Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Effects related wishes and new features - Page: 1

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

In the new version or update u guys should have a team thats in charge of making effects and put them out both for mac and pc PLEEAAASEEEE and integrate the use of multiple effects like tractor :D you might say go for tractor but nop. i LUV Virtual dj!

Inviato Mon 17 Oct 11 @ 9:24 pm
Why does Atomix need to produce effects?

There are literally THOUSANDS of effects plugins out there, written both by pros (that only write effects plugins) and amateurs that offer them for free. Some of the pro plugins cost more that VDJ Pro itself!

You do realise that VDJ can use third party plugins?

Inviato Tue 18 Oct 11 @ 9:18 am
While I understand your logic, still VDJ needs to write a bunch of NEW plug-ins.
First of all most VST effects are written with DAW's in mind. Thous, they are designed to be applied on separate instruments/vocals and not an entire mix. Even when a VST plug-in is written to be applied on a whole track it's something like an exciter, loudness maximizer, compressor, e.t.c.
These plug-ins are very cool and useful but they would have to be used on the MASTER section of VDJ "mixer" something that VDJ is not capable of at the moment.
Finally besides the classic "Flanger/Phaser/Distorter/Filter/AutoPan" effects there's no other type of VST effect really useful for a DJ
Effects like "Loop & Roll" or "Bubble" are not available as VST effects (because of the reason I mentioned before)

Finally, MOST (but not all) VST plug-ins will temporarily "freeze" VDJ (or any VST host) if you scratch (or simply put play the datastream backwards)

In other words, yes you can use a "ton" of VST effects but at the end of the day you still end-up using 5 or so classical effects.

And another point of view:
The conception of a new "unique" effect on VDJ can work as a stamp.
The same way "Loop & Roll" worked as a "stamp" for Pioneer CDJ's and mixers. (This is just an example)
Creating one or two new "never heard before" effects for VirtualDj besides spicing up your mixes with something "unique" can work as a very good advertisement for the software.

PS: "Loop & Roll" is a very "easy" effect to create. The reason that nobody thought to create it as a VST effect before Pioneer put it on its products is what I said on the beginning of my post: Music creators / engineers using DAW's don't "need" this type of effects. They care more about tube amplifier simulators!!! :P
Instead of "Loop & Roll" VST programmers have created VST "slicers" which are very interesting effects to use in a DAW (especially if you map them on MIDI keyboard) but for DJ's that need to use them in real-time they are just a terrible nightmare... ;)

Inviato Tue 18 Oct 11 @ 6:04 pm
Big +1 from me

Inviato Tue 18 Oct 11 @ 6:15 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Nothing stopping you using multiple FX now...

Inviato Tue 18 Oct 11 @ 6:38 pm
SBDJ wrote :
Nothing stopping you using multiple FX now...

Scott, I admire your work and your opinions. However I believe we both know that you "CAN" run multiple effects, but it's way to impractical the way the FX department on VDJ is currently implemented.

Let me put it this way:
In order to be able to use multiple FX right you need two options:
1) Parallel Effect Processing
2) Linear Effect Processing

In parallel mode all effects are "fed" with the original sound of the track and their outputs are mixed together at the end.
In Linear mode the effects work as a chain. The original sound "feds" the first effect and it's output "feds" the second, e.t.c...

Right now VDJ works ONLY in linear mode. But even in linear mode you must be able to use some functions that VDJ lacks off:
Dry/Wet slider, and Bypass switch. I know that some effects offer these functions but it would be better if VDJ itself could provide them like any decent DAW.

I work a lot with Adobe Audition. It's effect slot implementation is something that would be ideal for VDJ:
You get 3 FX "Slots" per track that work in Parallel Mode.
Each FX "slot" can chain multiple effects in Linear Mode.

Both, FX Slots and FX Chain Elements have a "Dry/Wet" slider and a "Bypass" switch.
Also, the ability to "edit" the chains in real-time is very well implemented. You can even drag the FX to re-arrange them in real time and the sound changes instantly...

Finally, you can save each FX settings as a preset, each Chain as a preset, and each tracks "FX Rack" as Adobe calls the 3 FX slots as a preset.

All these stuff combined together provide a way too powerful FX section that would satisfy almost any user of a DJ software like VDJ.

