Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: CRSS12 Tempo sliders not working. Play button response needs tweaking. - Page: 1
DJ KozPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I am using 2 CRSS12s with an S11 and the tempo sliders aren’t working properly. Sometimes not even responding. I have it set on digital using RCA’s and usbs to the S11.

It sometimes changes the waveforms but the bpm display and slider does not respond in vdj. Major delay when it actually decides to work.

Also when pressing play the startup could use some tweaking as well. I understand it’s a turntable but I think vdj should be able to compromise. I have the rane 12s mk2. Although I know they are not the same, it does a good job on startup when hitting play. I guess I’m expecting them to work relatively the same.

Inviato Sat 30 Dec 23 @ 9:47 pm
Do you by any chance have "STEP PITCH" enabled?

While tempo slider sends MIDI data, it is not used by VirtualDJ directly.
That's because TEMPO slider is also controlling the platter speed rotation, and since the unit works via DVS (timecode) the playback speed is determined by the timecode signal.

Also, "STEP PITCH" as a function, does more or less what you're tryo describe. It keeps the tempo steady, until it's time to drop the speed down (or increase it up) a semitone in key.
Therefore small adjustments of tempo slider while "STEP PITCH" is active won't do anything.

Regarding playback:
With Rane 12 (MKI and MKII models) there is more control over the deck from the software than with Pioneer. That allows the software to have better knowledge of what's happening (e.g motor on/off, starting from paused state, e.t.c.)
CRSS12 is really just a glorified DVS system. For the most part VirtualDJ has to deal with the deck as if it was a "SL1200MKII" and not a hybrid controller.
So yes, everything is (and feels) more "analog" with CRSS12.

Inviato Tue 02 Jan 24 @ 5:09 pm
Step pitch is not active. There is no control over the pitch. When it does react it doesn’t correspond with what you’re trying to do. It responds sporadically.

Inviato Tue 09 Jan 24 @ 9:20 pm
Just wanted to confirm I'm seeing similar behavior with CRSS12s + S11.

Inviato Sun 11 Feb 24 @ 3:49 am
Just some questions that may or may not help (this is aasuming you are using the internal DVS timecode generation function, regular analog usage is the same as any other turntable)

• Did you select Serato Side A/B as the timecode type in the timecode type?
  • Did you select Phono as the input type in the S11 settings utility
  • Is the deck selected to control the right software deck (see the MIDI control section of the PLX CRSS12 user manual for more info
  • As stated under the Needle Mode section of the PLX CRSS12 user manual, did you select Serato as the Digital Vinyl mode?
  • What is the value of timecodePitchSliderIgnoreBend option?
    That delays pitch changes in some cases.
    Might as well check all the other timecode options too in the options list to make sure they make sense for your use case.
  • Did you try after a reboot?
    Weirdly enough, I found S11 functionality to be weird sometimes when switching between VirtualDJ and Serato without a reboot.

Inviato Sun 11 Feb 24 @ 4:05 pm
So just an update on this...I've updated to v2023 b7885 on an M1 MacBook Pro, and I've also noticed that with regular DVS (VirtualDJ Timecode used on 2×Reloop RP7000 MK2s) it takes very very long for pitch changes to register (at least from the perspective of what is shown on the skin) regardless of the timecodePitchSliderIgnoreBend setting.

• With timecodePitchSliderIgnoreBend set to true, it takes most of the time upwards of 5-6 seconds to register anything
  • With timecodePitchSliderIgnoreBend set to false it it is marginally better (upwards of 4-5 seconds to register anything)
  • There were at least a few cases where the pitch change didn't seem to register at all

This is pretty unusable for basic beat matching, if the readout on the skin is being consulted.

With HID phase however it registers much faster (like how DVS used to function) and it is useable there.

Inviato Tue 13 Feb 24 @ 7:25 pm
Then these turntables are useless if we need Phase.

Inviato Tue 13 Feb 24 @ 8:27 pm
The turntables (PLX CRSS12) don't need phase to work, I just quickly did a comparison to see if the HID phase behaviour was affected. The turntables (PLX CRSS12) basically works similar to non HID phase by generating the timecode signal for the software to use with DVS.

