Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Weeeeeeee : ) Total Control - Page: 9

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

@ paulettecerra

Do you think that The Numark Digital I/O solves the problem of the headphones issue?........would I have better volume in headphones as well as master out ?

I tried the NTC directly with my sound card and the volume is so lame...........so I tried it with my Stanton M.202 mixer and it sounds very nice, but the point of buying the NTC was to get rid of the Stanton mixer, and I don't see no point of having 2 mixers on the table, eventhough I know for a fact the NTC is only a MIDI Controller.

I've been considering the pc speakers issue you metioned before, but I really don't like having in my setups homemade stuff (eventhough I'm pretty good at it), I rather spend a bit more money and get the Numark Digital I/O, but I just wanted to make sure it works before I spend the $100.00

If you, or anybody can answer that question, I would really apreciated, as I already sold my mixer and sound card, but I have to give it to the guy until next week.

Thanks for the help.

Inviato Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 2:57 am
There was much discussion on here about that very issue; The lack of a soundcard in the Total Control. Some useres (like Me) were quite put out witht eh fact that to use mic and headphones you had to have a second mixer.

I consider all jog-dail/craossfader type controllers mixers. Because treally they are, They have volumes,eq's and a crossfader. PFL buttons etc. They also have cd-player controls. But still they resemble a mixer more than anything else.

Personally Numark missed it on this one item.

Needs an Internal mounted Soundcard.

Absolutely Nessesary.

Comments like the Above are what I expected...... my soundcard headphone output is tooo quite...etc....

In other words you require a mixer for your mixer.

Not Good Enough. At Least from a consumers point of view.

This is why I went with the DMC2 option.
A) If I need a mixer for my mixer - why buy a second mixer?
B) It's a Damn fine controller
C) I already have a working set-up- why drastically change it?
D) I don't use cd players or turntables any more; but cases designed for 19"mixers/controllers and turntables are easily available.

To me the suggestion of scavaging an amp form a set of PC speakers to use as a line booster for headphones is just plain old Bush League.

Numark Screwed up.

What really makes me ticked is that 6 months ago there was a forum thread on here that was supposed to be read by Numark; asking what DJ's wanted in a table top controller. Most of them at the top of their list said a Soundcard.

Here's the link: http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/64139/General_Discussion/Develop_a_Numark_Controller_(give_your_ideas_directly_to_Numark_here_).html?highlight=numark%20controller

I was hoping they would have read that for any last minute design changes, and Put a damn amplified soundcard in the damn thing.

I ranted a bit here. I honestly thought our input would not have fallen on deaf ears.

I'm enjoying my DMC2 though!!!

Inviato Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 4:54 am
It's not a mixer, it's a midi controller, much like your DMC2, but it just happens to have a fader as well, and be a table top model. Your hardware mixer doesn't have jog wheels, effects controls, loop controls, song selection controls, play, cue, cue point controls, and so forth for VDJ. As far as the headphone problem, you get a decent sound card, plug your headphones into that. I have a creative labs Audigy 2 PCMCIA card, and the output on that is enough to burn my ears off, not chopped up cheap speakers needed. You can also plug a mic into that, if you want. As for myself, I would not use a midi mixer alone, with no hardware mixer, but you could.

It's a midi controller, that's all. Some people would like a table top version, and be able to crossfade right there, the NTC is for these people.

Inviato Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 7:44 am
It absolutly is a mixer. It's a mixer that happens to have CD jog wheels, and a play/pause/cue buttons. Yes it's Midi. But it's still a controller/mixer. The DMC is a Controller only.
Same with:
Kontrol DJ
MP3 Controll
Allen and Heath Xzone 3d
VEstax Vci -100
Faderfox
Feena FMDJ9303

The problem with these controllers is that they are all mixer-styled midi controllers. You need a mixer for your mixer. No argument about tabletop or not. They look like mixers,act like mixers and should make noise like mixers.