PS:
In my previous post my point was that it would be very nice if VDJ Team could brainstorm and create a bunch of "unique" new effects.
Sure you create "new" effects if you chain up a bunch of classic effects. However there must be several "new" effects that can be implemented as single effects and give VDJ a bit or refreshment on this compartment. Not to mention that it will finally stop people whining that VDJ doesn't have good effects or how much better Traktor FX are, e.t.c....

Inviato Wed 19 Oct 11 @ 1:11 am
+100000000000000 for linear effects and everything phantom suggests, you guys should hire him for development ;-)

Inviato Wed 19 Oct 11 @ 2:31 am
I'm aware of all that, I was just stating the fact that you can use multiple FX.

Inviato Wed 19 Oct 11 @ 5:21 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Excellent approach from Phantom. I made that sticky for you guys.

Inviato Wed 19 Oct 11 @ 7:29 am
I just read the post by phantom properly, does that mean that because the effects are linear the effect slots are chained? as in the signal will pass through [slot 1 -> slot 2 -> slot 3] if it does that is exciting, but if you want paralell wouldn't that be done by activating two effects in the same slot with the dropdown tab... I have tried it heaps of times hoping for them to be chained but it never seems to be operating that way.

Inviato Wed 19 Oct 11 @ 8:29 am
I'm kinda slow so bare with me, this is what I've had happen. I'll have the Echo Doppler plugin goin and then ill hit the loop out. It sounds like the echo Doppler turns off, the loop out will do its things and shut off then all of a sudden the echo Doppler returns. What is going on there or is it something I'm doing??

Huey

Inviato Wed 19 Oct 11 @ 8:54 am
I second Phantoms Ideas with creating effects unique to VDJ and the parallel and linear effect running idea sounds very helpful as well

Cheers,
Cool Colors

Inviato Wed 19 Oct 11 @ 1:55 pm
MeowMixPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I would also give serious thought as to how you'd control the multiple effects (keeping in mind the effect sections of current controllers).
Right now we can have linear effects but the general interface (both skin and code wise) do not really make it easy.

Traktor uses effect banks allowing full simultaneous parameter control of 2 effects or partial simultaneous control of 6.

One idea that we have discussed while designing a new skin is an option to scroll/highlight effects and adjust their parameters which in theory allows you to chain and tweak as many effects as you want.

P.S. Id say the beatgrid has a been an effect usually associated with VDJ.

Inviato Thu 20 Oct 11 @ 9:50 am
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
I had a similar issue with my D82 Sonic Maximizer plugin that I bought last year, I could only activate it in the effect channel, so I was not able to route it into the output side of the chain where it should be activated.

I made the suggestion then for this capablility, and haven't been using it since because of all the issues when triggering another effect at the same time...

+++Pluses

Joey...

Inviato Fri 21 Oct 11 @ 8:26 pm
So far all this talk has been about audio effects...........let's talk about video effects ;-)

I would like to be have the video effects only applied to the deck of your choice, not the master output. Hope that makes sense.....

Huey

Inviato Fri 21 Oct 11 @ 9:54 pm
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Active deck would be the logical trigger for this effect Huey, or I'm misunderstanding you here..?

Inviato Fri 21 Oct 11 @ 11:37 pm
Yeah I think your misunderstanding me, lol! When you activate a video effect it effects the master output, you cant assign a video effect to a single deck.

So say I activate cube on deck 1, when I crossfade only deck 1's video should be in the cube while deck 2's video is not in the cube but running full screen with the cube on top of it.

Try it and you'll see. Hope that makes more sense
Huey

Inviato Fri 21 Oct 11 @ 11:53 pm
SBDJ wrote :
I'm aware of all that, I was just stating the fact that you can use multiple FX.

i know u can use multiple fxs but its not practical and what i have noticed effects change if u use a mac or a pc thats wrong, i would love as a + the use of multiple plugins and chainable plugins throw a reverb with a cut would be nice!

Inviato Thu 27 Oct 11 @ 3:45 pm
blackstormx6x wrote :
what i have noticed effects change if u use a mac or a pc thats wrong

It's not wrong at all unless you are offering to buy all plugin developers a mac.

Inviato Thu 27 Oct 11 @ 5:08 pm
SBDJ wrote :
blackstormx6x wrote :
what i have noticed effects change if u use a mac or a pc thats wrong

It's not wrong at all unless you are offering to buy all plugin developers a mac.

thats why virtualdj needs a department of fx!

Inviato Tue 01 Nov 11 @ 6:54 pm
13%