Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Spontaneous reboots. - Page: 1

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

Before I even get started, here are my machine specs...

Athelon 64 bit 3.2 ghz processor
XFX GeForce 6800 Xtreme video card
Three 200 gig EIDE Maxtors connected to an XFX Sync Raid Controller
1 Gig of RAM
Biostar 6100-M7 Motherboard
Fresh Install of Windows XP.

Okay with that out of the way, here is the issue. I work in a gentlemen's club which has two shifts per day (except on Sundays). I usually work the days which start at around 11:30am. I can fire up VDJ and start using it and at least one time during my shift it will just reboot without warning. Thinking maybe I had some marginal memory, I upgraded it and the same thing happened. It doesn't matter what song I might be playing at the time. (It has happened with videos and mp3s) I've used Winamp for an entire shift and not had any problems, so I can't really blame the hardware. Before any even mentions overheating, the CPU isn't even breathing hard. I push my machine at home a lot harder than this rig, and I don't have these types of problems. This has been happening for the past few weeks, to the point where we can't use it anymore. Any suggestions?

Inviato Fri 21 Apr 06 @ 3:19 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
try moving your ram to a differnt slot, or slowing down the timing in the bois sometimes it could be you ram is not seeing the voltage it needs.

Inviato Fri 21 Apr 06 @ 3:24 pm
Ahhh. I almost forgot. I looked in the event log and got this error code:

Error code 0000009c, parameter1 00000004, parameter2 80545ff0, parameter3 b2000000, parameter4 00070f0f.

Maybe that might help.

Inviato Fri 21 Apr 06 @ 6:51 pm
Dj-LosPRO InfinityMember since 2005
try to "google" that error, it will get you going in the right direction.

Basically what I find is that the most posible answer may be the RAM.
If you have multiple chips (dimms) do they all match? If not try booting up with each one and test.

Also, did you install the service packs for XP?

as always, what was the last change you made to system?
this is usually where the problem is.

here is the meaning of the error if you can call it that.

Error code 0000009c = "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION" - This indicates that a fatal machine check exception has occurred. See also Q162363 and error code 0x0000009c.

-Dj Los.

Inviato Fri 21 Apr 06 @ 7:26 pm
I actually Googled the whole string and found that it is a low level hardware issue involving the Video drivers. The card I have is PCI Express card which is something I forgot to mention. The RAM is fine. (It is a one gig stick) I don't have any problems running video in any other program, just VDJ. I'm also going to adjust the timings too and see if that might help. And the machine was just buit by me specifically to run VDJ so no modifications have been since VDJ was installed. (And yes all the services packs are installed).

Inviato Fri 21 Apr 06 @ 8:19 pm
what kind of ram is it?, I agree with the video string error you could try rolling back to older drivers for it

Inviato Fri 21 Apr 06 @ 8:41 pm
I usually find the stop error codes easier to diagnose:

Rightclick My Computer and select Properties. Choose the Advanced tab from the top. Click Settings from Statup and Recovery. Finally untick Automatically Restart from the System Failure section.

If it is a video driver error, make sure to uninstall the driver using safe mode (its to do with Windows driver protection) and then reboot your PC before installing the new driver.

Whenever I've had unknown reboots its from not giving my CPU enough voltage or sufficient cooling. I don't recommend you increase the voltage but if you decreased your FSB by 10 you can see if that makes a difference.

You can always test your CPU and RAM by using these two freeware programs: Memtest86 (requires a floppy/cdrom and boots from DOS) and Prime95 (run the torture test).

Inviato Fri 21 Apr 06 @ 9:09 pm
Somthing just hit me

what type of powersupply is in that thing? Using a high end graphics card such as that a powersupply of 350 watts is recomended.

Inviato Sat 22 Apr 06 @ 2:01 am
Thats a good point. It's also important to know that just because a PSU may say 400W you may not actually be getting that much. Many cheaper manufacturers will state the highest possible output but larger companies such as Antec and more specifically their TruePower brand always give you the stated performance, this is why they're so much more expensive.

Inviato Sat 22 Apr 06 @ 2:13 am
Good point with the power supply. I thought about that too. I'm using a Thermaltake 430w PSU. That PSU has gotten good reviews. My argument is still that it is something that the software is doing. When I play videos and music using Winamp, I can go all day and night without issue. And the other thing I failed to mention is that it may only happen once or twice in a twelve hour period. It isn't a frequent reboot situation. Very strange indeed.

Inviato Sat 22 Apr 06 @ 8:30 am
I actually did a little more digging and found the true meaning to the error code 0x0000009C.

