Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Timecode and Master Tempo / Keylock

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

djnutzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
So here is my problem:

I am using timecode for control with 2 Numark NDX400's and a Native Instruments Audio8. Everything works fine, sort of. The only problem I am really having is with using the platter of the NDX400 to modify the tempo of the track playing without modifying the pitch.

Yes I know what the settings are supposed to be.

On the NDX400, I am NOT using it's built in master tempo. I am fully aware of how that distorts the timecode signal and causes issues with Virtual DJ.

The NDX400 also has 4 options for the percentage of change on pitch slider as well as off. I always turn this off.

So essentially, the NDX400 is sending a clean, untweaked, unmodified signal to the computer.

In Virtual DJ, I have checked the master tempo setting in CONFIG -> Performances. I realize that if this is set to Pure Scratch, then keylock/master tempo is disabled. I have NOT used the Pure Scratch option because I want to be able to control the tempo of the track with the timecode.

The problem is when I use the platter, or the pitch bend buttons for that matter, the pitch and tempo of the track playing are both changed. It's one of those things that isn't keeping me from using this setup, after all, I remember when master tempo and computer based DJ'ing didn't exist at all. But, having the technology there to adjust the tempo without affecting pitch is a nice feature to have. I have 3 systems I have tested this with: Windows 7, Windows Vista (64), and Windows XP SP3. Same thing happens on every system. So that tells me that the computer is not a part of the problem.

Is this how it is supposed to work? Or is there a registry setting somewhere that I have missed.

And FYI, I have done several Google searches with different keywords like master tempo, keylock, and timecode with the site:virtualdj.com switch added on the search. I have read every post that the search found and still I am scratching my head.

Inviato Fri 28 Oct 11 @ 3:49 pm
sounds to me like you are using vdj's pitch with a midi controller or mouse or maybe sync to adjust the pitch... if you think about it you are probably confusing your cpu if they aren't that powerful. what you could be doing is playing your timecode at 0% but vdj is playing the track at say -6% for example. so the length of the timecode and the affect pitchbending would have on the playing track would need to get recalculated. if i were you id trade up for pio cdj-400's or ndx-800's they are midi instead of timecode, or just use the pitch fader on your cdj.

and the noob answer would be make sure master tempo is engaged in vdj..

Inviato Sun 30 Oct 11 @ 9:23 am
Interesting. I would argue that boiled down to it's simplest form, the cdj of choice when using timecode control is a non issue. The CDJ is simply a laser device that reads a CD. With a timecode signal duration of 12 minutes, I fail to see how the length of the timecode has anything to do with it when typical track length is approx 4 minutes when using smart relative for the timecode setting. I could see where this might be a factor in absolute mode tho. I am fully aware of CDJ's that have the ability to send midi signals. While swapping out my current decks for midi capable decks would solve the problem, it still wouldn't answer the questions of whether this is just normal function of the software with timecode control, or if there is a setting I have missed somewhere along the line.

I do have 2 Akai LPD8's in my setup for hot cue, looping, and assorted other functions. As to this "confusing" my CPU, care to explain your theory in further detail?

And yes, master tempo IS engaged in VDJ.

I have experimented with using the pitch fader on the NDX400 instead of using the pitch fader in the software. What I noticed was, I was able to change the tempo, but the pitch DOES change as well. However, when master tempo is ON, the pitch changes with the tempo but it does return to normal after a moment. So if I set the NDX400 to 100% pitch adjust and slam it all the way one direction or the other, the tempo and pitch of the track both change, but after a moment the pitch returns to normal while the tempo stays where I have moved the pitch fader. Hopefully that is a good enough explanation.

Inviato Sun 30 Oct 11 @ 11:31 am
djnutz wrote :
I have experimented with using the pitch fader on the NDX400 instead of using the pitch fader in the software. What I noticed was, I was able to change the tempo, but the pitch DOES change as well. However, when master tempo is ON, the pitch changes with the tempo but it does return to normal after a moment. So if I set the NDX400 to 100% pitch adjust and slam it all the way one direction or the other, the tempo and pitch of the track both change, but after a moment the pitch returns to normal while the tempo stays where I have moved the pitch fader. Hopefully that is a good enough explanation.

That is exactly what happens to me when using vinyl timecodes. I've just chalked it up as VDJ not being able to keep up. So to fix it I just move the pitch faded really slow. It's kinda like it (VDJ) ignores that keylock is even on for a moment. But like I said I just move it slowly and then it works fine.

Hope that helps somehow
Huey

PS, When using timecodes I never use the software fader, I don't use the mouse the adjust it. Always adjust it on the table, don't know if that makes a difference.

Inviato Sun 30 Oct 11 @ 12:16 pm
Yeah Huey, I think this is just a function of VDJ. I have used both the software pitch fader and the CDJ pitch fader with the same results. Perhaps it's something that could be addressed for the next release. I wonder if other DJ software such as Serato, Traktor and others experience the same thing...

Inviato Sun 30 Oct 11 @ 3:37 pm
willkPRO InfinityMember since 2005
As far as i know, you cannot use keylock in VDj while using timecodes. Think of it as using a technics 1200 back in the day. There was no keylock, just mixing capabilities, with the pitch changing with the tempo. IE, the faster the tempo, the song sounds like chipmunks, the slower the tempo, it sounds like a chopped and screwed song. It's one of the reasons i went with a pure midi controller, the NDX 800. I can plus and minus to my hearts content. I could be wrong, there may be a tweak, but i don't think so.

Inviato Tue 29 Jan 13 @ 9:24 am
willk wrote :
As far as i know, you cannot use keylock in VDj while using timecodes. Think of it as using a technics 1200 back in the day. There was no keylock, just mixing capabilities, with the pitch changing with the tempo. IE, the faster the tempo, the song sounds like chipmunks, the slower the tempo, it sounds like a chopped and screwed song. It's one of the reasons i went with a pure midi controller, the NDX 800. I can plus and minus to my hearts content. I could be wrong, there may be a tweak, but i don't think so.

Will, if you read my original post, I did state that I am not using master tempo on the cdj itself. I fully understand that for timecode to function properly, it needs to be a clean, unmodified signal. I am actually hoping that maybe this is an issue that might be addressed when the next version of the software comes out.

I have stated before in other threads, I use CDJ's as a method of redundancy. Should the computer crash, I have analog backup built in. Until they can design a midi controller that can operate as a stand alone (e.g. no computer needed analog dual deck cd playback device at a reasonable price point) piece of equipment, I will continue to use my CDJ's. They are working fine outside of this one little quirk that this thread is about. I love gear, but it just doesn't work within my business plan to buy a new piece of equipment to replace a piece of equipment that ain't broke yet.

Inviato Tue 29 Jan 13 @ 11:25 am
djnutz wrote :
a midi controller that can operate as a stand alone analog dual deck cd playback device at a reasonable price

There are several of these already on the market.

Inviato Tue 29 Jan 13 @ 2:03 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)