Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: I am going to buy a new laptop for VDJ21 with Stems - Please advise
Will Windows 11 64-bit work with the new VDJ?

I am going to buy a new laptop, most likely another Dell as I have several of them and they work well for me.

Must I have the Nvidia card for the stems? I assume yes but wanted to double check.

Any other advice comments or suggestions is appreciated! Thanks. Chris

Inviato Tue 12 Oct 21 @ 8:11 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Nvidia card isn't a must but it gives a massive performance boost to stems processing
difference being a few seconds to almost instant.

Win 11 I know of some users have it working, but there's been no announcement officially, I don't think there will be until HW makers get their drivers sorted, [no point saying vdj works with win 11 if hardly any hardware works]

Personal opinion win 11 it's still too early to rely on it, there's still teething issues that microsoft need to address.

Inviato Tue 12 Oct 21 @ 9:01 pm
nvdia card is definitely recommended
http://virtualdj.com/forums/235562/General_Discussion/FAQ_about_VirtualDJ_2021.html
current generation i5 or i7 processor (i9 IF you can afford it)
16gb RAM - more if possible
4gb or better nvdia graphics card
SSD drives are smaller, but you can still use regular hard drives just fine and external drives for
my personal recommendation?
storage are a must but you can buy them over time.
avoid AMD if possible,
and as for brands - ASUS, MSI, Dell (REMOVE THE BLOATWARE!!!) and even some of the Lenovo ones. just do some comparison shopping online.

Inviato Wed 13 Oct 21 @ 1:02 am
I did not think it would be this hard finding a new laptop with the required specs ( windows 10-64 bit, 16-32 ram, nvidia graphics card and 1T hard drive. However it has been.

Will there be any issues with the smaller USBc ports to regular square USB connectors for my Denon MC4000 controller and mouse with VDJ21?

Dell appears to pushing windows 11, so finding 10 at 64 bits, with an nvidia graphics card, 16-32 ram and a terabyte of hard drive produced only 1 XPS 15 9500 and it is 1,771.00 with tax. ( their discounted price )

Can anyone suggest an alternative laptop they just bought that works great with VDJ21? THANKS! Chris

Inviato Thu 14 Oct 21 @ 1:11 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Dell XPS15 is working fine for me. I upgraded to Windows 11 last week and had no problems so far.
I don't have Denon gear around to try, but Pioneer DJM-S9, S11 and CDJ2000NXS2 worked fine.

If you don't want to take the risk with Windows 11 yet I think it's better to wait a little bit longer until other users tried with the controller you want to use rather than trying to find a Windows 10 one now.

Inviato Thu 14 Oct 21 @ 1:13 pm
How bad will a 2GB Ram Nvidia Geforce MX 450 graphics card be on a new i7, with 32 GB of Ram, see below. Thank in advance!

The ONLY reason I am considering this laptop is because it has two OLDSCHOOL USB A outlets. One for my mouse and the other for my DJ Controller. I am worried that a USBC to USBA adapter could go out in the middle of a gig or just die? Am I worrying too much?

Here are the other specs?

CPU: 11th Generation Intel Core i7-11370H (4 Cores, 8 Threads, 12MB Cache, 3.30 GHz base frequency, up to 4.80 GHz Max Turbo Frequency)

Memory: 32GB DDR4 SDRAM

Hard Drive: 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

Operating System: Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

Display: 15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-glare LED Backlight Non-Touch Narrow Border WVA Display

Touchscreen: No

Screen Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Ports:

2 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A
1 x Thunderbolt 4 (DP/PowerDelivery)
1 x HDMI 1.4
1 x Headphone/Microphone Combo Jack
1 x SD Card Reader
1 X RJ-45
1 x Power Jack
Graphics: GeForce MX450 with 2GB GDDR5 dedicated graphic memory

Audio: HD Audio with Stereo Speakers

Fingerprint Reader: Yes

Backlit Keyboard: Yes

Inviato Thu 14 Oct 21 @ 7:05 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Just buy a USB-C to USB-B cable and you don't need any C to A convertor.

Inviato Thu 14 Oct 21 @ 7:13 pm
Thank you! I was thinking I could also buy a usb 2.0 to C and a mouse with a C connector.

Inviato Thu 14 Oct 21 @ 7:47 pm
Laptop is on back order. It would not arrive until late December early January.

Back to the drawing board.

Do you think the other Dell with the 2GB Nvidia MX450 graphics card and the regular usb ports would work excellent with VDJ21? Thanks. C

Inviato Thu 14 Oct 21 @ 8:20 pm
I love my msi gaming laptop!!! I hate my dell gaming laptop. Nothing but issues from dell laptops. Not 1 single crash in a year from my msi, and I dj 2-3 times a week.

Inviato Sat 16 Oct 21 @ 1:25 pm
The GeForce MX450 may not be your best choice. The passmark score for it is pretty low by today's standards. The faster computers get, the more demand we put on them and the demand is always increasing and video processing is very demanding. I think it is better to buy a little higher end since you won't need to replace it as fast and so actually cheaper.

here is the passmark for MX450. I think this is a better way to compare than asking around.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+MX450&id=4296

Inviato Fri 22 Oct 21 @ 7:39 pm
If you're getting a brand new high spec PC then why skimp on the graphics? That's the important part for stems.

I recently bought an Alienware M15 R6 and I'm very happy with it.

Inviato Sat 23 Oct 21 @ 9:46 am