Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: DJ Lessons from a russian dude I don't even know. - Page: 1

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

- DJ Lesson No. 1

Play less than four compositions in a row, having same musical style (rock, rave, house, disco, rap ...)

During 25 – 30 minutes, you must try to meet all types of the music taste. Dj, who plays songs of the one musical style more than 20 minutes, will not create energetics and will not increase the selling of the alcoholic drinks (exception - special thematic parties). Full dance-floor during all the night will not add any cash to the bar. “Soft change of the dance-floor” will make people go to the bar, and, at the same time, there will come new people to dance.

Inviato Mon 12 Nov 01 @ 11:48 pm
- DJ Lesson No. 2

Play less than four songs in a row, having same BPM diapason. Every next song must have larger BPM.

Club owners like Dee Jays, who can make people “chill-up”, using high rhythm music. To “chill-up” your listeners, start playing songs from 100 BPM and rise it up to 130 BPM or more, using various musical styles (lesson 1). It will make You more better Dj in eyes of night club owners, because they give You job, looking at Your reputation and your skill to increase selling of alcoholic drinks.

Inviato Mon 12 Nov 01 @ 11:50 pm
- DJ Lesson No. 3

Do not repeat song more than two times during the night.

There is nothing worse than Dj, who repeats ten or more songs during the night. Try to impress your listeners, using new music, and in other row than You did in the previous night. Frequent repeating of the songs – the symptom of Dj weakness.

Inviato Mon 12 Nov 01 @ 11:51 pm
- DJ Lesson No. 4

Play very popular and all known music early at the evening.

It is very useful tool, making “zone of comfort” for people, who come to the nightclub early. Some Dee Jays uses to play very new music early at the evening... It is wrong decision. When people come to nightclub early, they do not dance, but listen. So, that’s the time, when it needs to make them feel very comfortable, playing well-known music. If You do the auditorium as Your friend early, then they will trust You later in the night, when You will reach maximum culmination of the dance energy. Most of the nightclubs fill early with women, who want to take better seats at the club. So, play songs that women like, because, “if woman is not happy – nobody is happy!”

Inviato Mon 12 Nov 01 @ 11:52 pm
- DJ Lesson No. 5

Do not play song longer than 5-6 minutes.

You must try to play as much as possible songs during the night. Long song will not give anything good and will increase bore of a guest. It doesn’t mean that You need to mix out every song when it comes to the first drum party, You must read the body language of the guests. Even, if they are not dancing, they might, at least, move their legs in the rhythm of your song and look happy. If it is not so – they feel boring and can leave the club.

Inviato Mon 12 Nov 01 @ 11:52 pm
- DJ Lesson No. 6

Play slows in the first quarter of every hour.

It is very good way, used by Dee Jays very little. If You play ballad (it could be “Time” from “Scorpions”) at the end of every hour, guests are looking at the clock and going to another place (going home). If You play ballad in the beginning of the hour, guests look at the clock and stay there (at the club) for some more 45 minutes. But don’t play ballads from time 23:30 to 0:30, known as energetic hour. It is time when bars are making lot of money, selling drinks, and dance-floor energetic must be maximal. You must play most hot hits at this time, making people going wild.

Inviato Mon 12 Nov 01 @ 11:53 pm
- DJ Lesson No. 7

Time determines BPM rate.

Begin all sets in 100 BPM or lower, by 8 to 10 pm. It is a prelude for "energetic hour" and late night. People still come to club and, slower bpm, popular songs, approach in this situation more. After 11 pm. till closing all sets should begin with 130 BPM and higher (but more than 700 - 800 I do not advise ). Gradual acceleration will not prevent in any situation, and it makes people sweaty and exhausted by thirst. Music with low BPM causes boredom and does not promote (increased) sweating, therefore public “will be pulled” to an exit. But remember, that dancing power is not always a product of high BPM. Create dancing heat by group of dancing support or other creative ideas.

Inviato Mon 12 Nov 01 @ 11:54 pm
- DJ Lesson No. 8

One announcement (without music) in each half an hour.

