might be a lot simpler, but (at least for me) it works better. As I said before I feel the PCDJ recordcase still is the best of the pack and even that one could do with some improvement.. I do think the recordcase should show tags like BPM when they are set. I also miss a 'normal' waveform display..

Tomorrow I will take a little time to do a test between ASIO and WDM modes on the Digiface and HDSP RPM at home to see how that sounds.

In all honesty I did not buy VDJ to replace djDecks, which works fine for me, but I just like to see where the video plugin goes and when I get it to work at least I can offer this 'service' when asked. all-n-all I think once I get some stuff ironed out using VirtualDJ should be effortless when I need to use it..

Inviato Thu 12 May 05 @ 2:51 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
ASIO does need some work, I don't use it et either.

I have built groups of most played such as "best party", "best country", "slowness", "line dances" etc...
I never even look at my record case, it's search and load, search and load from the data base or from a saved playlist.
I have track/artist/time/bpm and path showing in my record case, not sure what you mean.
What do you mean by a "normal" wave form?

Can't wait to see what you come up with from your testing, particularly relating to the distortion.
Sure would be good to get the ASIO working properly.

Thanks for the input Paul.

Inviato Thu 12 May 05 @ 11:55 am
Al my tracks have their BPM tag set, but when I load tracks into the 'recordcase or make a favoutite folder they do not show up (unless the track is played). Same goes for tracktime BTW..

By normal waveform I mean just that a 'regular' representation of the tracks waveform which makes jumping to breaks or other 'known' point very easy (once you get used to it..)

Inviato Thu 12 May 05 @ 12:56 pm
You should be able to see the bpm in the rc or the waitlist as well as the player.
Are you dragging the column header around to view what you want to see OK?

VDJ doesn't store the bpm info in the tag Paul.
I trust you have analyzed all of your tracks, yes???
To overcome this, I started putting the sleeve bpm right in the track title for referrence only, Yeah - Usher 105 for instance.
The program needs to scan for it's own bpm, it won't read tagged bpm and display it, which is good for some bad for others.
The BPM engine is usually right on lately, I have found errors in sleeve counts that vdj corrected.
The files are distinguished and identified by their byte size.
I found that when VRM scans it changes the file size accordingly rendering the file "lost" with a yellow tag because the file size changed. So be carefull or you will have to rescan again.
Not sure how djdecks scans, but if the file size changes in size this will f up vdj.
It's a bit different, but it does work pretty well.
Again, all of us have made changes along the way getting used to the diffences from PCDJ.

If the wave form was longer it would be easier to see the break coming agreed.
I have just got used to knowing the song and knowing when the break is though.

Inviato Thu 12 May 05 @ 1:12 pm
The waveform is not so much to 'see' the break, but more to instantly jump to any given point in the track using the visual reference much like you would with vinyl. This a very nice feature if you do fast mixing a lot.. you could set cuepoints, but just looking at th e waveform and clicking on the spot you want to go is way faster and more intuitive (IMO)..

It's a shame about ASIO though.. I wonder how TCV performs if ASIO is not (yet) perfectly tuned.. Being used to the very thight way this works in djDecks (which works nicely with VDJ TCV as well mind you.. and in both absolute and relative mode..)

I hope to burn the TC to a CD to have a try this weekening on my technics CD turntables..

Inviato Thu 12 May 05 @ 5:57 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
There is an option to write vdj tags in the settings the means that the vdj infos will stay with the tracks now even if you move them or their file size changes. One of the many additons to vdj in 2.1

Inviato Thu 12 May 05 @ 7:20 pm
Paulheu,
about the waveform you are refereing to: You are able to zoom in and out the waveform. Place your mouse pointer on the wave form. Bu using the scroll wheel you could zoom in and out. If you zoom out, you can see the complete song on screen. Hope this is what you mean.
Ewout

Inviato Thu 12 May 05 @ 7:50 pm
IMO the waveform display as used in VJ is not very useable in the 'traditonal way' it is far from representative of the actual track.

On another not, I replaced the video card on my desktop with a newer. better one. But still no video I keep getting the 'error in video driver' fault. SoI'll keep an eye on what happens, but for now VDJ goes on the backburner. The video thingwas the main reason to get it, besides the 'play' factor I get wth a new program. My current 'weapon of choice' for DJing is more then adequate for my needs..

Inviato Fri 13 May 05 @ 9:02 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Paul,

I'm not sure what the deal is there I've got a 6600gt and it works perfectly I'm using the new drivers from nvida and the ms codec pack I have no issues with mpeg1 playback. But wmv makes vdj choke everytime. I configured it with dual view in the drivers.

Inviato Fri 13 May 05 @ 9:13 pm

Inviato Fri 13 May 05 @ 9:14 pm
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Paul-

Are you using the blue bar above the track? That's the place to click if you want to hop around the track instantly and the color of each spot of that bar corresponds to the sound level, just like the grooves of a record.

Bright color = busy/loud
Dark color = soft/simple
It's just like reading the grooves of vinyl.

Inviato Fri 13 May 05 @ 9:18 pm
The reason you get the Error in video driver message is because you have to be able to "Extend your Windows Desktop into your secondary monitor"

I don't know if all drivers implement this way... it may depend if you have Video Out hardware present, but the parameter is found in Display Properties for Windows under the Settings TAB.

Once you choose to extend the display, you can then choose the driver under TV Output in vDJ Video Setting and open video files without the error.

Inviato Fri 13 May 05 @ 9:32 pm
dj-in-norway:

I have all the latest and greatest drivers instaled believe me.. windows XP sp2 completely updated..

Bargler:

Yes, I know about the bluebar, but that is not what I mean.

digijoc-Mele

I have the card setup correctly, anything else can use the 2nd monitor. The only thing i can think of right now is that i cannot use a 2nd monitor on the card, but must use a TVset with the S-video or composite out.

Inviato Sat 14 May 05 @ 3:31 pm
Ok, i thought, just try from the beginning , set everything up again and to my surprise it works.. kinda..

I get video (using MPG1 files) but at about 10fps if that.

This is on a 2.8GHz P4 (HT), 1GB of memory, ati Radeon 9600 card which does a score of around 24000 in Aquamark. System is clean and setfor best performance..

turning hardware acceleration off make it worse, I did notice it got better when I put the 2nd display in 800x600 from 1024x768 but still it looks like about half teh normal framerate...

But at least we have video..;^)

Inviato Sat 14 May 05 @ 4:00 pm
And now let the fun begin.

I can't believe you had all that trouble.

Inviato Sat 14 May 05 @ 4:10 pm
I've been playing around with ripping video. I get the best result with DVD2SVCD (to create an intermediate file for the next step) and tmpgEnc, as expected really. I also own ImTOO DVD ripper which gives surprisingly good reults for DVD -> MPG1 conversion and is really fast. I also got the demo for #1 DVD ripper but found it to be horribly slow and the results were much worse then with ImTOO..

Still get low framerates though.. although I would expect my system to do much better. Tomorrow I'll hook up a TV to the Svideo out instead of the TFT on DVI and see if that makes any difference..

Also I cannot help but notice the soundquality on VirtualDJ is not very good. I turned off the limiter and autogain, but that does not help much..

I guess this thread is gonna be a 'work in progress for me..;^)

Inviato Sat 14 May 05 @ 11:57 pm
eh that should have been DVD2AVI, not DVD2SVCD ..

Inviato Sun 15 May 05 @ 11:42 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)