Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Sync AND Generate MIDI TimeCode...

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

VDJ should sync to MIDI timecode as well as generate it. Without this VDJ is merely a toy. If it doesn't play well with my other pro-level equipment (mainly my MC-909, Muse Tech. Receptor and Orion Plat 5.8) then I'm sorry but I'll find software that does.

I pay my Visa card off Friday of next week, unless I get a real comitment from somebody with some pull here I will plunk down my $240 with the guys over in Berlin for software that does sync and generate the universally accepted MIDI Timecode!

If I sound cross, you bet'cha I am, how many YEARS have I owned OtsJunk waiting for version 2.x with beat matching? I'm tired of wasting money on silly features like "video" mixing when real features get left off that will truely make a difference!

I already have video+fx sync'd to my MC-909 along with lights and a fog machine (see V-Link and Eridol/Roland for more details)! It's getting that damn VDJ to sync with everything else I have that is the "show stopper".

Inviato Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 8:22 am
djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
This feature would indeed be great.

I've rarely seen feedback from dev team on the new feature or bug report forum, but I know for a fact that they read them and implement requests/fixes. you just never know if/when it'll be done...

It wouldn't surprise me if this one is on the to-do list though, since I doubt it's very technically challenging (for a minimal implementation on master tempo at least), and would provide such integration possibilities in music studios.

add to this request a midi start/stop generating action, to trigger a midi instrument directly from vdj. I have this feature on my roland dj-2000 mixer and it's great.

hopefully you/we will be heard :)

Inviato Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 11:31 am
Yeah, you go, DJ Bambi! I second that and would add; three band compressor limiter (adjustable not just on/off) and a better time streching feature, VDJ mangels the hell out of the sharp transients.

It bothers me so badly I have to turn that off under the FAME tab...just cut a bass drum track/ 4 on the floor and clock it @ 140 bpm. Use VDJ to sync to 140 bpm and listen to it for 30 seconds... YUK!

Also, why a heavy bass line makes the sizzle I worked so hard to create in the track breathe is beyond me. Adjustable three band compressor/limiter please! One band does more damage than NONE!

I guess I'm sounding a little impatient... maybe I'm expecting too much from a "profession" DJ software package...

Inviato Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 2:06 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
hello did someone say vst pluings?

Inviato Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 6:43 pm
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Inviato Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 7:57 pm
Why would you want vjd so sync to someting else? Do you need light jockey or some other software to dictate the speed at which VDJ plays music? :S And in the event that your trying to sync it into a larger midi setup as some kind of production tool remember this.... Its not supposed to be one.

Wouldnt say no to full MIDI I/O XG standard compatibility, fully certified, who would? but lets face it atomix isnt native instruments. you want that, go buy that software

Inviato Sat 04 Jun 05 @ 5:12 am
personally I wouldn't need vdj to sync to something else, but I would like to sync something else to vdj (master tempo dictated by vdj), and be started/stopped by vdj (midi start/stop action). be it a light system, a roland mc beat box, an akai sampler, an external effect processor, a midi-enabled software, whatever...

Inviato Sat 04 Jun 05 @ 12:16 pm
Yes i agree but isnt it supposed to do that allready? that was what i was planning to do, sync VDJ to my coppy of Reaktor, realy cool things you can do with that. thaught it was caompatible didnt i see some midi settings in the options screen. That would suck if it cant send midi word clock instructions

Inviato Sat 04 Jun 05 @ 8:17 pm
unfortunately, the midi settings in the option screen is only to define vdj actions to be triggered by a midi device, i.e. to map a midi controller so that you can control vdj from it: you switch vdj to "learn" mode, push a button on your midi controller thus sending a midi signal from the controler to vdj, vdj informs you it received midi signal XYZ, and you tell vdj from now on when you receive midi signal XYZ perform a "play track A" action.

there's no implementation of midi sync as far as I know. there's just a network sync featute (under option, network tab) to allow to sync several instances of vdj together, on different computers on the same network).

Inviato Sun 05 Jun 05 @ 3:52 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004

Inviato Sun 05 Jun 05 @ 7:03 pm
Ok, I'm not a DJ. DJ's typically play other peoples music, I play music I composed. Where VDJ fits in this picture is clubs and raves are beginning to ask me to play longer than a hour. I would like to start doing remixes of other peoples music based on how I feel at the moment, the crowds response (if they yawn, it's out...), etc, etc...

So VDJ needs to fit both ways; master and slave (what do the BDSM peeps call that, "switchers" ;-).

I'm just not one for pushing a button to play something... I have to actually play it. It just sounds better that way. VDJ is so close to being a real-time remix tool that the final barrier is simply the ability to use the industry standard MIDI clock and maybe even MTC.

Another why to look at it if you use Acid Pro 5.x's beatmapper tool. What takes hours for less than stellar results is realtime in VDJ!

personally I'm having a rebellious fit against all the soft-synths because they are NOT real-time (ASIO helps a little). I'm going back to buying hardware in a mean way! I bet you guys that there will be a backlash to all the VST stuff and hardware will be back in vogue and the software left standing will be the VDJ's doing what computers do best and that is manipulating a few well defined parameters so near real-time that it doesn't get noticed.

OSC is cool but it isn't excepted as a standard (open source DOES NOT EQUAL standard)! Here is an example of why OSC probably will not be the standard:

http://www.midi.org/newsviews/intervw.shtml
or
http://www.coyoterd.com/netmidi.htm

Theme parks use MIDI to control their rides! theatres use MIDI for everything like curtains, lights, music and door actuators, etc.

MIDI is everywhere and MIDI over IP has been here for longer than OSC... just connect the dots.

Inviato Thu 09 Jun 05 @ 11:19 pm
I think it's funny that the only name brand supporters of OSC are Native Instruments and Virtual DJ

Inviato Thu 09 Jun 05 @ 11:38 pm

Inviato Thu 09 Jun 05 @ 11:47 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)