Mixer/Controllers with soundcards:
M-audio Xponent (locked to torq I beleive)
Hercules HDC 1 & MK2 (gen 1 was P.O.S MkII is very nice)
RANE TTm-57 (kinda useless unless you're using serato)
BCD 2000/3000 (gen 1 =P.O.S, Gen2? - we'll see)

These are examples of what these companies should be doing - Just not locking them to certain software.

If I purchase a mixer/controller - I shouldn't need a mixer to hear my head phones - or to transfer sound to a shielded cable (rca's shouldn't be used to a power amp- personal preference)

Inviato Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 8:15 am
Well personally. Mine has already been sent back. Its cheap...As rough as I am with equipment I would break it in a month. The only good aspects are that it syncs great, you don't need timecode, and its fairly inexpensive. I use timecode and would rather have a professional grade/sized mixer. I agree with Marcel, Numark missed it on this one. I know its 'only a midi controller' but, not even a headphone jack? I need another mixer to or the DJ I/O thing? Yeah right. My Nou 4 is on its way! Thats a Midi Controller/Mixer! I just hope it syncs close to how good Total Control does.

Inviato Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 9:41 am
yeah the DJ I/O works pretty good and with my headphones which have a volume thing on them i barely turn it up, so yeah try it out if u want

Inviato Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 10:16 am
Wow... it seems like this device is a total dissapointment. I run a laptop and a MK2 so I rely on the MK2 to act as my sound card.

So this NTC has no sound card, a lag on the crossfader, and its not true total control (touch sensitive wheels).

Pass.

Inviato Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 5:01 pm
-----------------------QUOTE-------------------------
It absolutly is a mixer. It's a mixer that happens to have CD jog wheels, and a play/pause/cue buttons. Yes it's Midi. But it's still a controller/mixer. The DMC is a Controller only.
Same with:
Kontrol DJ
MP3 Controll
Allen and Heath Xzone 3d
VEstax Vci -100
Faderfox
Feena FMDJ9303
------------------------------------------------

RESPONSE:
"Just happens to have CD job wheels, play/pause/cue buttons" also along with effects and loop controls, amoung other things....LOL... Yeah, and your DMC2 is really just a mixer minus the fader. For how bad all of the above products are, and how the manufacturers all missed something big, there are a lot of them out there, and quite a few that are hugely popular.

--------------------QUOTE----------------------------
The problem with these controllers is that they are all mixer-styled midi controllers. You need a mixer for your mixer. No argument about tabletop or not. They look like mixers,act like mixers and should make noise like mixers.

Mixer/Controllers with soundcards:
M-audio Xponent (locked to torq I beleive)
Hercules HDC 1 & MK2 (gen 1 was P.O.S MkII is very nice)
RANE TTm-57 (kinda useless unless you're using serato)
BCD 2000/3000 (gen 1 =P.O.S, Gen2? - we'll see)

These are examples of what these companies should be doing - Just not locking them to certain software.

RESPONSE:
Yes, BCD2000 is a prime example of what companies should be doing? The MKII is a fine product? Most people using the MKII are using another mixer for the crossfade, so they are "using a mixer for their mixer". The Rane is not really an option for the VDJ/Cue, and the Xponent, while NOT locked for Torq, is $600, ...more than twice the price, so apples to oranges price point (of course you will get a better product if you spend more than twice as much, usually). Also, my inexpensive Audigy 2 sound card will walk all over the built in sound card in that MKII. Yes, companies that are doing what they should be doing.....right....

----------------------QUOTE---------------------------
If I purchase a mixer/controller - I shouldn't need a mixer to hear my head phones - or to transfer sound to a shielded cable (rca's shouldn't be used to a power amp- personal preference) "

RESPONSE:
YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE ANOTHER MIXER TO HEAR YOUR HEADPHONES. Why in the world would you need a mixer to hear your headphones. Don't you know how to plug your headphones into a sound card? If you're output is too low, you are using a crappy sound card, or extremely high impedence or cheap headphones. Get DJ headphones and a decent sound card, and you will be fine.

