Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Set Parameters for adding ID Tag info from File name

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

prezPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Set Parameters for adding ID Tag info from File name.
I would like the ability to change the way the program reads File name to Tag....
like a setting for adding variables like most other programs.... most of my audio library is
<Track>_-_<Artist>_-_<Title>
(%7_-_%1_-_%2)
so I would like to import it that way, (almost all my audio has the IDtags already written, but some do not)

the same for my Video Library (most of which I can not write tags to the files.)
and my Karaoke is broken out into others (some are Title-Artist-DiscID) and some are (DiscID-Artist-Title)
I would like to be able to set the way it brings that data in (someplace in the settings or at the time I click on the radio button to have at least some options)

Inviato Sun 02 Nov 14 @ 11:33 am
I'm not saying that it's not useful to have an option, but you should really use a program like Tag & Rename to fix your tags once and forever.
Also, being a setting means it will act globally (on ALL files it meets) and therefore it will still import wrong results.

That's just an advise, not an "answer" on your request ;)

Inviato Tue 04 Nov 14 @ 7:53 pm
Agreed. Use the right tool for the job.

For fully featured tagging, use tagging software such as Tag&Rename (my favourite).

VDJ only has basic tagging as an additional feature for simple changes.

You can use a hammer to bang in a screw but it's better to use a screwdriver. :-)

Inviato Wed 05 Nov 14 @ 8:39 am
you are missing my point... files OTHER than MP3 that do not support tags.... VDJ has no way of discerning what goes where based on my file naming format.

yes, MP3 stores tag data, but most all other file formats do not support any form of file tags, so VDJ "guesses" to the tile/artist based on the file name format, THAT is what I am referring to, so the ability to tell VDJ how to fill in the database info based on MY file naming scheme then becomes important.

EDIT
I guess I should have stated I was referring to VDJ Database, not the actual file tag naming.
sorry for misstating on the original post.

Inviato Tue 11 Nov 14 @ 1:18 pm
prez wrote :
files OTHER than MP3 that do not support tags

Yes they do.

prez wrote :
most all other file formats do not support any form of file tags

Yes they do.

Inviato Tue 11 Nov 14 @ 1:53 pm
groovindj wrote :
prez wrote :
files OTHER than MP3 that do not support tags

Yes they do.

prez wrote :
most all other file formats do not support any form of file tags

Yes they do.

No.... they do not...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3

the bottom line and basis of my request is for my Karaoke and Video files... again, the file name to database option should allow me to parse how my file name is filled into the VDJ database VS a format I have no control over or having to enter the data for 40K files manually.

Inviato Tue 11 Nov 14 @ 8:42 pm
prez wrote :

No.... they do not...

Ah, so you're referring specifically to ID3 tags? You'd previously said "any form of file tags".

Even now you've moved the goalposts, if you actually read the wiki article it states that other formats do or can use ID3.

Inviato Wed 12 Nov 14 @ 4:21 am
groovindj wrote :
prez wrote :

No.... they do not...

Ah, so you're referring specifically to ID3 tags? You'd previously said "any form of file tags".

Even now you've moved the goalposts, if you actually read the wiki article it states that other formats do or can use ID3.

yes, I read the article... and yes, there are some options for tagging non MP3 files. ID3 is a standardized format that dictates what goes where. regardless,
again, I am not talking about tagging my library, or having VDJ tag it for me.

I am referring to the VDJ database and how it populates that database, as I stated, I misspoke when quoted the post about "TAGS"... I was meaning getting TAG information FROM the file, if the file has no TAG information then VDJ tries to populate the database based on the file name.... THAT is what I am referring to.

this is actually about the VDJ database, not file tags (although related)

EDIT:
if you read my original post, when I used the word "import" I was referring to the VDJ database there. I guess I didn't clarify and this got onto another track.
when I said "I would like the ability to change the way the program reads File name to Tag...." I was meaning when VDJ adds a new file to the database (tile, artist, remix) not the actual file tag.
When I said that some of my files have ID tag info and some do not, I was trying to explain that when a file is missing the tag info VDJ gets the database info from the file name instead... when VDJ does that, I want to tell VDJ HOW my files are named so the database is filled in correctly.

Inviato Thu 13 Nov 14 @ 5:58 am
Bot Phantom and myself have already given you answers. There was no misunderstanding.

VDJ is DJ software, not tagging software. It only offers basic tag access as a helpful feature.

If your file naming is uncoventional then only a file tagging program (such as those mentioned) will have the functionality to do the job.

Inviato Thu 13 Nov 14 @ 6:18 am
groovindj wrote :
Bot Phantom and myself have already given you answers. There was no misunderstanding.

VDJ is DJ software, not tagging software. It only offers basic tag access as a helpful feature.

If your file naming is uncoventional then only a file tagging program (such as those mentioned) will have the functionality to do the job.

Sorry you can not understand my question properly.
In ALL of my posts I am referring to the software (VDJ) filling in its own database from tags AND file names... the fact that my files are or are not tagged at this point becomes totally irrelevant.... either VDJ reads the tags (if they are there) if not. it has to get data from the file name.
do I need to say it again?

