Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Trouble with Data Decay

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

I've been having problems with data decay on cd's and DVD's after burning.

I'll back up some MP3's or Vids on a cd or DVD and later when I go to look at the vid or listen to the MP3 it won;t playback in any player.

I have a HP-lightscribe DVD Burner, using Roxio CD/DVD Creator V6. I usually burn at max speed and usually these are data disc backups

Should I ditch the DVD method and just get 4 gig Memory sticks?
or
Change Burning software?

Frustration with much time being wasted.

Inviato Mon 11 Jun 07 @ 1:38 am
i take a little 2 gig thumb drive and in a haphazard fashion backup new promos and downloads from my main system to the back up system .......the reason i don't have to be perfectly organized with that is that every month i backup my entire music drive to another drive on the back up system......i put it all in a new folder on the usual drive check it to make sure everything is okay, then delete the old out of date folder .... so i just use the thumb drive for a little bit of transfer i also print my playlists on a regular basis and soon will be using a standalone database.... hope that helps

Inviato Mon 11 Jun 07 @ 2:05 am
DazmaxPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Its worth bearing in mind how writable discs work, ie they use chemicals in the disc that are sensitive to the heat produced by the writers laser. Works great but can cause big problems. With the kind of environments us DJs work in the discs can be subject to heat ,humidity, smoke laden air just to name a few. Writable discs dont cope with this very well and can fail much faster than in the domestic environment. Try sticking to write once media like CD-R or DVD-R if you must use re writeable media try the cartridge type DVD RAM (if your writer supports it). Try reducing the writing speed it can make a big difference. The big no no for any of these discs is heat. Try writing a CD-r then leave it in your car on a hot day and you will see what I mean.

As has already been suggested a secondary hard drive is I believe a far better solution.

Best of luck

DAZ

Inviato Mon 11 Jun 07 @ 10:32 pm
I'm starting to lean towards the usb hard drive as back-up

Inviato Mon 11 Jun 07 @ 11:05 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)