In closing, sure, this mixer does not meet your needs. That's okay, but it's not a reason to be mad at it. A dump truck doesn't meet my needs for everyday driving, but I'm not made at the manufacturer for not making it smaller like other vehicles. Numark obviously didn't miss their goal, as I am very happy with the product, and so are a lot of others that bothered to research the product before buying it. We new what we were getting, and it is a good fit.

Here's the thing. I think people who have got their panties bunched up, are people who where expecting another MKII product, but made by Numark. Numark didn't see a lot of point in doing that, as there already is a MKII. A good marketter is not going to want to just make a product that is somewhat better than someone elses product. They are going to see first if there is a large group of people where were not happy with that "other" product, and why. If they find a significant group there, then they will market to those people instead of those that were perfectly happy with the MKII. I think they also see the same disadvantages to a built in sound card that myself and others do. If you build in a sound card, it better be one hell of a sound card, or it's going to be a draw back to a lot of customers. The built in sound card in the MKII is mediocre. I know this was a huge frustration to a friend of mine who picked up the MKII. He had a Audigy 2 PCMCIA card like mine, and found the built in Hercules card to be not nearly as good, but also found that he could not find a way to use his Audigy card instead of the built in Hercules sound card. He hasn't used it much since. He is taking a serious look at the Numark controller, specifically because he can use his Audigy instead.

Each product has it's place. For people who do want an all in one mixer, and do not have particularly high demands from their mixer, and want it cheap, the MKII will do the job.

Inviato Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 5:27 pm
Here are my thoughts on the various controllers:

I am going to only list controllers with a reasonably good following.

Hercules MKII -- about $250 -- This controller is for a DH who is on a budget, and wants something small and compact. Some will use it in addition to their regular mixer, others may use it as their only mixer. Drawbacks are that it is a bit crowded, particularly the proximity of the fader to the jog/scratch wheels. Another draw back is mediocre sound card and latency. However, the sound card isn't particularly bad, it gets the job done, and the unit seems to be reliable enough from reviews.

Numark Total Control -- $250 + cost of a good sound card. This turns out to be a little more expensive, and take a bit more knowledge to set up. It has a, in my opinion, far better layout of controls than the MKII. Jog/scratch wheels are not too close to other controls, and is a reasonable distance from the fader. Controls are responsive, latency seems to be primarily limited to the midi interface, as opposed to the faster HID interface on controllers up the ladder. Draw back is that you can't just plug in your headphones, and you can not plug in other devices directly into it, such as a microphone. While you can use the mixer on it's own, it's definitely not recommended. The strong points, again, are layout, more control over the software than the MKII, more user friendly browsing of files from the controller, and the ability to use a much better sound card if desired.

DMC2 -- $400 + cost of a good sound card, + cost of the full version of Cue or VDJ, in order to use it's full functions with a mixer. Cue LE is included, but does not support separate outputs for the controller, just master out and headphone out, so you can not output to two separate channels on your mixer, so unless you plan on mixing between your DMC2 channels using the fader on your laptop screen, you need to purchase the full version of Cue or VDJ, which is around another $280. So your total cost, if you do not already have the full version of VDJ or Cue, would be $400 + around $280 + $sound card.
The DMC2 is definitely in a different price range. HOWEVER, A DMC2 WITH A MIXER, AND THE FULL VERSION OF CUE OR VDJ WOULD BE FAR SUPERIOR TO EITHER THE NUMARK TOTAL CONTROL, OR THE MKII. No comparison, the DMC2 with a mixer is a better combination, hands down. ...and yes, certainly worth the higher cost. Metal case, better loop control, just better control, and lower latency overall. Definitely better if you can afford it. Perhaps if my business picks up, I might even upgrade to it sometime in the future, who knows?

