Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: 50’s and 60’s charts

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

I just booked a 5 hour wedding anniversary and they want all oldies, 50’s and 60’s.. They are going to email me a list of their favorite artist but I don’t think that will last 5 hours..
I’m looking for popular artist, song titles charts from the 50’s, 60’s and early 70’s..
Anyone have a link to find such lists???

Thanks

Inviato Wed 04 Apr 07 @ 4:45 am

Inviato Wed 04 Apr 07 @ 5:42 am
Most old records are difficult to get hold of in their original form. Plenty of compilation CDs exist - but avoid the bog-standard CDs you might see in supermarkets - they tend to be new recordings by as many members of the original group as possible.

You can certainly get a huge batch of CDs containing all the Number Ones from 1952 to last year - but you will either need to have about a grand about your person to buy the lot or buy them bit-by-bit.

http://www.mastermixdj.com is the place to go to. You will also need to sign up as a member. Other CDs are also available - their collection is all original artists, no live versions or re-orchestrations.

Inviato Wed 04 Apr 07 @ 11:43 am
You have the Platinum Series? It has a lot of oldies.

Inviato Wed 04 Apr 07 @ 3:19 pm

Inviato Mon 09 Apr 07 @ 8:19 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
hi paul

if anyone is uk based i've been using these next two sites as my bible and you can't get a better reference libray first one (as people from that era could only get radio 1 for popular music or one or two pirate stations) is bbc top of the pops get to www.bbc.co.uk when in totp charts on the left hand side click database when you get to that page click advance and then it will give you a few selections pick a year and press submit it will give you every song that was played on totp for that year month by month, the second one i use is www.everyhit.com can be used as in totp but i mainly use it as a reference libray when tagging songs when i'm not sure about there history, hope it helps...Tayla

Inviato Mon 09 Apr 07 @ 1:40 pm
tayla wrote :
hi paul

if anyone is uk based i've been using these next two sites as my bible and you can't get a better reference libray first one (as people from that era could only get radio 1 for popular music or one or two pirate stations) is bbc top of the pops get to www.bbc.co.uk when in totp charts on the left hand side click database when you get to that page click advance and then it will give you a few selections pick a year and press submit it will give you every song that was played on totp for that year month by month, the second one i use is www.everyhit.com can be used as in totp but i mainly use it as a reference libray when tagging songs when i'm not sure about there history, hope it helps...Tayla

www.everyhit.com is exactly what I’m looking for… THAAANK YOU

Inviato Mon 09 Apr 07 @ 2:55 pm
And remember, you are going to play only 50 or 60 songs at most, so don't drain your payroll on
5000 oldies.

Inviato Mon 09 Apr 07 @ 3:37 pm
hi paul

glad i could help but i would still use top of the pops database as your main reference as it holds every top 40 hit that has been played on radio or tv in the uk since 1964, as for your 50s selection you cant really go wrong with early motown and favorites in the rock & roll genre like elvis, buddy holly etc and dont forget i know it may sound daft but it good be a show saver especially if they are asking for 50s stuff get hold of some "big band" tunes you'll not go wrong in getting a selection of glen miller music the main man for that genre, just play the more up tempo tracks or the slower ones if you think the floor will take it, have a good one...Tayla

Inviato Mon 09 Apr 07 @ 9:25 pm
bryantpb wrote :
And remember, you are going to play only 50 or 60 songs at most, so don't drain your payroll on
5000 oldies.

Thanks for the tip.. I have the music I’m uncertain what’s what…

Inviato Tue 10 Apr 07 @ 4:47 am
bryantpb wrote :
5000 oldies.

That will not be the case with oldies, as they are not 5 minute tracks. Most oldies are only about 3 minutes. So, you will need about 20 songs per hour x 5 hours = 100 songs, give or take a few here and there. Remember, you will still play during a cocktail hr, during dinner, first dance, cake cutting, etc. You really don't stop playing. At least I don't.

Inviato Tue 10 Apr 07 @ 6:04 am
hi paul

man and his music is right early vinyl music only averaged two and half to three minutes long so you do the maths, there you go got the music for the night, NOT. everyone's correct when they say you only need x amount of records to cover the evening only if your not taking requests! i would suggest a minimum of three hundred songs but far better if you had around five hundred, its a gamble i know on the investment but this type of party and its probable wide range of ages (dont forget to throw in one or two cheesey and dance ones for the younger ones) usually gets you repeat business from the guests and not forgetting the venue its self, show the management that you can cater for all age groups and they will usually ask you back or at least get your number, if not leave a card with them dont be shy they could be to busy to think about it at the time and regret it later when another party comes up.

