Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: PHASE HID - Support in VirtualDJ - Page: 1

Inviato Thu 23 Nov 23 @ 1:07 am
This is very great news indeed 🍺 - kudos to the team for getting this done so quickly (another reason to give thanks this weekend).

However, I've noticed one major issue and two minor issues specific to the Phase HID usage (at least on my end) when using b7816 (M1 MacBook Pro, 2020, 16 GB RAM):

• (Major Issue) There is serious drift in the tracking of remotes when I use them on my turntables (Reloop RP7000 MK2s). The pitch readout on the skin is saying they are matched, and they may start matched, but the eventually go out of time very quickly, especially if I do any manipulations of the record. It is drift because:
    - I've tried it with the same track, and the pitch reset on for each deck, using the remotes (which should make both tables spin at the original BPM of the song)
    - I did the same thing with regular VirtualDJ vinyl records and they are much better matched (respecting the pitch readout on the table to within 1 decimal place)
  • (Minor Issue) PHASE-LedMode does not have an option to respect the remote LED color that is chosen in the Phase MWM Manager itself - it always overrides with the default colours listed in the hardware page
  • (Minor Issue) There should still be an option to still use the regular RCA mode with Phase
    It was unclear to me from modifications to the manual, if that was still possible, and some people do prefer the original DVS Timecode signal reproduction behaviour.

Inviato Thu 23 Nov 23 @ 3:53 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
DJ VinylTouch wrote :
(Major Issue) There is serious drift in the tracking of remotes when I use them on my turntables (Reloop RP7000 MK2s). The pitch readout on the skin is saying they are matched, and they may start matched, but the eventually go out of time very quickly, especially if I do any manipulations of the record. It is drift because:
- I've tried it with the same track, and the pitch reset on for each deck, using the remotes (which should make both tables spin at the original BPM of the song)
- I did the same thing with regular VirtualDJ vinyl records and they are much better matched (respecting the pitch readout on the table to within 1 decimal place)

I dont get any drift here. In fact i put both Remotes on the same TT (one on top of the other), played 2 Tracks (pressed SYNC), and they stayed together for ever (as Rick would say ;) ) no matter if i scratch or not

DJ VinylTouch wrote :
(Minor Issue) PHASE-LedMode does not have an option to respect the remote LED color that is chosen in the Phase MWM Manager itself - it always overrides with the default colours listed in the hardware page

Will add an option to ignore software colors.
In the meantime, you can map the COLOR_UPDATE_L/R keys to false.
However, the Phase doesnt report the color you selected via the Phase Manager, so if you prefer to keep the "Hardware" colors, you lose all the other software options like blink On End, Battery level warning etc.

DJ VinylTouch wrote :
(Minor Issue) There should still be an option to still use the regular RCA mode with Phase
It was unclear to me from modifications to the manual, if that was still possible, and some people do prefer the original DVS Timecode signal reproduction behaviour.

I believe you can set the Phase to "ignore" from CONTROLLERS tab and setup DVS like before.

Inviato Thu 23 Nov 23 @ 4:07 am
hello !!! How do you configure the phase hid please...!!!!

Inviato Thu 23 Nov 23 @ 4:24 am
Quote :
I dont get any drift here. In fact i put both Remotes on the same TT (one on top of the other), played 2 Tracks (pressed SYNC), and they stayed together for ever (as Rick would say ;) )

I'm pretty confident in my assessment here - I just reproduced it again, and in particular, put the phase transmitters on different turntables, quartz lock both turntables, then start the same track on them at the same time (use sync to align them perfectly if needed). Once playing in sync, just do a slight nudge on one of the tables - you'll see that even after your hand leaves the record, it continues to lose velocity quickly relative to the other playing track. Sync does seem to realign things again, but the hand manipulation causing that major drift almost makes it unusable via HID.
I've done the same thing using the regular DVS signal for Phase (b7759) and the problem does not happen there.

Also I didn't think of the ignore mapping tip...thanks for providing that. I think that info should be added to the new edition of the Virtual Phase Manual as well.

Inviato Thu 23 Nov 23 @ 4:28 am
DJ VinylTouch wrote :
Once playing in sync, just do a slight nudge on one of the tables - you'll see that even after your hand leaves the record, it continues to lose velocity quickly relative to the other playing track. .