Something has changed in the DVS sense wrt pitch slider adjustments....there seems to be too much smoothing happening...enough to make pitch adjustments not register in a reasonable time.

Inviato Tue 13 Feb 24 @ 8:58 pm
While we will take a look at this, keep in mind that VISUAL representation (the slider position on screen, e.t.c.) has nothing to do with the audio engine itself.
The pitch slider position on screen (and BPM readout e.t.c) is indeed smoothed so that it does not jump all over the place all the time due to fluactations and such.
However, this is separate from the audio engine that follows the TC signal much more close.

In other words, yes we will check if visual representation needs tweaking. However the deck should be absolutely useable if you try to beatmatch by ear and not by eyes.

Inviato Tue 13 Feb 24 @ 11:47 pm
@PhantomDeejay I agree that this may just be visual (I'm gomna do some more tests to confirm), but there is definitely a noticeable difference in visual representation/smoothing between Phase in HID mode vs regular DVS in the current beta... that one is a bit less understandable.

Inviato Wed 14 Feb 24 @ 12:23 am
Thank you for taking a look at it. I’m sure there will be a great solution.

Inviato Wed 14 Feb 24 @ 3:46 am
Just an update on the regular DVS problem...so it does seem like the the audio is affected much quicker than the skin shows, as expected. However, ( it's hard for me to tell given the beat matching by ear also being done/adding to the imprecision) but it seems as if there is some audio smoothing happening on slow motion/releases - this ultimately makes drops after scratching/ regular drops harder.

Compared to v2023 b7831 and all of this considered, the DVS behavior does feel different/harder to use - I (and maybe potentially other users) may prefer the DVS response in the older version.

Inviato Thu 15 Feb 24 @ 5:14 pm
DJ VinylTouch wrote :
So just an update on this...I've updated to v2023 b7885 on an M1 MacBook Pro, and I've also noticed that with regular DVS (VirtualDJ Timecode used on 2×Reloop RP7000 MK2s) it takes very very long for pitch changes to register (at least from the perspective of what is shown on the skin) regardless of the timecodePitchSliderIgnoreBend setting.

• With timecodePitchSliderIgnoreBend set to true, it takes most of the time upwards of 5-6 seconds to register anything
  • With timecodePitchSliderIgnoreBend set to false it it is marginally better (upwards of 4-5 seconds to register anything)
  • There were at least a few cases where the pitch change didn't seem to register at all

This is pretty unusable for basic beat matching, if the readout on the skin is being consulted.

With HID phase however it registers much faster (like how DVS used to function) and it is useable there.

Yup something is happening here on my end. Phase is fast but just timecode and tables its slow as hell.

Inviato Thu 15 Feb 24 @ 9:32 pm
Does the new Early Access BUILD 7907 (2024-02-17)…

-Fix timecode pitch display updating slow

…have something to do with the issues in this thread?

Inviato Sat 17 Feb 24 @ 2:02 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Yes, pitch update speed when using timecode should be the same again as in public build.
Some more improvements are coming to make it more responsive

Inviato Sat 17 Feb 24 @ 3:01 pm
Can’t wait to try. Would love to have the CRSS12s in my setup rotation. Right now they’re sitting in cases in my garage waiting to be used. Thank you and look forward to the fixes.

Inviato Sat 17 Feb 24 @ 3:07 pm
Hi,

Hope your"re good!! I have a DJM-S11 and 2 CRSS-12, all works flawlessly on Serato but on VDJ platter won"t turn. All works but nothing happend when i click Start/Stop button. Some of you, can help me please ?

Thanks

Inviato Sat 09 Mar 24 @ 1:40 pm
Make sure VINYL mode is enabled on each deck

Inviato Sat 09 Mar 24 @ 8:23 pm
Thank you will try tomorrow !

Inviato Mon 11 Mar 24 @ 10:06 pm
Same thing nothing happen when Vinyl mode is activated.

Can any of you get the turntable to work?

Inviato Tue 12 Mar 24 @ 10:22 am
65%