At its root, this is a DATABASE question, my use of the TERM "TAG" is referring to the VDJ Database filling in its appropriate data, either from the file tag or file-name.
NOT writing tag information to any files other than the VDJ Database.

Inviato Thu 13 Nov 14 @ 8:00 am
PCDJ Karoki has a separate import method for naming the files in the database during the import.

I was looking for something like this.

EDIT:
this is for database purposes only, it does nothing to the actual files... I do not want to do anything to any files.
just my database and what is populated where in it (back to the "IF" there is no tag data to get it from)

Inviato Thu 13 Nov 14 @ 8:12 am
How many times do you want to hear the answer?

Please read posts #2 and #3

Inviato Thu 13 Nov 14 @ 8:36 am
groovindj wrote :
How many times do you want to hear the answer?

Please read posts #2 and #3

How many times do you want to see me type that I do not want to write any tag data to any files MP3 or other?
your answer is sending me to programs that write tags... I DO NOT CARE about writing tag info to any files.

if you can not understand my request, please stop replying.

EDIT:
as I stated before... my use (form the title of this post)
Set Parameters for adding ID Tag info from File name
(which is why you are misunderstanding me)
I have no way of changing it but it would be better titled

"Set Parameters for adding VDJ Database info from File name"

is about getting VDJ database information... not writing any tag data to files.

I thought my use of the word FROM would refer not as to writing TO... again, you are taking the word TAG as to literally write tag data to files and that is incorrect.

I apologize for any confusion it created with the misunderstanding I started by confusing the terms.

Inviato Thu 13 Nov 14 @ 8:40 am
by default VDJ will take an UNTAGGED FILE (a file I converted to a low bitrate and stripped out tags for an example)
and parse it like this.

anything in parenthesis is parsed into remix (which can be good) but I have no way of controlling that.

I would like options for controlling how that data is handled in the VDJ database.

Inviato Thu 13 Nov 14 @ 8:59 am
Don't wanna hijack the post, just wanna thank Phantom & Groovin for the tip about Tag&Rename ... it's awesome!

sorry, now you can carry on

Inviato Thu 13 Nov 14 @ 10:00 am
prez wrote :
How many times do you want to see me type that I do not want to write any tag data to any files

This is the first time you've said that. If that's the case then I'd say you're out of luck.

You've already said that most of your files are tagged, so what's the issue with finishing the job and tagging the others?

VDJ imports data from tags. It expects the tags to be correctly filled out. Most people don't have an issue with doing that.

prez wrote :
anything in parenthesis is parsed into remix (which can be good) but I have no way of controlling that.

Yes you do have a way of controlling that. Search remix in your VDJ 8 config options.

Inviato Thu 13 Nov 14 @ 11:52 am
groovindj wrote :
prez wrote :
How many times do you want to see me type that I do not want to write any tag data to any files

This is the first time you've said that. If that's the case then I'd say you're out of luck.

You've already said that most of your files are tagged, so what's the issue with finishing the job and tagging the others?

VDJ imports data from tags. It expects the tags to be correctly filled out. Most people don't have an issue with doing that.

prez wrote :

Yes you do have a way of controlling that. Search remix in your VDJ 8 config options.

I mentioned it in the second post, (the edit part) as to wanting to work with the database, but it got way off track.
regardless, my request still stands.
I want more control of what goes where.
my karaoke is in MP3+G (.zip) format, and I have various video files (in many formats) that are my main reason for asking, not the MP3 files.

and thanks for the tip about the remix... ;)

Inviato Thu 13 Nov 14 @ 4:46 pm
telstrHome userMember since 2015
Just want to elaborate on this topic as I think I actually understand what it is the OP is trying to get at...

VirtualDJ isn't a tag editor, that is very clear and the OP knows it. What the OP is trying to do (as am I, thats how I found this thread), is to change HOW VirtualDJ interprets the components of a file name (artist, title, remix, composed by, year etc).

Parsing MP3 is easy, VirtualDJ will just use the ID3 tags

Parsing WAV for instance is tougher since the file name is the only information VirtualDJ is presented with and therefore has to guess based on a predefined format or scheme, where the artist name is, where the track number is etc.

I have a MASSIVE HQ music library, mostly in WAV and all my files have the same format: "%trackNo% - %artist% - %title% - (%remixed%) - %bpm% bpm" (I've created a parser my self which conforms my entire library to this format).

It's quite annoying that I can't change how VirtualDJ parses the files as with the afforementioned format I use, every track in VirtualDJ is shown with the track number contained as part of the Artist name/column... I would very much like to strip that part out.

Inviato Mon 29 Aug 16 @ 7:59 am
You really shouldn't dig up threads over a year old. The forum mods will quite likely lock the thread.

Anyway, the solution (as mentioned above) is to use a tag editing program to do the work, not VDJ.

Inviato Mon 29 Aug 16 @ 8:35 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)