"This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU)"

It could be that my RAM is getting too hot. Seeing how VDJ uses your ram a lot more than Winamp would. (Since winamp just streams the music and VDJ is constantly accesing your memory.) I'm going to pick up a heat spreader and an extra fan to draw more air into the case to see if that helps. It stays pretty frosty in our DJ booth so an intake fan should help a lot. I'm not overclocking the CPU and I've kept an eye on the temp of the GPU which is well within limits. I'll let everyone know what the outcome is. Thanks everyone for pitching in. I really love this program and can't wait until version 4. (Our other DJ 'was' a faithfull Winamp fan, and he is now hooked. He is even willing to put up with the reboots!)

Inviato Sat 22 Apr 06 @ 8:42 am
1) Update all your drivers!
2) check your memory with memcheck(google for it, it's freeware)
3) I read on Microsoft’s site another thing that can cause this error is a power supply that is noisy, one that sends noise into the circuitry so try another one if you can

Inviato Sat 22 Apr 06 @ 3:24 pm
A sudden reboot like that is almost always a hardware error.

I hope you can figure out what it is, if its over-heated ram, or anything else.

I think you migth be on the right track, as you say.,.. VDJ uses video in ram, where as winamp streams from harddrive.

If its heated, a fan might solve it.
If the ram is corrupted, go back to store and demand a new one:)

Hope you figure it out soon, and all works ok:)

Inviato Sat 22 Apr 06 @ 3:33 pm
For some reason all the prompts in the forum today are coming up in spanish. Hmmm. Anyway, here is an update on my system. I added another fan, and put a RAM cooler on the 1gig DIMM I have in the machine. It lasted almost through the entire night then crashed. Arrrrrrrg. The ambient temperature of the motherboard was about 34-37c all night long. Now here is where it gets interesting. Our other DJ was able to use VDJ both Friday & Saturday night with no crashing. The only difference when he uses it, is that he doesn't access and music from an external drive. Most of the time when I'm DJing, I might grab a song here and there from my external. (Which is connected to a Belkin hub.) Strange huh?

-----------------------
DJ Derrick E.
www.myspace.com/djderricke
www.djderricke.com

Inviato Tue 25 Apr 06 @ 4:47 pm
not really, might be a usb problem

Check if your USB ports share IRQ... If there is ONE think that USB devices do not like, its sharing the IRQ ;) if they do share IRQ, there are lots of good tips on fixing it here : www.usbman.com

Or you can try changing the IRQ yourself, by disable usb port in hardware tap, then reactivate (makes windows re-asign IRQ, and you can be lucky ;)

Inviato Tue 25 Apr 06 @ 5:09 pm
retgreeHome userMember since 2006
I have 2 similar problems.
- During a dj session often happens that my display became dark, the sounds go, but I can't do anything and I must reboot the sistem.
- Sometimens the program go on Crash Guard

Where can I view the exact error code?
are there some log?

My notebook is a Toshiba Satellite L20-257and I have a Virtual DJ Home Edition.
please help me.
Thank you.

Inviato Tue 02 May 06 @ 1:46 pm
1st thing you need to do with any DJ system you use in public is to install Virtual DJ on a CLEAN system. (Meaning re-install Windows fresh.) If you bought a system from Dell or Gateway, download the appropriate drivers and reinstall. (Most times they will install a LOT of unneeded programs that will just bloat your system.) 90% of the time installing Windows fresh will fix your problem. In my case I finally got to the root cause of the rebooting. It was my PSU. Even though the PSU box stated it was rated for PCI-E motherboard, it just barely was. Replacing the PSU with a more expensive model with DUAL 12V Rails (That last part is very very important!) solved my mysterious reboot problems.

DJ Derrick E.
www.myspace.com/djderricke
www.djderricke.com

Inviato Tue 02 May 06 @ 9:55 pm
retgreeHome userMember since 2006
I'll try to re-install Windows.
thank you.

Inviato Wed 03 May 06 @ 9:19 am
I agree with the above solution but one problem is that when you buy from DELL (and other similar companies) you don't get a Windows installation CD but a restore CD instead, which is kind of useless..

Make sure if you do a fresh install of windows that you do so from an install cd, not a recovery system prepared by your computer manufacturer. Also try to have a rough idea what your hardware is as you'll most likely need to install motherboard drivers.

Inviato Wed 03 May 06 @ 4:22 pm
I was looking at that card as I got a new system at my work and it is a DELL, should I go with a different card??? Thanks Brian

Inviato Wed 02 Aug 06 @ 12:00 am
80%