You should make (a minimum) two announcements each hour to advance an alcoholic drink or something another (clubs are different). When you switch off music, speak only about one event. By the way, you can say some joke: when Deejay tells joke, sometimes it is funny for others. Your audience can have very short interval of attention. You have some seconds before they mentally “disconnects” from you, (or in general will be disconnected ). Make announcements no more than 5 - 15 seconds. If you speak too much, nobody will listen to you. “And now we shall drink in a bar vodka! " - the most simple and short announcement for "promotion of alcoholic drinks".

Inviato Mon 12 Nov 01 @ 11:55 pm
- DJ Lesson No. 9

Program three sets in hour.

The most powerful concept of construction of a set - to feel public and to understand, what it is necessary for it from you, what it wants first of all. (This concept is useful not only on dance-floor, but also in life in general). If you play a lot of new music, but visitors are at age 28-35, play better by their rules, if you do not want scandals with boss. If guests do not dance, they even should smile, beating legs in rhytm, and positively react with body on music, do you understand? Ask yourself the following: What age is public? How it is dressed? What ratio of men and women? Whether there are any birthdays, barchelor parties, celebratings of the ending of educational institutions? Answers to these questions will help you to choose music. Sets should be no more than 15 - 20 minutes long. If you make three sets at one hour, public has time to reach the rack of a bar three times in one hour instead of one. Business goes on.

Inviato Mon 12 Nov 01 @ 11:55 pm
- DJ Lesson No. 9

Accompany women!

This remarkable rule is useful in every respect. The DJ-compere is the main figure in club. He is as well the main seller for a bar. If energy of DJ is infectious for public - public really has fun. You must play music, which “raises” women! If women are happy and well spend time good, guys will be there, spending their money. Here it is, the grin of capitalism... and no romantics...

Inviato Mon 12 Nov 01 @ 11:56 pm
- DJ Lesson No. 10 (oops, I wrote lesson 9 twice heheheh)

Wish good night at an entrance door.

Closer to morning, appear at an entrance door. This is successful time to distribute invitations, flyiers and VIP cards to thank visitors. Personal contact creates excellent preconditions for creation constant visitors. People want to go there, where they feel like desired!

There are lot of variations of these rules, but the given basis is essential for reasonable programming music, which keeps durability of club and your hardly earned reputation. Much of these rules are ordinary, common sense, and some DJ's use such format, which becomes the face of their club and their reputation.

Inviato Mon 12 Nov 01 @ 11:57 pm
You forgot to write about the effect of drugs:))))))))))))))))))))))))

Inviato Tue 13 Nov 01 @ 2:16 am
Well, when I'm high, I do better mixes, but I'm wondering what are you talkin'bout so, what's that drug thing???

Inviato Tue 13 Nov 01 @ 10:04 am
i was just kiddin:)))))))))))))))))))

Inviato Tue 13 Nov 01 @ 1:40 pm
You may have been kidding... but the fact IS that there's a pot side effect related to music... and it's very creative...

Inviato Tue 13 Nov 01 @ 3:08 pm
mamaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
No, there´s not a pod side effect, except if you´re high, YOU THINK it affects the quality of your mix positive!

Inviato Tue 13 Nov 01 @ 4:10 pm
Naah.... when I'm high, I use the creative side of my brain... If I'm not high and I listen to pre-mixed stuff I made when I was high... It sounds better...

Inviato Tue 13 Nov 01 @ 4:12 pm
Well, the other month, I did a mix when I was absolutely pissed out of my skull, and I thought it went superbly. The next day, after I sobered up, I listened to the mix. It was terrible, I deleted it immediately...

Inviato Tue 13 Nov 01 @ 4:14 pm
gotta say 'pot' has a great creative edge to it .. i mix far better and smoothly when smashed and feeling good than totally stone cold sober/straight .. more emotion = better mix

Inviato Wed 14 Nov 01 @ 1:23 am
Yup... when... cause mixing isn't only a math thing... it's a music thing...

Inviato Wed 14 Nov 01 @ 4:33 pm
49%