Paul if it helps get me a copy of what the clients are requesting to get an idea of the flavour of music their after and how much time you got before the event, then i could rustle up a "list for guidance" what type of music and artists might be best to have in your toolbox that could possibly help you on the night just pm if you like.....Tayla

PS. who sang chapel of love, lol..see above..

Inviato Tue 10 Apr 07 @ 10:19 am
paulettecerra wrote :
I just booked a 5 hour wedding anniversary and they want all oldies, 50’s and 60’s.. They are going to email me a list of their favorite artist but I don’t think that will last 5 hours..
I’m looking for popular artist, song titles charts from the 50’s, 60’s and early 70’s..
Anyone have a link to find such lists???

Thanks

They want all 50 - 60s music.. have you discussed the other generations?

What about the different genre of music for that time period ( doo wop, rock, motown, ect.... ) what is your library made up of.

Inviato Tue 10 Apr 07 @ 7:35 pm
From the Client;;
What we like is the Doo Wap era, as you can see. We do not want any Rap or Hard Rock. Most of our guests will be in the 55 - 65 year range. There will be some younger people there but they'll just have to suffer through it!

Barry White
Rod Stewart (lastest not his early years)
Marvin Gaye
Thurston Harris - Itty Bitty Pretty One
Bobby Freeman
Temptations ( all that you have )
Platters ( all that you have )
Sam Cooke
Jackie Wilson
Jerry Butler
The Doves
The Dells - Oh What A Night
Harvey and the Moonglows - Ten Commandments
Toon Weavers
The Crest or the Shields?? - Sixteen Candles
Five Satins - In the Still of the Night
Shout - the Isley Brothers
Little Richard
The Drifters
Lloyd Price - Stagger Lee and Kansas City
Fats Domino - ( all that you have )
Give me that Old Time Rock and Roll - ??
Out of Sight Out of Mind (so the story goes) ??
Silouettes - ??
Still the One - the Rascals
Creedance Clearwater
When a Man love a Woman - Percy Sledge
At Last - Etta James
Its A Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong
Unforgetable - Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole together.
And any others you may have that you think would be good.

Inviato Wed 11 Apr 07 @ 2:50 am
Paulettecerra: I see that you have an email and phone number listed on your blog... which is best to chat about your needs - best hours to communicate by phone.

I'm mountain time

Inviato Wed 11 Apr 07 @ 6:06 pm
bogartPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Inviato Wed 11 Apr 07 @ 8:31 pm
paulettecerra wrote :
From the Client;;
What we like is the Doo Wap era, as you can see. We do not want any Rap or Hard Rock. Most of our guests will be in the 55 - 65 year range. There will be some younger people there but they'll just have to suffer through it!

Barry White
Rod Stewart (lastest not his early years)
Marvin Gaye
Thurston Harris - Itty Bitty Pretty One
Bobby Freeman
Temptations ( all that you have )
Platters ( all that you have )
Sam Cooke
Jackie Wilson
Jerry Butler
The Doves
The Dells - Oh What A Night
Harvey and the Moonglows - Ten Commandments
Toon Weavers
The Crest or the Shields?? - Sixteen Candles
Five Satins - In the Still of the Night
Shout - the Isley Brothers
Little Richard
The Drifters
Lloyd Price - Stagger Lee and Kansas City
Fats Domino - ( all that you have )
Give me that Old Time Rock and Roll - ??
Out of Sight Out of Mind (so the story goes) ??
Silouettes - ??
Still the One - the Rascals
Creedance Clearwater
When a Man love a Woman - Percy Sledge
At Last - Etta James
Its A Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong
Unforgetable - Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole together.
And any others you may have that you think would be good.

A little heads up; The Dells made two versions of "Oh What A Night", a 50s version and a 60s version. I would go with the 60s version, there is a difference. I would go with Wilbert Harrison's version of "Kansas City". The Rays did "Silhouettes", and the Silhouettes did "Get a Job". The Five Keys did "Out Of, Sight Out Of Mind". Bob Seger did "Old Time Rock & Roll". The Tune Weavers did "Happy, Happy Birthday Baby". Bobby Freeman's hit was "Do You Want To Dance".

Inviato Wed 11 Apr 07 @ 9:11 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)