I see what you mean. We will try to prevent Tempo changes when nudging/bending.

Inviato Thu 23 Nov 23 @ 4:48 am
It's good that you can reproduce it. It's not really only nudging/pitchbending that is affected - any serious scratching is affected here too once the record is released, that's why I called it major.
Thank you for taking the time to work on this wonderful feature for us...I'm thankful regardless.

Inviato Thu 23 Nov 23 @ 4:55 am
Also in relation to this:

Quote :
Will add an option to ignore software colors.
In the meantime, you can map the COLOR_UPDATE_L/R keys to false.
However, the Phase doesnt report the color you selected via the Phase Manager, so if you prefer to keep the "Hardware" colors, you lose all the other software options like blink On End, Battery level warning etc.

Given Phase Manager doesn't report colours, if it is possible and not too much trouble, could you add a color picker per deck for Phase remotes in the VirtualDJ options, while keeping all the nice features (e.g. blink on end, etc)?

Inviato Thu 23 Nov 23 @ 5:16 am
If you feel the Remote color is so critical, you can change the action of the 4 COLOR leds in Mapping and replace every get_deck_color 'absolute' with device_side 'left' ? color 'YourColor1' : color 'Yourcolor2' where YourColor1 is the color you want for Left Remote and YourColor2 is for Right Remote.

PS. Easiest way is to create a "custom Mapping" by slightly editing a Key and then back to original action, then open the Custom Mapping .xml and do the Find/Replace as above using a Text/XML Editor

Inviato Thu 23 Nov 23 @ 5:30 am
It's not critical, but this is good information...I'll probably make a custom, mapping as you have said (it might be a candidate for the hardware manual as well).

Thank you for your answers, time and patience.

Inviato Thu 23 Nov 23 @ 5:45 am
Wow! Just got the newsletter from Phase this morning, and already VirtualDJ implementation is ready.

You guys rock!

Inviato Thu 23 Nov 23 @ 7:43 am
Phase shows up but does not seem to work in VDJ under OSX Ventura on a M2 and a I9. I can choose Phase and during startup it recognized Phase but once chosen in controllers and close it, ir bounces back to manual control. Also in Options cat:controllers I don't see phase options. Running lastes VDJ

Inviato Thu 23 Nov 23 @ 11:46 am
Ah...early access bird.... 7816....where?

Inviato Thu 23 Nov 23 @ 11:55 am
Turn on early access in your VDJ settings.

Inviato Thu 23 Nov 23 @ 12:45 pm
I'm having a bit of trouble getting it to work.

I installed Phase manager 2.4, and it updated the firmware to 8.0.
I installed VDJ 7816.

Phase manager says everything is connected and updated, but when I start VDJ I don't get the "Hardware detected" for Phase. But I do see it the controllers dialog, and if I unplug it, it disappears. So it is at least partly detected, but it doesn't control the decks.

If I plug in the RCAs and enable timecode in audio settings it works.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Inviato Thu 23 Nov 23 @ 3:54 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Vinyl Mode enabled on the decks?

Inviato Thu 23 Nov 23 @ 4:02 pm

Deck Options -> Jog Behavior is set to Vinyl Mode (scratch).

That's the menu under the tiny cog wheel on each deck in the pro layout. Is that that what you mean?

Inviato Thu 23 Nov 23 @ 4:09 pm
@NIELS
The Phase support is what we call a "silent" update on top of the Build, so right after you run the Early Access Build, you will need to restart once again to update the Controllers (and of course you need Internet connection)
To verify, open VirtualDJ Settings->LICENSES tab and look at the very bottom. It should read Build 7816.2025
Also make sure your Phase is on the "factory default" Mapping

Inviato Thu 23 Nov 23 @ 4:10 pm
Hmm, I have restarted but I seem to have 7816.2024

I am connected to wifi (with internet access :). How quick should the silent update come in?

Inviato Thu 23 Nov 23 @ 4:15 pm
A few seconds with VirtualDJ running idle should be fine on next restart

Inviato Thu 23 Nov 23 @ 4:34 pm
14%