Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: *IMPORTANT*Virtual Dj on Dj contests - Page: 1

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

Hi,well,I'm from Portugal and on july there will be a DJ contest but they only accept Cd players and Vinyl,and i would like to know if on other countries they accept Digital Dj's or only traditional dj's ,because i think that is a wrong policy.If we (Djing Software users) can't use our way to mix,can we do something?can someone help me to convince contest presidents that digital Dj's are professional dj's as others?

Thanks

Inviato Sat 19 May 07 @ 10:13 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
why not use tcv ?

http://www.virtualdj.com/products/timecode/ meets their requirements pretty much

any one who thinks less of digital djs

are afaid of the future, of somthing they dont understand

and they worry about being undercut by people who can do video timecodes
thousands of songs

all of a light laptop

Inviato Sat 19 May 07 @ 10:22 pm
They don't accept Timecoded vinyl too...but i think that is all about the minds,in about 2 or 3 years,there will be more mp3 used than CD so i hope that next year to use Virtual dj on a contest and i also hope soon that other countries accept this method,if somebody knows about any country that accepts Dj software for use at contests,please let me know....

Inviato Sat 19 May 07 @ 10:33 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
That's actually kind of strange since most DMC dj's for example press their own vinyl, so basicly it like having all the tracks and cue's all nice and neat on 2 vinyls, which IMO is the same as TCV use. It would be pretty nice to see contests that allow pc based tcv use just to see the advantages it can have over traditional setups, maybe some day.

Inviato Mon 21 May 07 @ 3:30 pm
Yes,but unfortunately,they still think like past,i think that we should do something about Digital Dj's on Contests,i feel kinda bad,because I'm missing opportunities to show what i can do and get out of the room,me,as many others want their opportunity to get themselves known on the "night world" and i think that the matter is the results and not exactly the materials that we work with....

Inviato Mon 21 May 07 @ 6:44 pm
Why not start your own competition? Get a group of digital DJs together, get all of their venues on board as sponsors. Contact your liquor distributors for sponsorship and advertisement. Talk to a radio station for sponsorship. If you have ten DJs, do a ten week build up, prelim, showcase, or whatever you want to call it. You can rotate between clubs, and have the final at a big venue. A college campus is great. Build this up as the "Future Is Now", only digital DJs, and VJs. The possibilities are endless. I did a lot of these in the 70s and 80s. Good luck.

Inviato Mon 21 May 07 @ 7:18 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
There have been several "Laptop DJ competitions" in the UK already, where ONLY DJ's using laptops may enter :), the focus is on creativity and the 'modern' DJ, not the 'classic' image that most people already associate with a DJ (Two turntables and a mixer).

Here is such an event:
http://www.djvjbattle.co.uk/competition

Inviato Mon 21 May 07 @ 9:21 pm
The problem is that up until now there is really only one software package that would allow for a seamless and quick changeover between DJs without the need to replace complete computer systems/restart/reboot or anything like that. So which software would be used? Would they have to setup a DJset for each type of software?

A bit messy I am afraid..

Inviato Mon 21 May 07 @ 9:55 pm
At a proper competition, space shouldn't be an issue, you should have enough space for several set-ups side by side, laptops can be inter-changed in between acts.

But your right, SSL is great for its instant connectivity and inter-changability, but I think VDJ is working on a simular feature, for instant read of Connected HD's, Multi-database support, and Auto Database seek would be nice too, it's all been asked for, so we shall see.

Inviato Mon 21 May 07 @ 10:54 pm
xgl_djPRO InfinityMember since 2004
turbostar76 wrote :
Yes,but unfortunately,they still think like past,i think that we should do something about Digital Dj's on Contests,i feel kinda bad,because I'm missing opportunities to show what i can do and get out of the room,me,as many others want their opportunity to get themselves known on the "night world" and i think that the matter is the results and not exactly the materials that we work with....

Sounds like you saying you can’t put together a good mix unless it is computer aided. If that’s the case, it would be unfair if you entered with guys using strictly vinyl and cd’s. It would be cheating if some people are using pc’s & others not (even though some guys who use strictly vinyl/cd’s can still make better mixes then some of us TCV/TCD guys)

If everyone was using TCV, then it would be fair… but as suggested you can start up your own competition for digital dj's.

Inviato Tue 22 May 07 @ 7:21 am
Well it's all down to different classes, you wouldn't enter just any car into a race? It's the same here, different tools should be in different classes/groups.

Inviato Tue 22 May 07 @ 7:18 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
excellent point bagpuss

Tayla

Inviato Tue 22 May 07 @ 8:03 pm
i agree with all of you,i think that some different classes should be available on dj contests,because the PC is an advantage to CD/Vinyl but we must recognize that the sound is better than any PC,so the final result can be better than PC.Anyway,i like the idea of http://www.djvjbattle.co.uk/competition perhaps,i should work on an event like this one....Thanks for all your opinions....any ideas would be appreciated.....

