Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Very bad performance after trying an external screen?
SepatroPRO InfinityMember since 2019
Hello all,

I am enjoying VDJ a lot, I have a new powerful laptop that allows smooth stems 2.0 fx. After a few months of joy and fun at home, and DJin at a few smaller parties, yesterday I DJed at a larger event and many things went wrong.

In short, the CPU seemed to be working too hard, which resulted in distorted sounds, small hiccups when loading a new song or changing BPM, and extremely slow stems analysis.

As said, my laptop normally can handle all this without any problems, but yesterday it went wrong. The only difference with playing at home is that yesterday I connected a beamer for visual effects, for the first time. As I expected this might be the reason (GPU used for visual effects?), I disconnected this beamer, but nonetheless the extremely bad performance continued.

Any help appreciated!

Inviato Sat 11 Feb 23 @ 8:39 am
I suspect the bad performance has to do with a Windows 11 update... anyone having similar troubles?

Inviato Sun 12 Feb 23 @ 7:52 am
Did you restart VDJ after disconnecting the screen?

As it might be likely even though you disconnected it, a process was still being used preventing VDJ from working properly.

Inviato Mon 13 Feb 23 @ 8:38 am
Windows 11 sometimes doesn't shut down fully, but goes to sleep so it can start faster next time. I always force mine to do a full restart before I start DJing:

After you start up your laptop, do a Start > Restart
Let it restart and leave it for 5 minutes for everything to start up & settle down.

Inviato Mon 13 Feb 23 @ 8:38 am
Thanks for your answers... I did several restarts, updated drivers, ... nothing seems to help. I think it is due to a problem of VDJ with Windows 11, I made a seperate post about this.

Inviato Mon 13 Feb 23 @ 8:52 am
I have had a previous issue with poor video performance once trying to playback on a 4k screen without lowering resolution to match. the laptops video card couldn't deal with it but does just fine with a 1080p screen for some reason. can try lowering resolution and maybe try a different monitor to see if that makes a difference.

Inviato Mon 13 Feb 23 @ 9:23 am
The thing is, the bad performance remained, even after not using an external screen at all :).
So I guess something must have messed up the graphic card or so...

Inviato Mon 13 Feb 23 @ 9:39 am
This is my favourite subject.

If Windows will let you change the resolution of the output screen to the resolution of your content, e.g. 1080 x 123

Then change SkinFPS from 30 to 15 or even 10, which I use. The GPU is always going mad refreshing the skin when a 2nd monitor is attached.

Inviato Mon 13 Feb 23 @ 3:05 pm
But it remains mad even after 3 days of no second screen...

Inviato Mon 13 Feb 23 @ 6:55 pm