Vestax VCI-100 -- $500 + Sound card + $300ish for VDJ/Cue. This controller is, I think, primarily just going to appeal to people who really like the idea of a midi table top controller like the NTC, don't mind using another mixer in conjuction, but of MUCH HIGHER QUALITY. Something they can do some reasonably good scratching on (I've seen a demo of someone doing just that), and something a LOT more durable.... metal case, better faders, and so forth. It's in the same kind of price range as the DMC2, and I think they are at the same level, so it's going to be a matter of what the individual wants, what his DJ style is.

Xponent. -- $600 + VDJ/Cue. I think this is going to be for the guy that really likes the idea of "all in one" like the MKII, but wants a lot more surface area and control, and higher quality, and doesn't mind the price. The biggest downside, I would think, would be getting it to work properly with VDJ/Cue, and whether the job/scratch wheel position at the top of the controller instead of the bottom, is a concern. ANOTHER interesting drawback, is there appears to be NO MIC INPUT OR CONTROL. You are either going to have to plug your mic into your laptop's mix input, and control it from there, or you are still going to need another mixer.

In summary, it's about meeting the needs of each user. If you have a larger budget, it is without question that you can get a better product. Even with a larger budget, it is still going to be about what a person prefers. If the NTC does not meet your needs, don't get it. Get something else that meets your needs. Personally, I'd like to have my NTC, and also a DMC2, and a VCI-100, and an Xponent as well...LOL... wish I had that kind of money falling out of my pockets. :)

Inviato Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 6:12 pm
MUSIKGUATE wrote :
@ paulettecerra

Do you think that The Numark Digital I/O solves the problem of the headphones issue?........would I have better volume in headphones as well as master out ?

I tried the NTC directly with my sound card and the volume is so lame...........so I tried it with my Stanton M.202 mixer and it sounds very nice, but the point of buying the NTC was to get rid of the Stanton mixer, and I don't see no point of having 2 mixers on the table, eventhough I know for a fact the NTC is only a MIDI Controller.

I've been considering the pc speakers issue you metioned before, but I really don't like having in my setups homemade stuff (eventhough I'm pretty good at it), I rather spend a bit more money and get the Numark Digital I/O, but I just wanted to make sure it works before I spend the $100.00

If you, or anybody can answer that question, I would really apreciated, as I already sold my mixer and sound card, but I have to give it to the guy until next week.

Thanks for the help.

The piece that come from the pc speakers is only about 2” by 2”. You set the NTC cue volume half way the set the circuit board volume.,. wrap the board in electrical tap and the volume knob so not to short out our the knob from moving, then hide it in your case. Out of sight .

It’s very, very easy. If you need assistance, please just ask.

Inviato Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 9:59 pm
TexZKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
DJ Marcel_1 wrote :
It absolutly is a mixer.

No, it isn't. It just sends USB-MIDI messages to the software, which interprets them to be volume controls.

DJ Marcel_1 wrote :
Same with:
Allen and Heath Xzone 3d

THIS is a mixer with MIDI capabilities! It has a very high-quality mixer inside. It' a hardware digital soundcard built into a X-One:92 with MIDI streaming features, that's why it costs so much.

Anyway, a hardware mixer is ALWAYS needed! If you use short shielded cables, you'll never have noises inside. With a hardware mixer you can plug other standard audio devices, such as microphones, CDJs, vinyls and so on. It's always appreciated... even if it's small!

Inviato Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 10:29 pm
I wonder if the creative xmod will do the job as same as the numark dj I/O?

Inviato Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 11:47 pm
@ pauletecerra

Thanks for the offer, but I think I can make a decent modification with it. I will send you pics when I'm done.

By the way, have you noticed that the sync function on the NTC is a lot better than the VDJ itself ?........remeber when, sometimes you press the sync button on the software the waveforms did sync but not align in the first beat, but the next one?.....I've tried SEVERAL TIMES with the NTC and always sync the songs perfectly where it has to sync........I love that.