Inviato Tue 22 May 07 @ 8:15 pm
xgl_dj wrote :
turbostar76 wrote :

Sounds like you saying you can’t put together a good mix unless it is computer aided. If that’s the case, it would be unfair if you entered with guys using strictly vinyl and cd’s. It would be cheating if some people are using pc’s & others not (even though some guys who use strictly vinyl/cd’s can still make better mixes then some of us TCV/TCD guys)

If everyone was using TCV, then it would be fair… but as suggested you can start up your own competition for digital dj's.

Fair!! Since when has competition been based on fairness? Even in a horse race, they are not matched evenly. The only way the 1000 to 1 will win, is if God trips the two front runners. If you want to enter into a competition with limited tools, that's on you. Me, I want to use as many tools and tricks as I am allowed. When I show up to a gun fight, I will bring my 9mm with an extended clip. If you want to bring your six shot revolver, that's OK. That still does not mean I will win, because you may be a better shot. I will still take my chances. As far as a computer is concerned, this is 2007, and computers are in every facet of life. The music you play is done by one guy sitting on a toilet, with a laptop. You are downloading your music with a computer. So this anti computer DJ thing, is tired and childish. If you think you are that good with just two turntables, then accept all comers, regardless of what they use. Unless you are afraid the world will see what I can do. We stopped cranking our cars when electronic ignition came out.

Inviato Tue 22 May 07 @ 8:26 pm
If the Digital DJ uses Absolute mode they should be able to compete.

Inviato Tue 22 May 07 @ 9:01 pm
Only meant to be an opinion........(yes I know they're like assholes - everyone's got one)

The only people who give a rats ass about DJ competitions are:

DJ gear manufactures - who may or may not sponsor somebody.

The sponsoring promoter - who wants to sell tickets to make up the prize money

The Bar/Venue - cause he has to open his venue on an off night and it damn well better pay.

and last but not least

The compeating DJ's, cause they think they're great - and might be.

I'm comfortably sitting in my dj booth every thursday, friday and sunday and doing mobile on saturdays.
I much prefer a 20 hour residency over a 20 minute set.

Inviato Wed 23 May 07 @ 2:31 am
Like a Laptop ONLY, like no timecodes? as in who can doubleclick their mouse the best lol

I guess if they can make an olympics so people can compete that arent as good, they might as well make a special dmc for dj's that arent as good

Inviato Wed 23 May 07 @ 4:14 am
It would be pretty sweet to integrate laptop Dj'ing with Turntable Dj'ing in competitions, or have Laptop Dj's have their own contests, like that link listed.

Actually here where I live, awhile back some years, a local Dance Club had its own Dance/House mix competition night. It was only using Turntables/Cds, and it was for anyone to enter. I went a couple of times with some friends to watch. The contest was basically judged on Beatmixing, Energy/Crowd Response, Song/Set Selection etc.... It was ok, for what it was. Seeing how only the niche House/Dance music crowd went to check it out. Far cry from the DMC/ITF battles.

Now I guess thats what most associate Dj contests with is DMC and ITF competitions "Scratch/Turntablists". But if some didn't know, DMC which means Disco Mix Club was originally a House music competition. Until Dj Cheese in 1986 introduced "scratching" to the competition, then it went along to be a HipHop competition. I got that from watching the sweet movie "SCRATCH", which I own! =D

I think that a Laptop "scratch" or whatever dj could be just as creative and skilled, if not more than a traditional TT dj. It just seems that the scratch thing has a hold on the mainstream competitions. Which I love, but I'd like to see more House/Dance competitions or other styles too thrown in the mix. I suck so I wont b entering ;P

Mix On!

Inviato Wed 23 May 07 @ 4:45 am
Totally aware of the disco mix club, and i wish more dj's would incorporate mixing into their dmc sets. But the fact you can see the waveform of the music on the laptop, basically leaves the entire competition to song selection lol

Inviato Wed 23 May 07 @ 5:05 am
xgl_djPRO InfinityMember since 2004
A Man and His Music wrote :

Fair!! Since when has competition been based on fairness? Even in a horse race, they are not matched evenly. The only way the 1000 to 1 will win, is if God trips the two front runners. If you want to enter into a competition with limited tools, that's on you. Me, I want to use as many tools and tricks as I am allowed. When I show up to a gun fight, I will bring my 9mm with an extended clip. If you want to bring your six shot revolver, that's OK. That still does not mean I will win, because you may be a better shot. I will still take my chances. As far as a computer is concerned, this is 2007, and computers are in every facet of life. The music you play is done by one guy sitting on a toilet, with a laptop. You are downloading your music with a computer. So this anti computer DJ thing, is tired and childish. If you think you are that good with just two turntables, then accept all comers, regardless of what they use. Unless you are afraid the world will see what I can do. We stopped cranking our cars when electronic ignition came out.

I think you missed my point entirely. It is certainly not about being anti computer. Computer aided mixing versus plain vinyl/cd is unfairly matched that’s all. Bagpuss said it best “different tools should be in different classes/groups.”.

Inviato Wed 23 May 07 @ 11:37 am
87%