The other thing I like is the versatility that the NTC has regarding the effects and samplers, the looping function is also perfect, the feeling of a button is not the same as the felling of the mouse.

Whatever people say about this, regardless that is not a sound card,for me, the NTC is a great gadget to have with VDJ.

Inviato Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 1:47 am
Hi Musikguate

I to have the NTC, but i don't notice the Sync working any differently.
I don't pretend to know the inner workings of VDJ inside out, but I'm sure the NTC just sends a midi signal to VDJ which prompts the sync action, so it would be just the same as pressing the sync button via the gui or any another supported controller.

Inviato Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 11:01 am
@ digimixer

I know exactly what you mean, I do understand the way MIDI controllers work, maybe is just my imagination or maybe it is a coincidence, but the truth is that not onece I have sync a song in a different beat with the NTC, whitch happened to me very often without it.

Like I said maybe it's just my imagination, but when you are in love with someone or something, you only see the good qualities not the bad ones.......jajajajajajajaja..........

Thanks for the comment......

Peace !!!

Inviato Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 3:18 pm
Hi Musikguate

Hope i didn't offend, didnt intend to, i can tell from your previous posts you're a knowledgable guy.
Sometimes hard to get message across as you want to in just text. Causes me no end of problems with me & my girldriend :)

Strange, maybe there is more than one kind of syncing action built into VDJ and the NTC buttons are mapped to the one not normally used??... but just a wild stab in the dark really.

When i use the NTC sync button, it doesn't always align the 1st beat to the 1st beat, just which ever one is closest. Maybe you've unknowingly found some little known secret setting somewhere?
Or maybe you have a special NTC, just like Herbie is special VW Beetle?? :)

Not fair.. want my one to do what yours is doing !

Inviato Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 3:33 pm
No, that's exactly my point, normaly it will allign to the closest beat, and NTC does that, but almost everytime I've done it with the Software itself, eventhough it was very cloe to the beat I wanted to be align, it would jump the the next.

Like I said, maybe is just my imagination.................jejejejejeje

Now, I have one question, have you noticed that in the effects knob, you can choose the desire effect right?.......well it happend that if I have a flanger effect, when I turn the knob to look for other effects, only browse arround 3 or 4 related effects to the flanger. Another example, I have a loopout effect, and when I want to browse to a flanger effect, it will only display 3 other looping effects, does that happened to you also?

Inviato Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 7:52 pm
MUSIKGUATE wrote :
No, that's exactly my point, normaly it will allign to the closest beat, and NTC does that, but almost everytime I've done it with the Software itself, eventhough it was very cloe to the beat I wanted to be align, it would jump the the next.

Like I said, maybe is just my imagination.................jejejejejeje

Now, I have one question, have you noticed that in the effects knob, you can choose the desire effect right?.......well it happend that if I have a flanger effect, when I turn the knob to look for other effects, only browse arround 3 or 4 related effects to the flanger. Another example, I have a loopout effect, and when I want to browse to a flanger effect, it will only display 3 other looping effects, does that happened to you also?

Diddo MUS. I def seen a the dif. love it

Inviato Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 9:54 pm
Hi Musikguate

I can scroll through all the effects via the dedicated knob on the NTC, i do only have the default effects however.

Inviato Fri 15 Jun 07 @ 10:25 am
Something i've just discovered (Well it may be in the manual but i haven't read it) is that when you use the big NTC dial to scroll through the record case, if you push down on the big dial, the two Load buttons light up, you can know click the left load button to shift the focus to a pane to the left or the right load button to shift focus to the pane to the right. The less we have to use the keyboard/mouse the better

Apologies if you already knew this, i guess it's hardly a revalation!

Inviato Fri 15 Jun 07 @ 10:31 am
97%